BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, still trying to figure out what is 'normal' for a KRS.

Is it normal to get low frequency vibes through the footpegs? Not enough to make feet go numb. I'm not sure if the vibes are from the drivetrain, engine or lack of damping in the shock. ( Bike's done 25K but handles great while soaking up bunps no problem. )

·
Registered
351 Posts
vibes not good

:( You should not be getting these bad vibes, is it constant with change in rpm (staying in same gear, varying rpm) or only specific to gear selected? Suspect it is related to drive shaft but if related to rpm and does not matter to gear select would suspect engine issue.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You will probably get vibes around 4500 or so RPMs. i get it in the seat, grips, and pegs.if so, upshift and all the vibes go away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vibes

engine rpm makes no difference, frequency of vibes does increase as speed increases, think I need to run the bike on the centerstand and see if the vibes are still there, might be able to isolate the source better.

I'm not very technical, what could cause the driveshaft to vibrate?

cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Drive Shaft

I would think worn U joints or driveshaft balance weights falling off would cause the vribrations, at least that is true on cars.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I never experienced any vibs on mines. Do you know what condition the shaft splines are in?

·
Registered
351 Posts
bigmadstu said:
engine rpm makes no difference, frequency of vibes does increase as speed increases, think I need to run the bike on the centerstand and see if the vibes are still there, might be able to isolate the source better.

I'm not very technical, what could cause the driveshaft to vibrate?

cheers
Since you report vibration related to spead (not gear? not rpm), I think it is not likely related to engine, or shaft. I would suspect other things like wheel balance on rear (since no transfer of vibration to front end).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't get any vibes through the handlebars or the foot pegs. I do get a little rough spot between 4k and 5k rpms, but that isn't translated much through the pegs. I get alot of vibration through the center stand when I drop my heel down on the center stand foot peg. Apparently this is not isolated from the engine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vibes

Paid a bit more attention to this on the ride home tonight, feels like it is engine or transmission. Think I'll check the wheel balance, check the throttle balance and eliminate the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Popeye said:
I don't get any vibes through the handlebars or the foot pegs. I do get a little rough spot between 4k and 5k rpms, but that isn't translated much through the pegs. I get alot of vibration through the center stand when I drop my heel down on the center stand foot peg. Apparently this is not isolated from the engine.
I have the same thing with the stand. It's directly bolted to the transmission and not isolated from the frame. My '04KRS has a slight vibration (blurs the mirrors) between 4,700-5,000rpm. in any gear. I understand this is normal and improves with miles.
Bruce C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts