BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 04 GT. Transitioning from a Harley. I notice a slight vibration apparently comming from the engine area?? right around 78 mph that does not stop so far up to ~ 115 mph. It is very consistent, below 78 mph it goes away, above 78 mph it returns and stays. No reduction on power or anything else, just a little unsettling. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
68 Posts
What happens if you downshift to 5th? Check the tightness of the bolts and screws holding the exhaust on. Many times that is an exhaust rattle.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I believe a vibration that comes in at 4,700rpm and smoothes out at 5,000rpm is normal. But one that doesn't stop is not. Check all the exhaust brackets and engine to manifold nuts.
Bruce C

·
Registered
227 Posts
My '04 RS with 4,400 miles is smooth at all engine speed. Except at idle, as we all know. Your experience does not sound normal.

Ron

·
Registered
796 Posts
wondering about tire balance. By the time tire imbalance gets to the rider it can feel like something else.

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Where, Oh Where, Are you Tonight ?

banjoman said:
I just bought a 04 GT. Transitioning from a Harley. I notice a slight vibration apparently comming from the engine area?? right around 78 mph that does not stop so far up to ~ 115 mph. It is very consistent, below 78 mph it goes away, above 78 mph it returns and stays. No reduction on power or anything else, just a little unsettling. Any thoughts??
I also think tires, but try this. It's free, and it can't do any harm.

Losen the three 10mm screws (head size) on the muffler. Take your palms and slap the muffler side to side (like rubbing a dogs ears, just a lot rougher). Tighten the three screws. Sounds impossible, but it's smoothed out vibrations before. :) And like I said, it's a free try.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check tire balance front and rear, either check the motor mount torque values yourself or have a dealer do it, then trashcan the stock exhaust and mount up a Staintune. Better sound, less weight, and no more vibratoin in the 4K range--dead smooth from idle to redline. I put 22K on my '04 GT in the 12 months I've owned it, it's smoother now than it was new--to the extent that in twisties I've at times bumped up against the rev limiter without realizing I was getting close....
You shouldn't be getting any appreciable vibration and for sure should not vibration that stays with you as the RPM increase.
Just MHO,
Best,

GTRider

·
Registered
486 Posts
Some K-GT's have a slight vibraton in the low 4000 rpm range. Mine does around 4200 to 4300 rpm. Above or below, it is smooth as silk.

I read on some forum that a Remus exahust and Rhine West chip cures that. Personally, I don't mind.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It should be fairly easy to figure out whether the vibration is in the frame/running gear or the engine/exhaust system. Wait till you're well into the vibration regime, open the clutch, close the throttle and let the engine speed sag down to idle. If the vibration continues, you know the engine is not the problem. If it goes away, you know it is.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
tkozloff said:
Wait till you're well into the vibration regime, open the clutch, close the throttle and let the engine speed sag down to idle.
And... make sure to bring the rpm's back up before you dump the clutch.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I can't help but chuckle. Coming off a harley? Didn't Harley write the book on vibration? Just kidding really. Tires would be first choice. Header pipes and exhaust second choice. Maybe a close running Harley third choice. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts