BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always wanted to learn how to vinyl wrap and yesterday I finally mustered up courage to try it...

It's pretty tedious. Like head slamming frustrating if you don't have the right tools or patients. If you plan on doing this I suggest buying the starter tool kit and a heat gun.

Vinyl was cheap to buy on Amazon. I bought a small roll (20"x60") for $15. I went to Harbor Freight and bought their in house brand heat gun for $29.99 (12 heating settings which comes in very helpful!). Aside from that, I did not buy the starter tool kit that was on Amazon... I should have though!

Anyways, it took me damn near 6 hours to get the little bit I got done. I didn't have enough vinyl to wrap everything I wanted, so I ordered one more roll. I'll post before and after pics.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting idea on your silver/yellow, it’s one of a kind, for sure!

You’re right about the wrapping process being tedious. I know a company that does custom wraps and watching them work—it’s an art.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Interesting idea on your silver/yellow, it’s one of a kind, for sure!

You’re right about the wrapping process being tedious. I know a company that does custom wraps and watching them work—it’s an art.
it is, but then there is also vinyl film and vinyl film, cheap stuff is often really hard to work with and the expensive like 3M are actually really forgiving and easy. so for a newbie it is best to spend some extra $ on the vinyl film..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m an old fud, but I like it. It’s different, but don’t get too carried away with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with the fugly guy. I hate to say this, but I don't understand the aesthetic improvement you've made, and I'm an artist. Maybe with a different pattern I might feel different. If you like that pattern, then I say do the whole bike in it. Typically, it's the fairings that are done with the belly pan a solid color. I understand your wanting to be expressive but there are unofficial "rules". Like in music, when soloing, the player basically sticks to the pentatonic scale because, and from centuries of composing, and trial and error, that pattern has proven to be most pleasing to the ears of western culture. Most recently, and I'm talking the late '50s, there was the "Free Jazz" movement, where everybody in the band just played whatever they felt like playing at the time, and they did so all at once. All it really amounted to was noise. With motorcycles, I venture to say that the factory designers (artists in their own right) have their own set of "rules" that they've developed over time, one of which is colorful fairings and solid color accents, such as belly pans, tail section inserts, racing stripes, etc. What you're doing here, I think, is creating visual noise, and if that was your goal then so be it. But I wouldn't pay to go look at it any more than I'd pay to hear "Free Jazz".

The objective of art is to evoke emotion in the listener or viewer. Those emotions could run from happiness to sorrow, from love to hate, from panic or chaos to serenity. What are you striving for?

I applaud your desire to take on this effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally, I was going to go with a solid pearl color wrap on the fairings. But after watching DIY videos of people on YouTube, I opted to first try vinyl wrapping smaller areas of the bike. I decided on the design because it had a lot going on and if I were to mess up, it would easily be hidden. I like it... I'm sure that's all that matters. I wanted to share my experience in case others needed motivation to try something new as well. Especially, since this is a K bike that is starting to become more affordable/available to second hand buyers. I like the style of the bike and hope to see more wild and out of the ordinary modifications in the future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's unique and it appeases you - and that IS all that matters.

I have a MadStad windscreen on my K12 and I have been told it is hideous and 'detracts from the natural lines of the bike."
Oh. Well. It works for me. With the stock windshield, the bike is almost "un-rideable."
Now it is a dream to ride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now all you need to do is learn how to select an appropriate pattern 😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
My profession for the last 40+ years until retirement, was a graphic artist, pinstriper and sign painter. I agree with Felix's assessment of "visual noise" and "free jazz". Both must have their respective audiences as everyone has different tastes in art and music. Having said that, I respect your desire and attempt to do something that you think is cool. Don't worry too much about what others think of your art. Your bike will still give you a smile, ugly or not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i'm curious about your MadStad / they come in different lengths/heights is yours 18 20 or 22?

i live in hot florida and i'm concerned . . does it block all air flow or just reduce buffeting or ?

does air flow under the shield to cool you ?

tks - i have a 16 K13s and love love love it

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm curious about your MadStad / they come in different lengths/heights is yours 18 20 or 22?

i live in hot florida and i'm concerned . . does it block all air flow or just reduce buffeting or ?

does air flow under the shield to cool you ?

tks - i have a 16 K13s and love love love it
Greg,
I have the 18" - at 5'8", I wish they made a 16" as the 18" sends the wind/rain way over my head, and I think a 16" would look better.
But to address your heat question, I too live in FL - NWFL - and the bottom opening on the shield allows airflow in the cockpit area.

The beauty of MadStad's business model is that if you get and don't like it? They'll take it back within 30 days. Or they'll swap out sizes/colors. Yes, shipping is on you, but that's still a pretty good deal.
Cheers,
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts