BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 31 August, I had my bike in for the 6000 mile service. I reported having problems getting the BMW charger (the one with four lights on top going from 0/3., 1/3. 2/3, 3/3) to work using the power socket wired to the Canbus. It also would not work on the accesory slots I had added when I bought the bike in June.

Here is what the mechanic told me. Do not use the charger in the socket wired to the Canbus! It can cause about $1,500 worth of damages by blowing out a chip on one of the computers. BMW has issued a bulletin to this effect, but when I reported the problems nobody seemed to know about.

The other socket were wired to a plug that only works when the ignition is on. Not such a good solution for charging a battery.

Steve Willis

·
Registered
22 Posts
This uncertainty is why I direct wired one of the accessory outlets below the seat to the battery. I should be able to use any battery tender type charger through that port. I should be able to use any amp draw for heated clothing without the canbus shutting down,as it can with the 4(?) amp limit on the factory wired outlet.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I just bought a new '07 GT, and I went in to the dealership today to ask if my old Battery Tender would work. The answer was NO, and they sold me the BMW one you're talking about.

The new charger comes with a service bulletin which specifically talks about how to plug it in. First, turn the ignition key on, then plug in the charger to the accessory plug, then plug the charger into the outlet, then turn the key off.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Chuck, you forget to say onemississippi, twomississippi, threemississippi, fourmississippi, fivemississippi, THEN turn the key off. :D

BMW also states that you should use the battery charger once a week.

John
06 CGM KGT

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Well, the manual doesn't say anything about one mississippi, but I'll take your word for it. No kidding, BMW says to charge the battery once a week? Where does it say that?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ok from the top, here's the complete instructions as provided with the BMW charger I purchased.

BMW CAN Bus Battery Instructions: To properly charge your battery:
1. Place your motorcycle in a secure storage position.
2. Plug the charger into a nearby wall outlet.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON position - Do not start the motorcycle.
4. Connect the charger to the accessory socket.
5. Wait at least 5 seconds then turn the ignition to the OFF position.
6. Disconnect once the battery is charged (The 3/3 light will be lit.)

*This charging process needs to be performed on a weekly basis.
*If the charger is being connected directly to the battery, the ignition does not need to cycled.

And that's it!

John
06 CGM KGT

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Hmmm, OK that's interesting. Well, the Service Bulletin I was talking about which came with the charger had some directions highlighted, and those are the ones I posted previously. Actually, I was thinking about charging somewhere near that frequently anyway, because I've been commuting about fifteen miles to work and back, and no other riding. In between, I've been going out to the bike in the garage and fooling with the computer each time I read something else in the manual. My bike looks at me and says, "Not again!" everytime I walk out and turn the light on in the garage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
John06KGT said:
Ok from the top, here's the complete instructions as provided with the BMW charger I purchased.

*This charging process needs to be performed on a weekly basis.
*If the charger is being connected directly to the battery, the ignition does not need to cycled.[/B]

And that's it!

John
06 CGM KGT
John,

We have the same bike and battery charger. I seem to remember reading in the battery
instructions that the final light 3/3 is also the storage mode. It was my understanding that the charger will automatically take care of the battery, but after a few days the charger shuts down. I have not used your sequence of connecting and that may make the difference. I presently have an Optimate connected directly to the battery with no
issues of turning off. Seeing that I paid over $100 for the BMW charger I would rather use
what was designed for the GT.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got mine the other day and the directions were worthless. Nothing about plugging the unit into the bike, instead it talked about hooking up to the positive and negative terminals, yet the charger had the canbus plug. In addition, the three lights do NOT light up for 2 seconds. Called the dealer and they told me how to use the charger, but didnt' say anything about unplugging it and using it once a week. I had assumed it worked like a standard trickle charger. All this said, I followed their directions, slightly different, plug in charger, turn on bike, plug in charger, turn off bike. Lights didn't come on except for the red charging light and the green light showing it was plugged in. Over the next couple of hours the lights cycled towards green, works fine. After reading this thread, I'll unplug the bike after it gets charged and do the routine about once week. Which strikes me as a little odd for charging device meant to maintain the batter for long term storage.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
From what I was told, The charger can be left plugged in and on, and it will continue to monitor the battery and do a necessary trickle to float the battery when needed. If this new charger has to be turned on or reset on a regular basis, who needs it?. If this is the case, I will wire another port direct to the battery and use my Battery Tender from my previous BMW. I have both the wet cell and the AGM/Gel Battery Tenders.

Anybody know the answer as to what happens after the charger has gone to the final phase? Does the charger shut down and not go back on without human intervention?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
charger

Hi, all the discussion I have read about chargers, it seems if you use the CAN buss plug, you better use the BMW charger or else. If you have a seperate plug wired directly to the battery you can use your battery tender (and all your heated clothes etc. !!!) For me I would just re wire that CAN buss plug to the battery (with fuse) and for get it. beech

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
To clarify, because I'm thickheaded sometimes: When you guys talk about a "CANBUS plug", are you talking about some sort of plug on the wiring harness, or are you talking about the accessory outlet on the left side near my knee?

The BMW charger we're all talking about (the version I bought, anyway) is wired with a plug for the accessory outlet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm talking about the accessory outlet on the left side of the bike near your knee. If this charger works like a standard battery tender and can be left on for an extended time, that would be a plus, my dealer never said to unplug it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Guys, lunch time so I have a few minutes to catch up. I did some additional snooping and here's some of what I found lifted from www.largiader.com.

CAN-bus battery chargers
On the R1200GS, BMW used the YTX14BS battery, an AGM design. Because the accessory socket is controlled by ZFE (the onboard computer), another special charger is needed which will talk to the computer and convince it to turn on the accessory socket. This charger is the "gray aquarium pump" part 71 60 7 688 865. Other chargers will work until they go into float mode, at which point ZFE will turn the accessory socket off for good. BMW authorizes use of their older chargers 7 676 472 and 7 679 040 (superseded by the 656 charger) if they are connected directly to the battery terminals, while any non-BMW charger used must have a maximum charge voltage of 14.4V and the battery must be disconnected from the motorcycle.

I knew as most did about the sensitivity of amp draw on the Canbus system but I had not considered that the accessory outlet would shut down when using a standard battery tender. Another suggestion that's nothing new is to add an additional accessory plug that is wired directly to the battery with a 15 amp inline fuse. Always "ON", this can be used for heated accessories and charging. I'll keep digging if there's more questions.

John
06 CGM KGT

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an battery charger from my Harley days and I was wondering something. For the winter is there anything wrong with banana clipping right to the battery. I would plug and un plug every other week.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The manual on my 07 suggest the battery would need to be disconnected first, kind of a hassle if you live in an area like I do,,, freezing for a week or two then in the 60's for a day.
I decided to play it safe and use the BMW unit for warranty reasons. :hypocrite
NV

·
Registered
457 Posts
Originally Quoted by MassGT
I have an battery charger from my Harley days and I was wondering something. For the winter is there anything wrong with banana clipping right to the battery. I would plug and un plug every other week.
I have an original BMW branded battery charger that came with my KRS too many years ago and somehow during the delivery of my KGT the use of this charger came up in the conversation. The short answer is that if it isn't specifically designed to work with GEL batteries I wouldn't use it even if it was hooked up directly to the battery. What I have been told is that you can fry a GEL battery using an old style battery charger intended for use with lead acid filled batteries. At the time I just decided it wasn't worth the risk and purchased the really cool looking and expense CANBUS battery charger.

John
06 CGM KGT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts