BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to ascertain whether or not Xenon was an oprion for the GT in 2006. I thought it was but I'm hearing conflicting reports now. I wish I had a copy of the original spec sheet from the BMW Motorrad web site but do not.

Anyway, I'd like to retrofit my 2006 with the OEM xenon if possible. Yes, I've read and appreciated the aftermarket writeups from Grif and others, but I'd like to keep it original if possible. If that means it wasn't an option, then I'll forego it.

I've looked on Max BMW web site and a part number (63127701740) is available for the entire unit, and Chicago BMW has a "decent" price for it ($562.00), but just wondered also if any '06 owner had the OEM unit retrofitted, and if that required a software upgrade.

What I'm ultimately trying to get away wth is getting it for $562, putting it in myself, and having the dealer zap in the new firmware for a fee (that is id the thing wouldn't be confused and start with a new item installed in it).

Just wondering about a possible weekend project.

Thanks-

B.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
My 2006 has it. But it's Euro-spec.
For the US market there was no Xenon in 2006 AFAIK. Something late with certification or so.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
No factory Xenon for '06 US bikes. Although the upgraded headlight setup should bolt right in.

However, spending $562 + dealer software upgrade really is foolish when you can get a perfectly serviceable HID kit for <$90. We've installed literally dozens of these kits on the BMWLT.com forum. Hell, if you're within riding distance of SoCal I'd even install one for you. :)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
The 06's had the electric servo brakes. No tire monitor nor Xenon lights.

The 07's got rid of the electric servos and began adding the Xenon lights once they got DOT approval in the U.S. The tire pressure monitor appeared shortly thereafter as did the traction control.

The 08's were thrown together with whatever they had leftover - along with some of the old Glacier Green R1100RT paint they accidentally sprayed on the silver ones. :D

The 09's will truly be new.

Mack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts