BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put water wetter in my K1200S for a BMW track day. My dealer says he has to do this for me as there is a special tool/machine to drain the bike. Does anyone know if I can do this myself? And what tools I will need? Also is there any downside in keeping water wetter in the bike? Dealer says I will not have the anti corrosive abilities of the antifreeze!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The cooling system is pressurized. Without a pump you will not extract or replace the antifreeze that is in some tiny nooks and crannies in the engine (the head I believe). To do it yourself you would need to find a way to pressurize the system while you replace the fluid.

Water wetter has anti corrosive properties. But I don't believe it will lower the boiling point like glycol will. So it's bad for bumper to bumper traffic in the summer.

My strategy is to pay the BMW extortionist to put Wetter in my bike in spring, then back to glycol in the Fall. I do get a couple of 32 degree nights in Memphis.

You can also check on Engine Ice. Good to -20, and legal at most trackdays, even GSuperMotard races. It cools better than antifreeze anyway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Catatafish said:
To do it yourself you would need to find a way to pressurize the system while you replace the fluid.
I rather would say you have to *evacuate* the system for refilling. BMW has a special tool for that (operated with pressure air). My dealer told me that refilling without evacuating the systems will cause engine damage because of overheating (that is what he was told by the engeneers at BMW mech training).

Manfred

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.