BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me get it out of my system. I think the GT is beautiful/awesome styling, has all of the farkles one could want, and I am wetting my pants awaiting its arrival. There, shoot me! Whatever is available on it, hell, I'm getting it! (other than GPS/Nav system).

But c'mon guys, there was more activity on this forum when it was all speculation! My 12S is gonna be history . . . so anyone who wants it, make an offer. I already got the offer from the dealer! No offers, heck, I'll just keep it. Five bikes (lest you forget the clutchless FJR on order).

Now that I have come off as uhhhh, arrogant (didn't mean to be), uhhhhh bling, nah, not that either, just love cycles! I like to ride them, polish them, just look at them, whatever.

Hey, speaking of guys that love cycles, where's that guy from somewhere in Louisiana (hope Katrina didn't do him harm) that ended his replies with something like, can't remember it exactly, ",,,holy cow I love motorcycles?"

Ok, I am tired of seeing NADA on this forum Miles Miller, do you read me?

Who's gonna get one. Who thinks they suck? (must tell why) who's loves them but wants to wait for the bugs to settle out? (c'mon, it's a 12S/R with new skins/farkles.

Anything, puleeeeze!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Let me get it out of my system. I think the GT is beautiful/awesome styling, has all of the farkles one could want, and I am wetting my pants awaiting its arrival. There, shoot me! Whatever is available on it, hell, I'm getting it! (other than GPS/Nav system).

But c'mon guys, there was more activity on this forum when it was all speculation! My 12S is gonna be history . . . so anyone who wants it, make an offer. I already got the offer from the dealer! No offers, heck, I'll just keep it. Five bikes (lest you forget the clutchless FJR on order).

Now that I have come off as uhhhh, arrogant (didn't mean to be), uhhhhh bling, nah, not that either, just love cycles! I like to ride them, polish them, just look at them, whatever.

Hey, speaking of guys that love cycles, where's that guy from somewhere in Louisiana (hope Katrina didn't do him harm) that ended his replies with something like, can't remember it exactly, ",,,holy cow I love motorcycles?"

Ok, I am tired of seeing NADA on this forum Miles Miller, do you read me?

Who's gonna get one. Who thinks they suck? (must tell why) who's loves them but wants to wait for the bugs to settle out? (c'mon, it's a 12S/R with new skins/farkles.

Anything, puleeeeze!!!!!


This afternoon I tested a K1200R. Very fast, very aggressive, very KS without clothing.

Back at the shop I quizzed the owner about the KGT. His opinion is the new GT is a de-tuned KS-KR with relaxed ergos, lots of toys, more clothing than the KS, a big price tag and a big "WHY". ( Note my email address, created just for this forum:
[email protected])

According to him the GT has even greater limitations than the KS and even more than the KR. Unless, of course, you're a regular touring cyclist. He defines a regular touring cyclist as a rider who routinely travels, that is, 12 tours minimum annually, in excess of 1000 miles. He felt the GT would be a great commuter for someone living in , say, Atlanta and worked in Miami. Otherwise he said "what's the point?". There many more competent, more comfortable, more usable touring bikes available from BMW.

The GT , says shop owner "is an S, is an R, is a 4 cylinder hyper-bike that's over powered for most riders, and can't be used, legally, or safely, by most people who ride them. The new K series is just plain excessive. However, he says " If you want to blow out the cobwebs now and then, which seems the main purpose of the K series, get the R; it's less $, less to insure, and unapologetic about it's purpose. It is not pretending.

Of course, Bimmerphiles love excess, even if only 1% of us have, or ever will find the heart of K-darkness and survive. And we do, we really do love this stuff. This mechanical excess! What bliss!!! Oh what beguiling, seductive, unconscious substitute this is for the agony of sexless marriages, low wage - high demand work, small dicks and beat up egos this is! And, our beloved BMW has the answer; the Emperors magic-k pill.

It's a game. And for a few hours a month we enjoy the toys BMW creates, just for us. Unless of course we live North of Atlanta which means our pleasure is reduced to a few hours for a few months. And with 6 months riding time / 3 rides per month / three years ownership / $20,000 plus insurance, maintenance, toys, maintenance,,,sounds like 26K or so,,,hummm, it all comes to about 54 rides at around $490 per ride. We're one rich bunch aren't we!

But wait, that doesn't answer the question of what to do about the new KGT. The owner has a simple solution. Buy one of each, from him of course, and keep yourself busy thinking there's actually something to all this K-ness. And somewhere, between rides, payments and spousal disgust maybe you'll get the answer you've been looking for...that you should have gotten Blue instead of Grey, and so what if the trade value is so low,,,you just know the Blue will be the one.

Like they say: Keep your eyes open, stop day dreaming, and enjoy the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
[...And somewhere, between rides, payments and spousal disgust maybe you'll get the answer you've been looking for...that you should have gotten Blue instead of Grey, and so what if the trade value is so low,,,you just know the Blue will be the one.

Like they say: Keep your eyes open, stop day dreaming, and enjoy the ride.]
Gosh David, I tried to liven things up a bit on this forlorn forum that has denigrated to the point where, well, not to go there since don't want to insult anyone's thread: So, I get a diatribe on BMW's attempt at a touring machine, that looks damn good, and now you have to come and piss on my parade. I don't have payments, my spouse of 41 years is joyous that I have a hobby that keeps me out of her hair, and now you want me to throw it all in and become a model railroader, or worse yet, go out and buy a Viper or Ferrari Modena . . . blah, blah, blah!

Glad I awakened you!

Warmest Regards,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
John,

Hey, you got to admit when the bike was first rolled out in Milan, this forum was lit up with activity. Trying to keep track, I'd say that about fifty percent of the comments were positive vs. negative. Pretty good for just seeing pictures.

Faust? Well, he's always twisting someone or everyone's tail. Up until now, it's railing up and down about the excesses of the K-S. It does surprise me a little that he's quoting a shop owner and goes off on another tangent on the new GT. It seems a little difficult to believe a BMW dealer would unsell a product he needs to sell down the road, so to speak.

Have to say, though, that Faust has this kind of Mark Twain quality and is always an interesting read no matter what he is flailing at. Different than Twain's oratory on the American scene, is Faust's description of the BMW scene as it plays itself out in North America. We need Faust in my estimation. Hell, he says in 300 words what my neighbor tells me in one sentence when he sees me with the wash rag on both bikes: "Very serious toys, there, Miles"

My hope for revitalizing this board is now targeted at Long Beach next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed it shows up there and continues to make the Cycle World round of shows. After that, this forum will shut down until the bike arrives at dealers showrooms for testrides. And, that's the key, John. How will it perform? If it delivers, it will serve as a fast, agile touring machine when called on and then shorn of its bags, deliver sport bike performance. (it won't look as nice w/o bags as the K-S/R, though).

The guy your referring to from Louisiana went by the user name "Kasperwing". He posted a dozen times a day on the old forum and somehow got lost when that board went away and this one started. Ironically, his real name is "David".


Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
You know, many of us can ride the K to the upper reaches of it's performance, location and conditions notwithstanding. So, don't sell our fellows (me included) short on their capabilities to fully enjoy this fine machine. My take is that there is a definite "need" for a GT. My solo is an S, my 2-up is an 1150 RT. RT is an OK bike, a bit like a Ford, if you get my drift. I'm not keen on the 1200RT even though it is an improvement. But, my current RT is Ok for a trip, comfortable for a passenger, weak on the level of performance that I would prefer, etc. But, riding 2-up on the S, or 2-up on my old K/RS just doesn't get it for my passenger, even though they are far more satisfying for me.

So, as soon as I can ride the new GT to confirm it's virtues, I can mostly guarantee you that the bride and I will be doing our "ventures" on the new GT and I will be far more satisfied performance wise and she will be nice and comfy on her throne. By the way, what I hear from her in the Autocom most often is faster...let's get moving! Lucky me!
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
Faust said:
Of course, Bimmerphiles love excess, even if only 1% of us have, or ever will find the heart of K-darkness and survive. And we do, we really do love this stuff. This mechanical excess! What bliss!!! Oh what beguiling, seductive, unconscious substitute this is for the agony of sexless marriages, low wage - high demand work, small dicks and beat up egos this is! And, our beloved BMW has the answer; the Emperors magic-k pill.
Sad, funny, and true all in one paragraph.

Miles, it's not Mark Twain I think of when I read Faust's stuff, it's more like Hunter S Thompson. "Fear and Loathing in K-Darkness".

Gawddammit! Where's that "Welcome to the Dark Side" tagline when you need it. :D
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
I don't know where you get the idea that there was more activity before the announcement, but the stats would refute that statement.

Since the announcement, we've had oodles of pictures, the BMW announcement that went to the dealers, speculation on pricing, discussion of accessories, and quite a few comments regarding the asthetics.

I've already instructed my dealer to acquire me one with all the doodads (except the Navigator) in Blue. I think I've finally found something to replace the LT. I could never find that balance between the RS and the LT (having owned two RSs and one LT), and the new K1200GT appears to be that motorcycle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Maybe that will be a sweet spot for the GT; LT and Goldwing owners wanting something a little lighter and more powerful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Faust said:
Unless of course we live North of Atlanta which means our pleasure is reduced to a few hours for a few months.
I live North of Atlanta (Pacific Northwest) and can ride year 'round. Do have to throw on the rain gear and turn on the heated seat once in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
IMO, the GT will be a little on the weak side for my style of riding compared to the S. Also,
it will be a bit of a porker like the old GT. I can ride the S all day and be comfortable.

Just depends n your style of riding I guess. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[Hell, he says in 300 words what my neighbor tells me in one sentence when he sees me with the wash rag on both bikes: "Very serious toys, there, Miles" ]

Yes indeed, VERY SERIOUS TOYS!!! That's it, kasperwing. I remembered his name but not his login. He had a lot of commentary on everything and was as I best remember always just a bit shy of a 12S, for whatever reason.

LIke I said somewhere, "It's a good thing I am not into exotic cars!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
John,

It does surprise me a little that he's quoting a shop owner and goes off on another tangent on the new GT. It seems a little difficult to believe a BMW dealer would unsell a product he needs to sell down the road, so to speak.

Miles
FWIW, I know several shop owners who fret about (and discuss with riders/customers) what BMW gives them to sell. When the LT came out, my dealer at the time was really down on it. When the CS was introduced, several dealers told me it was a nice bike but priced way out of its niche.

Me, I'm glad dealers don't just keep the party line. I know several who give a big earfull to factory reps about new bikes.

I have talked to individual sales people who take the attitude that, if BMW made it, then it's the best. And I would never buy a bike from one of those.:yeah:
 

·
"Hey Y'all"
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Faust said:
............... The GT , says shop owner "is an S, is an R, is a 4 cylinder hyper-bike that's over powered for most riders, and can't be used, legally, or safely, by most people who ride them. The new K series is just plain excessive. ............
In the mid to late 70s I owned a 412hp (dyno'd) 1969 Mach I (1971 Boss 351 engine from Holman-Moody) street car, since sold.
It ran high 7's to very, very low 8s in the 1/8th and was a daily driver. Power is what one makes of it, cars or bikes.

We LOVED our K75s, but passes had to be planned if you were going uphill. Don't even get me started on having to shift a twin all the time. The K1100RS was wonderful. Power again. Not as much as the FJ1200, but "more" than the prior BMW. Enter the 2002 K1200RS. Passing is now SAFER, due to the decreased exposure time and viable options should things go south in a hurry. Finally, the option to GO or BRAKE, and on a BMW to boot. :)

So I call BS on the statement, "...over powered for most riders, and can't be used, legally, or safely ...". I know you're just relaying what was said to you, but it's still
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:) Sigh [to take a deep audible breath (as in weariness or relief)]. I had no statistics regarding numbers of posts, new threads, whatever. Seemed it was just getting a bit uhhhh, stagnant on this forum. Just wanted to get the 'juices' flowing again. Seems I have succeeded, somewhat. heh heh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
sincGT said:
I live North of Atlanta (Pacific Northwest) and can ride year 'round. Do have to throw on the rain gear and turn on the heated seat once in a while.
Come south a few hundred miles! if it rains in So Cal it generally gets it all out of the way in Dec. and Jan. Not including last year!! :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
eljeffe said:
I've already instructed my dealer to acquire me one with all the doodads (except the Navigator) in Blue. I think I've finally found something to replace the LT. I could never find that balance between the RS and the LT (having owned two RSs and one LT), and the new K1200GT appears to be that motorcycle.
Congratulations Jeff.

Looks like you might be one of the first in the U.S. to be riding a new GT. These forums do seem to follow a path. First the rumors, then the pictures, the intro at the shows and finally the forum is changed over to the folks who are the owners and experience the motorcycle for themselves as well as those seriously tending toward the bike seeking information from those already riding the bike.

Maybe you have already done this, but it can't be too far from the K-S/R experience (albeit more sporty) and you might consider asking your dealer for a long test ride on one of these bikes to get the basic flavor of what's coming down the line on the new GT. You have read about the slight clunk in the first couple of gears on the K-S/R, but I'm guessing BMW will have resolved that issue with the GT; other than that it's the same basic engine, tranny, brakes, duo-lever suspension, esa, etc.

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
allenclarkson said:
FWIW, I know several shop owners who fret about (and discuss with riders/customers) what BMW gives them to sell. When the LT came out, my dealer at the time was really down on it. When the CS was introduced, several dealers told me it was a nice bike but priced way out of its niche.

Me, I'm glad dealers don't just keep the party line. I know several who give a big earfull to factory reps about new bikes.

I have talked to individual sales people who take the attitude that, if BMW made it, then it's the best. And I would never buy a bike from one of those.:yeah:
Allen,

Of course you're right. But can you imagine our mutual friend Faust "dealing" with the unsuspecting dealer? Here's a guy with the magic of a virtual linguist that can bend the ear of just about anyone to get a response he's looking for that appears the next day in print on our forums. And Faust is a good customer, seemingly buying expensive Beemers as his mood changes, i.e. from K-S's to GS's and who knows where his id will take him.

In my own experience with our local dealers, it does seem to me that they will not "bad-mouth" a given bike, so much as to steer a potential customer into the most appropriate motorcycle for his needs. For instance, there's no way that our salesguy would even think of recommending an LT for my wife's needs He knows her and knows what she would enjoy and be the most comfortable and safest riding as a BMW owner.

Miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Reno, NV dealer downplayed the KS too

When I went to the dealer in Reno to play with a KS, he said the bike was too fast for him, that it would either get him killed or he would lose his licence. So, naturally I had to have one!

It has almost gotten me killed because it CAN keep up with the Jap liter riders. Its just me who can't keep up!

Riding as fast at 50 as I can and still make it to 60!


Miles_Miller said:
John,

Hey, you got to admit when the bike was first rolled out in Milan, this forum was lit up with activity. Trying to keep track, I'd say that about fifty percent of the comments were positive vs. negative. Pretty good for just seeing pictures.

Faust? Well, he's always twisting someone or everyone's tail. Up until now, it's railing up and down about the excesses of the K-S. It does surprise me a little that he's quoting a shop owner and goes off on another tangent on the new GT. It seems a little difficult to believe a BMW dealer would unsell a product he needs to sell down the road, so to speak.

Have to say, though, that Faust has this kind of Mark Twain quality and is always an interesting read no matter what he is flailing at. Different than Twain's oratory on the American scene, is Faust's description of the BMW scene as it plays itself out in North America. We need Faust in my estimation. Hell, he says in 300 words what my neighbor tells me in one sentence when he sees me with the wash rag on both bikes: "Very serious toys, there, Miles"

My hope for revitalizing this board is now targeted at Long Beach next weekend. Keep your fingers crossed it shows up there and continues to make the Cycle World round of shows. After that, this forum will shut down until the bike arrives at dealers showrooms for testrides. And, that's the key, John. How will it perform? If it delivers, it will serve as a fast, agile touring machine when called on and then shorn of its bags, deliver sport bike performance. (it won't look as nice w/o bags as the K-S/R, though).

The guy your referring to from Louisiana went by the user name "Kasperwing". He posted a dozen times a day on the old forum and somehow got lost when that board went away and this one started. Ironically, his real name is "David".


Miles
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
I haven't been on an R yet, but I do have a couple hundred miles on a K1200S. Aside from the David Robb looks, all I can say is Wow, what a great bike! The first time I had a chance to take it for an extended ride was in Bentonville, AR at the BMW Dealer there. Nice guys, by the way, and I highly recommend them. Anyway, they had an 18 mile loop they recommended. 6 miles of freeway to a county road, and then 10 miles of twisties, hills, and sweepers, followed by 2 miles of streets back to the dealer. The bike I road was ESA equipped, so the ride up the freeway was nice and smooth after I found the "comfort" setting. Then I was in the twisties. I had forgotten to change the ESA until I came to the first tight turn. After a bit of a pucker on some gravel on the turn, I remember the ESA and set it for the next turns. It is amazing how much difference there is between "comfort" versus "sport" in the twisties.

Another time, I was able to ride the local dealer's demo mule. I've bought 5 bikes from this dealer in the past 5 years, so they allowed me to take a K1200S out for an extended ride. I was out for 4 hours. What a hoot! There was some buzz from the engine, but nothing that bothered me too much. I do have to agree with others that have reported the new suspension's feel on the road was a little unnerving at first, but once you were "at peace" with the bike, it was like you could anticipate how it would feel. The only thing I did not like about the bike was the seating position. To me, it was not much different than my MV, and because I am a tall fat fuck, I just couldn't see myself riding this bike for 500 and 1000 mile days like I can on the LT.

I believe the new GT will give me the balance between the sport I loved in my two K1200RSs and the travelling capabilities of my K1200LT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would tend to differ with you Miles on the GT's heritage and baggage brought forth. I think the xmission clunk will still be there and the quirky idle. But, BTW, these are really nothings and as we both know don't amount to a hill of beans relative to the bike's overall performance, looks, quality, and of course roadworthiness!

Looks like a winner to me and I tend to agree with Jeff. Altho', I don't see the LT leaving but more likely the 12S.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top