BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ocelot, a 1990 K75C, has a weep hole bottom center aft of what appears to be where the tranny lives. A drop of oil appears there from time to time. Not enough to leave a spot on the floor. Runs grand, clutch tight, no probs.

I lubed both drive shaft ends yesterday. Both dry as bone and slightly rusted. So I expect the clutch input splines are probably equally dry. I'll tear into that next weekend. When I do, what will I find in there most likely weeping which I ought to have a gasket, seal, or O-ring ready to replace? Or is it apt to be something which is more trouble than it's worth?

gobbly gobble

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in 1991, stopped me from taking my K100RS to Alaska, had to buy a new GS to do so. :teeth

But your answer is.....the famous clutch O-Ring, BMW part number 11211460456. :rolleyes: But check the parts fiche, there are other parts that should be replaced when you do that job, and do not forget to mark all the clutch parts in order to realign them properly in balance. :thumb:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
motor oil

·
Registered
129 Posts
Weepage

Mine appears to be on a one drop every six months schedule (and it never makes it to the garage floor... must come off while riding).

I figured when I got in there for the spline lube, I'd figure out which it was between the clutch O ring and the main seal.... I got in there and decided it wasn't enough just yet to mess with it.

I'm planning on having everything on hand for the next spline lube though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nuttin hunny

So are we saying it's basically nothing to worry about in the short term?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yup,

I suspect more flow from the hole and a slipping clutch would be a different matter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
ditto, had same on my old K75s for thousands of miles, never seemed to get worse or better, wiped the dew drop away every so often.

the weep hole's doing its job, giving you a heads-up and protecting the clutch plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts