BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booked in my S for its next service and asked about getting 7.0 at the same time. My dealer said that they would look at it and upgrade it if necessary. I asked what he meant and he said that the bike itself would say if it needed the upgrade when they plugged it into the computer. He also said that they couldn't upgrade it if the computer didn't allow them to.

So, I will be getting 7.0 in two weeks time IF my bike allows it????

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was under the impression that the BMS-K module would only update 12 times...

Like someone to confirm that...

Bry

·
Registered
896 Posts
That only means that IF the bike already HAD 7.0 it wouldn't allow it to reload it. The bike tells the computer what software version is insatlled if there is a newer one it will prompt the tech to install the new one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Erik said:
That only means that IF the bike already HAD 7.0 it wouldn't allow it to reload it. The bike tells the computer what software version is installed if there is a newer one it will prompt the tech to install the new one.
Actually I think each software update is classified by BMW as either mandatory or not. The 7.0 update is not deemed "mandatory" by BMW. That classification also affects the download behavior of the service computer and bike ECU.

Mandatory software updates will automatically download to the bike, non-mandatory will not. The technician can override this and force the update.

Yes the bike ECU will only allow about 13 updates over the ECU lifetime, and some dealers resist the 7.0 update on this basis. However it's your bike and your decision, in my opinion.

My bike runs a lot better on 7.0, so I'm glad I had it done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What Joema said. 7.0 isn't mandatory so they don't install it automatically. They also don't do it free unless you report a problem with the bike that 7.0 resolves, then it is a warranty item. Low speed fueling and driveability, as well as the accessory socket shutdown issue are both addressed specifically by 7.0, so report these as issues and the dealer should install the new software free.

Pete

·
Registered
126 Posts
What About Performance
Since 6.0 Or 6.1 My Bike Pulls Like My Old K1200rs, I Had 5.0 Into It Before This Upgrade And It Was Pulling More Than It Does Right Now
I Didn't By An S For The Same Ferformance Than My Old Rs

Stroker

·
Registered
149 Posts
stroker said:
What About Performance...
That's a good question, but difficult to answer. To be perfectly honest, my KS doesn't feel quite as fast from a subjective standpoint. However with increasing miles you always get used to whatever power is there. It's just the way things are. Also 7.0 (at least on my bike) is much smoother. You often equate smoothness with lack of performance. Think about how many bike reviews called a certain smooth bike (say a Honda Blackbird) "deceptively fast". Why? Because EVEN AT THE SAME ACCELERATION, jerky, sudden power delivery with lots of vibration makes a bike feel faster. Smoothness feels subjectively slower.

The MotoGP documentary "Faster" http://www.fastermovie.com/ talked about how professional superbike riders are at first terrified of the 220 horsepower MotoGP bikes. Within a short period, they get used to it and complain it's not fast enough. We experience the same thing on street bikes.

Even if my KS is slightly slower (which I can't verify), it's so vastly improved in overall rideability and smoothness I think 7.0 is well worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts