BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took the BMW out to fill with gas then a few miles down the highway and back.
On the last intersection heading home down a country road I go to shift to second....nothing.
I look down and see my gear shift lever dangling. Mmmm that's not right.

I pulled over and took a look. The pivot bolt had sheared. After discerning all this I started off in 2nd and rode home.
On to the fix!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pivot bolt threaded into the kick stand base. There was some of it sticking out the opposite side so I knew I could grab it with a vise grip. But first I needed to remove the kickstand base. Three bolts with nuts on the back side. Of course in BMW's great engineering they used all torx bolts on this thing. So a T-30 was used on the first 8mm bolt with a 11mm nut on the back. Torx started the strip but nice and slow I got the nut off. BMW must have used some welding version of thread lock because it was tight. On to the next bolt. I moved it some...about 5mm gap between the bolt and base. At least the bolt was loose in the base (base not threaded). Then the torx stripped out. Useless.
I got my Dremel and cut all around behind the bolt head. Snapped the head off and took the bolt out the backside with the nut firmly attached.
Last bolt was in tighter quarters next to the kickstand pivot. It stripped right away and was tight still...no room behind head to get a Dremel wheel at. So I Dremeled the head to nothing. Pounded with a chisel at the bits hanging on and then punched the bolt out the backside.

I bought Stainless steel hex head bolts and nuts. All tight now and replaced the gear shift pivot bolt. Which was the main problem to begin with.

Those torx bolts suck. They strip too easily.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
288 Posts
You sure got into a hassle. Glad you solved it with some ingenuity. I got curious and looked up these 8mm bolts on a parts fiche. Between the GT model and the S model they have a different part number, but both 8mm fillister head bolts. Listed at a rating of 8.8. I went up to the garage and check out the situation. Unless you have a motorcycle lift it would be a pain to work on these as they are right at the bottom of course. I grabbed a T30 socket. It fits but rattles because it is a loose fit as it is too small. I slipped in a T40 and presto, the correct fit and so much stronger. I see how that bolt head would strip using a T30 tool.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow you had me worried that I really screwed up. I still had 2 bolts I took off and a T40 would NOT even enter the torx hole. T30 does. I guess they upped the size.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
288 Posts
That explains the part number difference. Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I've never understood why BMW love Torx - sound good in theory but they seem more prone to stripping heads to me. Glad you are OK.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts