BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been pretty happy with PR4's, getting about 5.5-6K out of the rear and 7K out of the front, with some cupping and loss of contour. Others easily exceed that milage on the same tires, but I'm a big guy and run them right to the edges. I just put on a set of RoadSmart III's and will see how they hold up.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I didn't reply at first because the question is difficult to answer. There is a simple tradeoff between tire lifetime and grip. Soft, grippy tires don't last long. Hard, not-so-grippy tires last a long time, but tend to slip on the road turing turns. Some sport-touring tires have dual compounds, with harder rubber in the center of the tire, and softer, grippier compounds on the sides, to better grab the road when you're leaned over.

A popular hard tire for the longest wear is probably the Metzler ME 880 tire. They are very hard. They are not very grippy.

Riding style and load have a lot to do with tire wear. I get well over 10,000 miles on Michelin PR2s, PR3s, and PR4s, but I have a relaxed riding style. A friend of mine is a very aggressive rider, and he wears out tires in half the miles that I do.

If you want the hardest tire that lasts the longest with poor grip: Metzler ME 880. If you want a tire with good overall riding properties and reasonable wear: Michelin Pilot Road 4 (PR4).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's
I had heard the Michelin pilot road 4 gt was a good long lasting tire.
Has anyone used the dunlop sportsmax roadsmart III?
Also I heard there was a higher load rated in each tire?
Thank's
Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts