BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The I-levels (Integration level) are 2 sets of numbers known as the Factory I-level and the Dealer Organization I-level (also known as "Actual I-level"). These I-levels represent the software/data release versions programmed into the vehicle.

The Factory I-level (sometimes referred to as the "model I-level", represents the software release when the vehicle was built.

The Actual I-level (sometimes referred to as "vehicle data release", represents the current software release programmed in the vehicle.

The I-level typically looks as follows: K024-09-08-500,

Where:

The 1st set ("K024") represent the chassis/build type (K024 represents all CAN-bus enabled models, K2x, K4x, K7x etc.) ,
The 2nd set ("09") represents the year of the release,
The 3rd set ("08") represents the month of the release and
The 4th set ("500") represent a version for that release - a bug fix or update on this could be: K024-09-08-550 or K024-09-08-600

I've read that If your motorcycle does not have the absolute latest I-level, it does NOT necessarily mean that it's Firmware is out of date or that it needs a Firmware update. The ECU's have a limited number of times that the Firmware can be updated, and thus a Firmware update is only released by BMW, for specific models... you might have a K024-08-02-500 I-level (released February 2008), but that does not mean that it is not the most up to date version of the Firmware available for your model!

Does anyone know if there is a list of the latest (up to date) I-levels per model?

My '07 K12GT shows:

Factory I-Level K024-07-01-500
Actual I-Level K024-08-01-500

Seems like pretty old firmware but it might actually be current considering the model is discontinued. :(

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wouldn't it just be easier to call a dealer and ask them what the most up to date "flash" is for the bike?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried two before posting. Got a "we don't know the numbers...we just plug 'em in and flash 'em" and "we are not aware of any changes that have been made to the K12/K13 software since new." :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Received this PM reply by a forum member that wishes to remain anonymous:

Keep in mind that, as you mention in your OP, the firmware can be updated a very limited number of times. This has to do with high reliability demands for the ECU. Therefore always think twice before re-flashing. If it works fine and there are no uber-cool features in a new release that you just have to have, leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The last flash would have been when the air box was replaced early on. It was a Beaudry thing. So '08 some time. And yes. I was always told it can only take so many. Never understood that logic. But if it ain't broke don't fix it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robert_W said:
The last flash would have been when the air box was replaced early on. It was a Beaudry thing. So '08 some time. And yes. I was always told it can only take so many. Never understood that logic. But if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Yup...finally tracked down some answers at Ride West in Seattle. Both closer dealers to me were pretty clueless. Ride west used the VIN and told me just what you just did. My OCD brain just needed to know. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts