BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for bar ends for my '06 1200gt. Any suggestions out there? I get the dreaded hand numbness from the buzzing in the grips after a bit. Bar ends have worked well for me in the past on other rides. Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
on the GT bikes the bars are rubber mounted....

the big torx bolt at opposite end of the bar weight is not supposed to be bottomed out (ie fully tightened). If you look at the point the aluminium riser joins the black handle bar tube, there's actually a tang that via its own rubber mount (with a tiny torx bolt 16 & 17 on part document) stops the handlebar tube from separating from the aluminum riser.

if you do the big torx bolt up tight, within 20 mins of riding above 4k rpm your hand will be tingling, undo the big torx 2 full turns and go for a ride... the vibration is mostly gone

there's probably a particular torque, but at 2 turns out its still about 40lb ft and it isn't going to loosen or fall out.... and indeed the bar can't fall off even if you throw that bolt in a skip

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showparts?id=0597-USA-11-2005-K44-BMW-K_1200_GT_0587,0597_&diagId=32_1649

·
Registered
83 Posts
a way to rubber mount handlebars using good engineering principles and a with sensible cost structure

a BMW method, the two ribbed items are the rubber mount for the right side (Bar-end and bolt not shown)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
if you check out the picture... At the bar end, the weight has no impact on the rubber mounting of the outer sleeve, it never touches it. on the inner end the torx bolt shouldn't make any difference to vibration issues. But it does on mine and they don't come out the factory tight. But they should.

I'm in the middle of extending my bars as they are pathetically narrow and no one makes anything wider. Having tried to remove the 15mm solid steel bar from the alloy bar hub / housing, I have been unsuccessful... it doesn't move, but I think I get why some have issues with vibration.

As per most BMs the grips are held on the bike by a bolt that goes through the handlebar. On the GT this hole is 7mm (or 8 not measured it) and the small bolt is designed to float never touching the inner bar. But I suspect the tolerances are not correct and grip retaining bolt fouls on the inner bar defeating the vibration resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts