BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

What type of beemer sits in your garage?

• K1200RS

Votes: 260 38.5%
  • K1200GT

Votes: 195 28.9%
  • K1200S

Votes: 81 12.0%
  • K1200R

Votes: 59 8.7%
  • some other K bike (K100, K75, K1, k1000)

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • some R bike - oilheads

Votes: 103 15.3%
  • some other fancy european bike (MV, Duc...)

Votes: 48 7.1%
  • some jap bike (yamaha, Honda, Kawa, Suz)

Votes: 77 11.4%
  • something American made

Votes: 41 6.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am fortunate to own both a Ducati 999r and a K1200S. The S is all around more rider friendly while being far more capable than my ability.

The Ducati is much more an exotic and pushes buttons that the BMW does not.

Both scoots are a blast.

My favorite has to be the the Duc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
xlr8r said:
I am fortunate to own both a Ducati 999r and a K1200S. The S is all around more rider friendly while being far more capable than my ability.

The Ducati is much more an exotic and pushes buttons that the BMW does not.

Both scoots are a blast.

My favorite has to be the the Duc.
I have a KRS and a 996 and agree with what xlr8r said. If you've never had the pleasure of being on a Ducati in the canyons, you may not understand why we love our Duc's so much.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I like my GS the best. Too many tickets on the K and too many great dirt roads here for the GS.

I can't wait until the K is paid for and then I can send it home to Deutschland where it will be free to roam at it's 200km cruising speed. :bmw:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The K bike is my favorite.

The Duc is faster overall, handles like it's on rails and is beautiful. The prettiest torture rack I've ever rode!

The H-D is nice for not-in-a-hurry-to-get-anywhere cruising and is comfortable.

The K mixes the best of both these bikes and is a superb all around bike for me. She definitely gets the most road time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The K12S is my favorite Street Bike . My 996 (slightly breathed on) is the best track bike I have ever ridden.
Doesnt take alot to see that while the K1200S would be fun on the track it just isnt at 996 levels in that environment.
However on the street it hangs with any bike made.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
bob5150 said:
The Duc is faster overall, handles like it's on rails and is beautiful. The prettiest torture rack I've ever rode!
They sure are pretty. Love the looks. I positively lust for one, however being a large person (#260 and 6'4") they tend to be just a bit small. So small that when I would get on friends' Duc, they'd say I made the bike look like "butt floss" :(

So I got Wolfgang, fits like a glove and fast enough to "run with the Ducs".

·
Registered
79 Posts
Few bikes in the corrent stable:

1989 Honda CB-1, 400cc in-line 4 with 13500 rpm redline.

2000 KTM 660 Rallye

2000 Honda VFR800

2000 Honda XR650R street legal supermotard with Ohlins USD forks.

Used to own one of thse: 1998 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

Yes, I'm single and no kids. :D

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
As always, this kind of information is very interesting. There was some stat a couple years ago that the average K1200RS owner had an average of 2.2 bikes in the garage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am very happy to own a BMW K1200RS (03 white/blue zebra), a BMW K1 (black and yellow) and two Honda's (750's, for winter use).
The K12RS is a very nice tourer, has that amazing brake system and is well liked by me and my wifo too. She rides pillion, and does not ride a bike herself.
The K1 however is for me much more a sportsbike than the K12RS, even though it has less power. In curves I can lay the K1 far better on it's ears than the K12RS. The K1 dives when braking, but this is no disadvantage for me - it keeps the front wheel planted firmly. The K1 has a tube frame, more or less the same as the older K bikes, but it handles very good. The K1 has a different (better) front fork and maybe that is the difference. I also use a non-standard shock in the rear (German made Bilstein).
The Honda's are for winter use, when tere is a lot of salt on the roads and I do not want to risk my precious K bikes.

Greetings from Holland (with too many straight roads).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I own a 2006 K1200R with 2600 miles on it and a Honda VFR.

I absolutely love the VFR and am falling in love with the Beemer. Honestly, it's a hard decision to go in the garage and decide which one to ride on my time off. Life is good!

The VFR has less straight line power and speed but has the most loyal following of probably any bike Honda has ever made except for the Wing. The VFR is a GREAT all around bike. Good for long distances, great for the twisties (I live in them) and great for reliability. If a VFR could be killed, mine would be dead from hard twistie riding. I fricken love the bike.

The K1200R is also a great bike. I'm not quite glued to it yet as 2600 miles isn't enough to "be one with the bike". It has more raw straight line power, is very comfortable for me, but, in the twisties, I can run away from it with my VFR. The longer wheelbase of the BMW is good in some respects but one must REALLY understand and be able to execute cornering to beat the many more capable cornering bikes out there.

I think once I get rid of the Pilot Roads that came on the bike and get some real twistie tires on the bike, it will become more loveable. I'm also considering a 2007 CBR600RR. The reviews on this bike are almost too much to ignore.

Having the kid out of college with a Master's and having a decent income can be dangerous when it comes to toys. But the shit that comes with the income...nevermind. Life is good.... ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
My favorite bike is the one that gets me from point A to point B with the most grins per mile. I just picked up a '10 KGT this year after 3 years and 60k miles on my '03 KGT. I definitely felt more a part of the '03 when riding. When I first started riding the '10 I felt like I was sitting on top of a scooter... :ricky

After nearly 7k miles on the '10 I'm starting to get that old feeling back. Granted, one of the reasons I got rid of the old bike was 2 low sides within 6 months of each other. Wasn't the bikes fault, but I found it hard to get that 'trust' back.

Life is getting in the way of my regular riding routine this year. I'll ride through early December, depending on snow, and then she'll be stabled until March. Hoping to get to 12k!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts