BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I saw a GT seat in the classifieds, I would like to put a heated GT seat on my 98 KRS because it gets real cold up here at 9097 and I think it would help. I see on the parts fiche for GTs that there is a high and a low seat. My RS seat has two slots, one for high and one for low, so I had assumed the GT seat has only one slot, and the low GT seat corresponds to the low on the RS, and the high corresponds to the high RS, but I received one reply that indicates that the GT seat in fact has two positions also, and that the low position on the GT high seat corresponds to the high position on the RS seat, so presumably one could go even higher on the GT seat than the RS seat allows. By inference I assume that the high position on the GT low seat corresponds to the low RS position, such that the low slot on the GT seat allows you to go lower than the low position on the RS seat. Long story short, I use the high position on my RS seat, so I am trying to figure out which GT seat I need. The MAX BMW parts fiche show the GT high seat part number ends in 901, and the GT low ends in 848, I am assuming I need the 901 high seat seat in the low position to equal my RS seat in the high position. Can't find a dealer with one in stock to flip a GT seat over for me and tell me if it does indeed have two slots in it like my RS seat, so I will have to ask you folks for some advice before I shell out the $350 bucks. I am also presuming the RS and the GT seat are otherwise identical on top. I have found the wiring diagrams, so am ready to rock once I get this sorted out. Thanks, confused, Jack

·
Registered
362 Posts
The low GT seat looks like the RS seat. The high GT seat has that little bump on the passenger section. The high GT is thicker ( more foam) than the RS seat.
Attached is a picture of James Texas two bikes.
The Zebra has the GT seat and the Taxi has the RS seat.
If James sees this, maybe he can tell you if the high GT seat sits much higher than the RS seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent foto

I see, had no idea there was a difference in look. Are the GT seats adjustable in terms of having two slots like the RS seat? Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Lee said:
The low GT seat looks like the RS seat. The high GT seat has that little bump on the passenger section. The high GT is thicker ( more foam) than the RS seat.
Attached is a picture of James Texas two bikes.
The Zebra has the GT seat and the Taxi has the RS seat.
If James sees this, maybe he can tell you if the high GT seat sits much higher than the RS seat.
The seat on the blue & white bike is about 1/2 inch taller than the stock seat on the Checker.
Also BMW has a comfort GT seat that is taller than the one in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do they have two slots?

Do the GT seats have two slots, are they height adjustable like the RS seat? Which seat do I need to match the RS seat set to the high position?
Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
362 Posts
Here are some seat heights from a BMW Brochure.

RS seat
30.3" & 31.5"

GT seat
31.1" & 32.8"

Low GT seat
30.3" & 31.5"

Are we all confused yet? I am. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
right

When I just spoke with Daytona BMW the parts man told me they changed the design of the GT seat such that the passenger side now has some extra stitching, but he wouldn't give me the part number!!!. I'll get it sorted, thanks for the pics James. Plus there is this comfort seat factor to add to the confusion. Maybe I'll order them all and send back the ones I don't need:) Looks like either one will get me to the 31.5" high RS position, based on Lee's numbers.
Jack

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok, I get it

Borrowed some fragments of pics off another website, looks like they did make a change in the stitching in mid-04 I am told, and Lee's numbers are the right ones, so I post the pic of the original (02-03) GT seat, and then two angles of the new (04) seat with the stitching in case anyone else is interested. Apparently the high seat just has thicker padding, such that in its low position it is the same as the RS seat in the high position at 31.5", and if you put the high seat on high you get 32.8" for you long-legged folks, my inseam is only 30 inches, the high RS postion allows me to reach the ground flat-footed (barely), and keeps my legs from cramping up like they do in the low position (with my pegs in the low position, maybe I will investigate the Verholen peg-lowering kit if they make one for the 98 KRS). Low GT PN ends in 848, high one ends in 901. Thanks all, and I note the guys at Chicago BMW were very helpful. Winter will be right back up here at 9097 after our 6 weeks of summer (it's hailing like hell out right now), so I better get started on this project like now!!! Cheers,
Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looks good

Lee, I lately have noticed my boot keeps getting caught between the rubber and the metal part of the footpeg, sometimes when I'm riding I splay my feet out just to stretch, but when I bring them back they somehow catch the lip of the rubber and lift it up a tad, can be unnerving when you are in a hurry to shift, so these footpegs would eliminate that and get me an inch it looks like. Good call, Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts