BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'm going to replace the stock can on my 08 GT with Something.. I'm doing it for a couple of reasons. First is heat.. the stock can with cat converter gets HOT, really hot, fry an egg hot. Second it's big and fugly. Third I'd like a bit more sound.. not LOUD, so the neighbors hate me and cops are all over me loud, just a bit more bike music sound. Sooo what aftermarket exhausts are any of you guys (or gals) using??

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stock

I replaced the exhaust can on my KTM for just the same reasons. Burned my hand a number of times. I have not had that fear of the GT can though. In fact I see complaints sometimes and I say to myself I'll have to feel the can sometime to see how hot it really is.

I like the stock sound, especially when WFO. It does NOT ATTRACT LEO ATTENTION. I also can hear the "whine of a screaming machine" Jan & Dean

And you know what BOB says on TV >" SIZES MATTERS"

With bags not obtrusive. Without... well, see above!

:clap:

spafxer

·
Registered
291 Posts
Erik,

Don't mean to piss in the Post Toasties but +1 for that stock can. It reminds me of the insane whoosh of my 993 Twin Turbo and I wouldn't dare want that messed with. I've heard a Remus in person and didn't care for it, but that's just me.

Several members on this board bought aftermarket cans only to get rid of 'em within the week.

Not trying to change your mind but I'm just sayin'...

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Remus Titanium Revolution. Sounds nice but not too loud, just the way I like it. It is a slip on and I can change it in a matter of a few minutes. Much smaller and lighter also. I have not heard any of the others so cannot compare to anything other than stock. Also has a removable baffle but would not consider riding w/o it. I'll meet you 1/2 way if you are interested in hearing it before making up your mind...Gary :confused2

·
Registered
233 Posts
In fact you can borrow it for a few days and live with it if you would like if that helps...

·
Registered
368 Posts
rebeltown said:
In fact you can borrow it for a few days and live with it if you would like if that helps...
What a great offer. Glad to see there are still a few of us good eggs in the dozen. :clap:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is very nice offer.. But I think just hearing it would be enough. I'll be in touch when the weather and time permits a get together! Hopefully soon.. our weather in NJ has been great lately, of course it won't last but still, sure is nice to see 60! Now if we can just get a few days of rain to wash away the salt, keep the snow away and have nice weather all on either a Sunday or on Tuesday ( day off) I'll be all set

rebeltown said:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm with the tried it didn't like it group. I bought a Remus slip-on with a baffle and I thought it sounded cool for about an hour before I decided that I liked the stock sound better. I also felt like it caused some driveability issues.

It will be up for sale soon at my cost. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On my 08 GT I have a Ti Leo Vance with the baffle in. This is just right for me. Touring at steady throttle the sound is + 15% over stock with a good tone. Jump on it to pass someone and I would put it at +35% over stock. This is not so much as to draw attention from the wrong people. The stock GT muffler is one of the worst sounding mufflers I have seen. Try one as there is always someone ready to buy a nice used muffler if you dont like it.
Kevin

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the Leo Vince Evo II in carbon fiber. I have not yet been able to assess it's sound due to Minnesota weather. It sure looks nicer than the stock pipe though. Sounds nice when I rev it in the garage. I leave the baffle in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
07GT with a Ti Remus Hexacone. Easy to install, nice sound (not loud), cooler running than OEM at 1/2 the weight. The can aligns with the bag bottom about 3/4 inch clear. Had a tire change and the tech didn't tighten the can parallel to the bag. Something worth noticing but no damage to bag during the ride home.

·
Registered
365 Posts
kakalika said:
I got the Leo Vince Evo II in carbon fiber. I have not yet been able to assess it's sound due to Minnesota weather. It sure looks nicer than the stock pipe though. Sounds nice when I rev it in the garage. I leave the baffle in.QUOTE]

Same unit, same problem, plus we get Lake effect!

·
Registered
302 Posts
+1 on stock can. I love stealth, going and coming. I also like the sound WFO, and if you are following, you can hear it, well, until I leave you behind, heh heh.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use the Evo II on my R Sport. It has a deep, throaty sound and lets the engine spin much more freely. Take the baffle out and it sounds like the cavalry is on its way. I love the way it sounds, much better than my wife's Remus PowerCone, which sounds like a swarm of bees.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you need a less restrictive exhaust to "make your engine spin much more freely", someone has been shoving towels in your tailpipe.

·
Registered
646 Posts
+1 stock can. I'm the second owner of my 06, and it came with a remus on it but also the stock can. The remus only lasted for the test ride, I demanded to have the stock can back on when I picked the bike up, and sold the Remus on EBay the first week. I like quiet, stealthy speed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I put a Remus Carbon Fibre slip on muffler on mine several months ago and took it off last week.

It sounded cool but the fact is that noise causes fatigue over extended periods.

Ive got a 6,000klm trip coming up with some long days and I just didnt want that droan with me for 8-10 hour days.

I use ear plugs or sennheiser ipod earbuds but the noise still got to me after several hours.

The other issue with the Remus was vibration. That big heavy stock can damps out a lot of engine buzz and while an hour on the bike made no difference long days left my hands numb with the Remus.

I rode the bike again today with the stock can and the choice is clear for me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the Full Remus system (header with CF Can).

For the same reasons the original poster stated. More sound (but not too much), smaller/lighter/less heat and better looking. Very happy with the setup.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts