BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Capn' Blowhard
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my airbox replaced last week.

When I called to schedule the appt, they told me that they would not update the software because the last two ECU's they updated ended up fried. It was going in for new tires and recalls, but figured I'd try for a new airbox and software update.

Figuring I wouldn't get an airbox or software update, I took a pic of both the airbox and ecu dongle in their old, original state.

Well, the new airbox is new...but the harness/dongle used for software updates wasn't touched. I know, conspiracy theory in full effect here but it seems I had a reason to take the picture before taking the bike in. I had the cap installed loosely in a certain orientation and the dongle reinserted into the cradle in such a way that it would be tough to put back just like that.

Comparing notes tonight, the dongle wasn't even touched.

SO.....what if the airbox is new, but the software 'aint?

The bike is running fine but I only have 30 miles on it so far post airbox swap - no CEL or obvious issues. But I recall reading that the new airbox required 9.x or above. The last software update I had was 7.1 in Dec of 2006.

If it hasn't thrown a code by now, I assume it's okay but who knows.

Looks like I'll be riding down to Austin to visit a dealership that will take care of me. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I would like to go back to my original software if I could. Also, I had the ver 10 software loaded several weeks before the box, noticed it acted different but still had some high idle issues. The air box was the big change in my bike, very smooth operation now.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Part of any service is to hook the bike to computer to get a feeling of it's "wellness". I think the issue went deeper than what you were saying, like their machine is broken, or the guy who knows how to use it is on vacation.

I've never heard of BMW's own machine frying an ECU.

The GS-911 is kewl, git you one and have some fun with it.
 

·
Capn' Blowhard
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
grif, you're right - I forgot to mention that the impression they left me with was that their 'puter was borked. BUT, that said, I told them to keep the bike as long as they needed 'til they got it fixed so they could update the software. Ultimately a dealer should fix their stuff to take care of us folks and not pass the burden on. When they said they'd replaced the airbox, I figured that just meant that they had fixed their equipment and were able to do the swap with new software, etc.

A few google searches brought up instances of this happening elsewhere and the bike appears to run fine across the board with other folks. I'm heading out for a 6,500 mile trip in June that will take me through some areas with other dealers so I'll likely get it updated or checked out at one of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
How to fry an ECU

grifscoots said:
I've never heard of BMW's own machine frying an ECU.
The service manager at the BMW dealer here in Wichita (no longer a dealer as of Feb.) told me they had ECU's fry, lock-up, whatever you want to call it on several K1200S's. They had to be replaced, warranty of course!

P.S. BMW is not the only company out there with fueling issues. I saw a Moto Guzzi Norge with HI. I saw a ST1300 with fueling problems, Honda was no help at all to the dealer. They learned it from the Germans!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Hey Nexus,

Theoretically an airbox swap without software update would fix the high idle (no more air door shaft binding) but would retain the BBS/touchy low speed throttle problem.

Take care,
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
I also just had my airbox replaced last Friday. On the work order it stated:

Warranty cliam, work done to replace airbox
Part# 13717672549 2 striker plate (airsnorkel clips)
Part#: 13717705470 1 Air Box
Installed new airbox, checked software with CIP.
No programming was needed, therefore None was performed.


Now this from a K1200GT website when I asked the question about our infamous problem.

"every VIN below ZN47596 has the old air box, and every VIN below ZN47568 has the old software. That is according to the BMW Bulletin 13 003 07 (058) of December 2007"

I'm sure this is why I didn't get the new SW and maybe also your reason.

My bike runs fine but after only a few commute rides nothing is for sure.

Sometimes we all seem to be looking for problems it seems. If it works then hey its okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Do the math

PerfectSwitch said:
So if my VIN is WB10597097ZN46200, it means I have the faulty airbox and dated software?
It's only faulty if it doesn't work!
But yours was produced before the new airbox/software came on line!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Nexus,

Not that I'm asking you to call out the specific dealership, but might they be a Mom & Pop operation on Avenue K in Plano, TX also selling Ducati and Triumphs?

I've been trying to negotiate with this certain dealership over a 2008 BMW and they aren't offering hardly anything to move the bike. No coming off MSRP and no free first 600 mile service. Just a small discount on their already overpriced gear hanging on the walls.

Don't mean to hijack your thread. Is this the customaryl level of service at this fine dealership?

Thanks and good luck with your SW,

David
 

·
Capn' Blowhard
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dunno - my bike was built in Sept '07 and was one of the first '07s stateside. Still running 7.1 version means my software is about 14 months old...

I have a call in with another dealer and we'll see what happens there. If the software isn't required but suggested, heck...I'll stick with what I have for now. As long as the high idle is gone, I feel safer.


kbmwrs said:
I also just had my airbox replaced last Friday. On the work order it stated:

Warranty cliam, work done to replace airbox
Part# 13717672549 2 striker plate (airsnorkel clips)
Part#: 13717705470 1 Air Box
Installed new airbox, checked software with CIP.
No programming was needed, therefore None was performed.


Now this from a K1200GT website when I asked the question about our infamous problem.

"every VIN below ZN47596 has the old air box, and every VIN below ZN47568 has the old software. That is according to the BMW Bulletin 13 003 07 (058) of December 2007"

I'm sure this is why I didn't get the new SW and maybe also your reason.

My bike runs fine but after only a few commute rides nothing is for sure.

Sometimes we all seem to be looking for problems it seems. If it works then hey its okay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
149 Posts
ncooper said:
It's only faulty if it doesn't work!
But yours was produced before the new airbox/software came on line!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
So it's potentially faulty.....apparently faulty enought to replace under warranty, but not faulty enough to issue a recall....sounds like semantics to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Sorry, I didn't make the rules

PerfectSwitch said:
So it's potentially faulty.....apparently faulty enought to replace under warranty, but not faulty enough to issue a recall....sounds like semantics to me.
I think you summed it up!
Have you talked to your dealer about replacing it?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
149 Posts
Only had the bike for a month so it hasn't had the pleasure of a dealer visit. I've not had any issues yet, but I'll probably have issues at the next service interval which will require replacement under warranty.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top