BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From American Roadracing news - "In October, 2008, Florida Legislature passed a couple new laws that out-of-state riders might be interested to know about to be prepared for riding in Florida. The first is the new penalty for a motorcycle or moped with a wheel that loses contact with the road (i.e. wheelie/stoppie) is $1,141.00. The second infraction of this traffic code costs more than double that amount.
Most shocking though is the non-moving infraction for having an improperly mounted license plate. The plate must be at least 18" above the ground, be centrally located, be mounted horizontally, not vertically, be rigidly mounted, and be clearly visible from any angle behind the motorcycle. This means that plates mounted forward of the rear wheel, or on either side of the motorcycle, are in violation of the law. Basically, the plate needs to be in its original location. Also, if a plate is mounted on a pivoting hanger it is in violation of this vehicle code. The first time violation of this code is a fine of $1,141.00. The second infraction costs $2,500.00, the third costs $5,000 and loss of motorcycle license endorsement for 10 years."

The license plate law makes some sense - you can't see the dmmd plate on so many Squidmobiles. The wheelie thing? Less sense - my Hypermotard pulls unintentional wheelies regularly, just open the throttle in 2d.

No helmet in Florida? Not a problem! O, in Daytona, you do have to have an "opaque covering over 1/3 of the buttocks" whilst riding. This makes some sense. If you're riding without a helmet, you clearly have your head up your arse, so the opaque covering provides some important protection.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
petethepup said:
No helmet in Florida? Not a problem! O, in Daytona, you do have to have an "opaque covering over 1/3 of the buttocks" whilst riding. This makes some sense. If you're riding without a helmet, you clearly have your head up your arse, so the opaque covering provides some important protection.
:rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is all due to idiot squids making asses of themselves and giving the rest of us a bad image. Nuff said.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
keithb said:
This is all due to idiot squids making asses of themselves and giving the rest of us a bad image. Nuff said.
Right.

Not that we were ever young and stupid, eh ?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think everyone in FL has gone senile....mmmm....did that come out right?? :rotf:

all I can picture is my dead arse layin in the road after wackin' a cage, having desparately trying to stop and pulling the OMG stoppie with a cop pitchin' a ticket on my carcass and taking my bike away until I pay up. :wtf:

i must have a warped sense of humor (too much g. carlin maybe)...wait a minute, that ain't humor, its law! :spank1:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks for the "heads-up". Next time I have my bike in Fla. (never) I'll try to keep both wheels on the ground and not show off my "Biker Ass"! :spank1:

·
Registered
230 Posts
"Not that we were ever young and stupid,."

Young and stupid, yes, but not on a street bike on the street. Never any intentional wheelies or stoppies only because I am to damned scared that I will flip the darn thing. A dirt bike, on the other hand, is a totally different matter. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts