BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I remembered this weekend something that I learned with my 07 K12GT last summer....

Shell oil came out with nitrogen in their fuel a bit a go. Well, when ever I put Shell gas in
the bike bucks, gets a fast idea (2.500 - 3,300 rpm) And becomes a bit erratic in the
way the engine runs. When I refuel the tank with some other brand of fuel. The problems go away.
And the next time I forget and put SHell fuel in, All the gremlins return.

Anyone run into these challenges?

:popcorn: :phonecall

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've used Shell and other brands in my 09 (but mostly Mobil because my Mobil card saves $0.15/gallon). Haven't noticed anything unusual about Shell or any other brand.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's very interesting. The 09 has a lot of upgrades and fuel mapping changes so that MAY be a plus over pre 09's. Maybe a engineer will chime in and shed some light on this.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The guy at Power FRK said not to use Shell because of the Nitrogen additive. Something about a decrease in power. I've used Shell with the Power FRK when I couldn't find/wait for another station and didn't really notice a difference.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use 93 octane, usually any high end station except CITGO. I have a PowerFRK installed an have used Shell on more than one occasion and haven't noticed a lick of difference. The air my engine breathes contains 79% nitrogen, so I don't see how adding a few tenths of a percent in the fuel is going to make any difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here in northern New England I always try to buy 91 octane gasoline (or 93 if available). Gas up here is all 10% ethanol, which I'm not sure if that's bad or good. :dunno: However, whenever I'm in Montreal or Quebec City, I always fill up with their 95 Octane gas and really notice a difference in the power band of my '08 GT. I find that when running the 95 octane gasoline, my bike feels like it's always "running downhill", and just glides effortlessly. :clap: Sure wish that "good stuff" was available here in New Hampshire. :snowlaff:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts