BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before my temporary tags expired (kudos to DeSimone Cycles in Cherry Hill, NJ) I got some 550 miles on the RS. In that short time I began to fool with the preload and damping settings. My bike came with what I believe is called a "sport" rear suspension (the spring is yellow). Since I can't actually ride the bike I thought I might talk about riding it.

With max preload and damping, the bike is way harsh and tight. Setting the damping to around 50% I backed off the preload adjuster completely without getting noticeable bouncy. This leads me to wonder if that "sport" spring is so stiff that NO additional preload is all I'll ever need. Before I went VOR I was running minimum reload and around 50% damping.

Please tell me what you've worked out. What do you think about the "one adjustment does all" damping thing. This is new to me since I'm used to separate bump and rebound on racecars. I'm going to go out and stare at the bike for a while, since that's all I can do.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Bill
I am 175-180 lbs. and am running the preload at 1/2 the distance between the red line and the first white line. As for the damping knob I am at 2 turns out. Both settings "empty". With full load in the bags (no pillon) I went to the first white line, no change to the damping knob.
A little advise: Don't go up too much on air pressure. I have 8,800mi. on the bike and am still fiddleing with the suspension.
Bruce C

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Ray, it was. That's why I've read it over and over. If ever I get a couple of guys over here to help (hasn't happened in twenty years, but you never know) I'll go the suspension lab route you describe. Until then I have a couple of rookie questions. I'd like to know what the story is with that stiffer yellow spring. What's it's purpose?. Am I right to remember that I have read that the standard, white, "non-sport" spring is softer? For what is a stiffer spring useful? Track work? Two-up sporty riding? Touring with a lot of weight on the bike? Is it thought that the "standard" spring is too soft , even when packed way the hell in, to do everything?

And about the shocks, does the adjustor change both bump and rebound equally? Is it desirable or acceptable to do so? Some of you guys seem to have a million miles on these bikes so I thought that it would be useful to know how you've set up. I see posts discussing subtle differences between tires...and have assumed that those posters must certainly be sensitive to whatever suspension adjustment is available on the bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Shock settings

I'd love to help but I have had Ohlins since day one on the bike. I adjust them constantly. Depending on how I'm going to ride, the road conditions etc. etc. I doubt that anything I experience would be of help to you though. I think CABNFVR has the sport spring though. :bmw:

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
more info ...

BillA said:
........And about the shocks, ...........
Hi Bill, taking a slightly different approach from Ray's excellent article - I recent hurt my back (OK now) but I still "had" to ride, so I backed out on the damper completely. It was "better", but still a sporty ride. Only when pushed through fast sweepers did I notice a need for more damping. I have the "sport" suspension. Had BMW marketed this great shock better you probably wouldn't hove gotten it "free".

Damping is the small knob on the bottom of the shock. If the bike wallows in the curves, tighten it up. The preload (knob under seat on '02 and newer) can be set and forgotten about. It's mainly a clearance and/or steering issue. (Up quickens the steering.) Mine's maxed -1 click, but I'm 250# and two-up a lot to boot. (One note - on really rough roads when playing tourist, back it down and float along.)

So we all have to decide - set the damping for handling, or comfort. Might depend on how your back's feeling. :)

My BMW Sport Shock post from our Community Arkives is here.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
BillA said:
And about the shocks, does the adjustor change both bump and rebound equally? Is it desirable or acceptable to do so?
The knob at the bottom of the shock is rebound only. The compression (or "bump") is fixed inside.

Spring rates are either fixed or progressive, which might be what the difference is between the white and yellow. But I'd be guessing...I don't really know.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts