BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a lot of different opinions on tire wear for the K12. Can you describe your riding style (comfort, normal, spirited) and describe tire type & wear rate? I am running Avon Viper AV60, which is a sticky tire, but only gets about 3000 miles per rear tire. I am a spirited driver.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Stock tire might last me 2k miles. I ride fast and hard most all the time. Maybe by this time next year I'll have slowed down a bit. But for now, the grin is addictive.

Tires are cheap, relatively speaking. I might try an M3 next tire.

Gravity

·
Registered
311 Posts
K1200GT(Classic)

Varies a little depending on the ride, but I get anywhere from 6k - 8k on a set of Metzlers Z6.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Weave was telling me about a dual compound tire that was supposed to wear better in the middle. Michelin? Metz? I cannot recall.

I had a dual compound last year but Pirelli I think and I was underwhelmed by it.

Let's see what the future brings.

Gravity

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my K1200R last year to replace the Sportecs that came with the bike (which seemed to be made of black cheese on the basis of wear rate). I have since done around 6000 miles (lot of motorway miles) with very little wear apparent. They also did me several laps of the Nurburgring last summer. Superb all round tyre.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Tire Mileage

My 07 GT came with Bridgestone 020s. After the 3K service I headed out for a 10K mile trip around the US, changing the first set in Charleston after 6,032 miles. The second set of 020s were changed after another 6,938 miles. Most of this riding was done at relatively spirited speed in high winds, torrential rain and light snow. They performed very well in every element to which they were subjected.
Once I arrived home in San Diego the Metzler Z6s were mounted Which worked very well in the mountain terrain, but provided questionable traction in the wet. These were replaced after 3,616 miles with Michelin PR2s. So far (845 miles) I am quite pleased with their adhesion, tractability and security in the wet.
Historically, I get between 2,500 miles and 4,400 miles on a set of tires, depending upon use at the track, back roads or freeway/express routes. With each tire change both tires are replaced as they seem to wear equally. Tires, to my way of thinking, are the most significant safety component on our equipment list.
Hope you all have as much fun riding well as the mind can stand. See you on the road.
EJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brand Rear Front $$$$
METZ Z4 5091 5794 original tire
Avon 45/46 7547 11096 $243.90
Avon Storm 8398 3500*** $243.90
Dunlop 208 4658 5304 $163.86
Conti Road Attacks currently installed

Avon Storm front thumped and wobbled. This is not an uncommon occurence from what I have read on various websites. :spank1: Bad Avon, bad

John B.

K-Rider

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
compound tyre

Continental road attack, best tyre I have had since I started riding in 1954 (serious) I leave everyone at the lights, and outcorner everything except Dukes with a good rider on board. Compound tyre that wears out fast in the twisties and the side walls feel like adhesive when they are hot, but the centre has taken me 19000k (talking up right riding here) when going from Hobart to Cooktown and back, though the tyre was really knackered. (rear tyre) Front tyre usually gives me about 14000k. Stable and confidence giving in the wet. Tyre pressure is crucial, as with any tyre. Spent two months training as a pursuit rider, and a lot of times pursuing, and I say they are great!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Conti Road Attacks

Conti Road Attacks are the best. I've tried Z6, BT020, and Pilot Roads. While I don't get much more than 8,000 miles on the rear, they do handle well. I highly recommend constantly checking the pressure. The tire should last longer if you do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Average 11,000 miles on Metzler Z6s on my K12GT - mostly freeway miles at 80 mph. Having said that I have 14,000 on my front tire now, but it's as square as a car tire :teeth

I put a Michelin Pilot 2 on the rear (dual compound) 4,000 miles ago and it seems to be resisting the squaring off problem better so far.

I get much less miles from the tires on my K12S (around 9,000), but I do a lot more "fun" roads on that bike.

Looking at the low milage most other folks here are getting I must be riding like a granny :dunno:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Taking bike off of road for season...front is gone at 9000 miles rear is about 2\32 from TWI tire is at 11500 miles met z6....a lot of dry road this season compaired to last...But one thing I can say is riding so long on those tires makes it a bull with that many miles....seeing gas is going down I think Ill change out sooner...nothing like new sneakers...75% freeway 80mph +++++++

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bt 020

I got 6K out of the rear BT020 on my 2008 GT. The front was badly cupped at 6K. Just replaced them with Z6 Interacts.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Teuchter said:
Average 11,000 miles on Metzler Z6s on my K12GT - mostly freeway miles at 80 mph. Having said that I have 14,000 on my front tire now, but it's as square as a car tire :teeth

I put a Michelin Pilot 2 on the rear (dual compound) 4,000 miles ago and it seems to be resisting the squaring off problem better so far.

I get much less miles from the tires on my K12S (around 9,000), but I do a lot more "fun" roads on that bike.

Looking at the low milage most other folks here are getting I must be riding like a granny :dunno:
Wow how time flies.. Z6 ...Put new front on at 71000 to start this season and now at 84000 tire is gone...the rear I put on at around 7200 and it is still good..a little flat on the crown ...So I got around an average of 12000 miles this time...a lot of wet weather and cooler temps played a big part this year.....but got to call max to see if they are stocking the Interact yet...still have a month of riding left...I hope!

·
Registered
55 Posts
On my 2002 K1200 RS I would get about 12000 from my Metzlers. I currently have about 7500 on my 2007 K1200 GT. The front tire will probably not make it another 2500 and the rear will probably make it to 12000. :clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts