BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I'm a fairly new road-rider. I've done less than 5000 road miles total on a 1972 Honda Hawk 400 and a couple more on a Honda Goldwing 1800. I have been on motorcycles all of my life (I'm 20). That being said, I just bought a new-to-me 2007 K1200R. I'm pretty comfortable riding, but I'm taking it slow. All of this for one question: What do you usually take with you when you're going on a 500 or so mile trip to somewhere? Being on a motorcycle, I know one needs to pack small and light, but what are the bare necessities?

I'm really in love with Asheville and the Blue Ridge and everything around there, so I'm planning out a week-longish spring trip from here in Western KY to there. I also plan to avoid going through Tennessee because I've been that way a number of time (and Tennessee is not an open-carry state).

Here's a photo of the new baby... Needs a bit of cleaning up and some maintenance then she'll be ready to go :)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Trip Needs

You have gotten yourself a beautiful machine. I envy your riding area. Made the trek about 4 years ago and could not get enough of mountains and hospitality of your neighbors.
As for those things that I carry for short trips, it is pretty simplistic. I have a small tool kit with a mix of such things as tape, torx pieces, wire and tie wraps. In addition a first aid kit and tire repair/pump are necessities. Other than those item it depends on what you want to do (camp, hike, rally, etc.) along the way. Any way you do it, have a good, safe and brisk ride.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Trippin

I stopped by this area on the way to "The Wall" and then came through on the return ride home, although I turned north from there and on to No. Dakota and Washington before coming back to San Diego. Great tour, fantastic road and wonderfully kind and interesting people. Hope your rides are equally full.
This May I will be joing the RTTW group and camping my way to D.C. I am already getting antsy.
Ride well, swiftly and safely.
EJ

·
Registered
178 Posts
What to take... :confused: ....hmmmm.. :popcorn: ......usually...its cell phone, wallet, cash and keys....usually takes care of it......

unless it rains..... :spank1:

kbikeinbc...
07 kgt

·
Registered
163 Posts
bimmerteam said:
First let me say that I'm a fairly new road-rider. I've done less than 5000 road miles total on a 1972 Honda Hawk 400 and a couple more on a Honda Goldwing 1800. I have been on motorcycles all of my life (I'm 20). That being said, I just bought a new-to-me 2007 K1200R. I'm pretty comfortable riding, but I'm taking it slow. All of this for one question: What do you usually take with you when you're going on a 500 or so mile trip to somewhere? Being on a motorcycle, I know one needs to pack small and light, but what are the bare necessities?

I'm really in love with Asheville and the Blue Ridge and everything around there, so I'm planning out a week-longish spring trip from here in Western KY to there. I also plan to avoid going through Tennessee because I've been that way a number of time (and Tennessee is not an open-carry state).

Here's a photo of the new baby... Needs a bit of cleaning up and some maintenance then she'll be ready to go :)
Beautiful machine!

I always carry bulbs, tire inflator and plugger, rain suit, BMWMOA Anonymous and Airhead books as well as a phone charger with adapters for my bike.

If you ride the Blue Ridge Parkway be sure to stop at Williville near the VA-NC border just off of US 58 and Buzzard Brent at High Country Motorcycle Camp near Boone NC. Both are great places to pitch a tent for the night and Brent is a BMW Airhead owner and Air Marshall for NC.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
311 Posts
How light do you want to be and how often do you want to stop?

Shield Cleaning Supplies
Protein Bars or an MRE
Water
GPS/Maps
Cell Phone (Charger)
Camera (Charger & Extra Memory Cards)
Waterproof Gloves
First Aid Kit
Tire Repair Kit
A couple of folds of duct tape
Credit Card
Emergency Contact Information

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Western KY.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But there is something about the drivers there, they like to cross the line in the curves so be extra careful. :yeow:

I really tought I was done for when a young lady already a couple feet across the line moved halfway into my lane. :wtf: :( :yeow:

Only thing that saved me was that I was within the speed limits with a very good handling BMW. :bmw:

And then I met a few more of them over a couple days, same with Western VA. :wtf:

Yep....I mentioned that to a KY State Trooper and he agreeed. :teeth Nice guy,considering how long it took him to catch up with me....No award! :teeth :teeth :teeth

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
H96669 said:
Western KY.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But there is something about the drivers there, they like to cross the line in the curves so be extra careful. :yeow:

I really tought I was done for when a young lady already a couple feet across the line moved halfway into my lane. :wtf: :( :yeow:

Only thing that saved me was that I was within the speed limits with a very good handling BMW. :bmw:

And then I met a few more of them over a couple days, same with Western VA. :wtf:

Yep....I mentioned that to a KY State Trooper and he agreeed. :teeth Nice guy,considering how long it took him to catch up with me....No award! :teeth :teeth :teeth
I'll agree with that. I was driving in my 4-wheeled BMW and dude was texting in my lane in a Jeep. Honestly, I was more worried about him because when he saw me he nearly over-corrected into a flip =\

I can imagine on a bike I'd be a bit less concerned with the other person LOL!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts