BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
trlemke said:
What was your first bike and how old were you?

Mine was a TL 125 Honda...13 years old

my six year old son has a Yamaha 50, but hasn't really been on it much yet.
I started with mopeds at 13 yrs old. Had to supe them up too. High School was cars. In college I found a 1984 VF700C Honda Magna. Had quite a few different bike since then.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Triumph Bonneville, bought new from Gus Kuhn in London in the summer of 1969. I had 12,00 miles on it when I shipped it back here from Sweden in September. A good summer. :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Honda CX500 back in 1980. The wife and I had been at St. Martin in the carib and we rented scooters to tour around the island. Loved it so much that when we came home, I promptly went out and bought the Honda. I had ridden only twice before while in college, both times fun but the St. Martin experience was the clincher.

Jim

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine was a Kawasaki KZ400 and I was 21. I did not have a motorcycle license, but the first time I was stopped the cop suggested I get one in a hurry. When I went to pay my fine they did not charge anything when I showed my new license. :tim

·
Registered
145 Posts
My first bike was a used 60cc Yamaha model Y-J1. It didn't run until my Dad and I resurrected the engine from the 2-year long garage hiatus its previous owner inflicted upon it.

Went from that to a Honda CL-350, and then onto a brand spankin' 1974 Honda 750. Did a 2 1/2 month 10,000+ miler on that baby! Ahhhhh, the memories!

JS

·
Registered
330 Posts
First bike....

Mine was a ? 1970? Kawasaki 400 triple, 2 stroke. You could redline the hell out it. Supposedly, it was a European model, 42 HP rather than 39. Based on the famous 750 triple. Become the proud owner after I borrowed it from my friend for my first road test for my new MC license. That same morning (riding with no license) I was going up and down my street practicing......I came over a slight knoll at 45 mph, and when I saw a local cop coming at me, panicked and yanked on the front (disc) brake only. 10 ft. from cop, went over the handlebars and hit the pavement. Wrecked bike, had to call my friend and tell him I needed to buy it. Went to hospital, minor injuries. Cop let me push bike home, no tickets. Fixed it up, rode it 3 years.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
1966 Honda S90

Honda Red, S for Sport, I saved my money and bought it brand new right after I got my drivers liscence.

Took a couple of 400 mile road trips on it, ran it at red line all the time, which was 70 mph in 4th gear on level ground.

Numerous Honda 350s, a CB 550 and then a 750 Sabre followed. Loved the Sabre.

Acquired my boyhood dream bike, a Norton 850 Commando in 1977. I still have it but it is in need of some TLC before it can go back on the road.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Briggs&Stratton 5hp wore out several centrifugal clutches

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine is/was this 1982 CB750F. I bought it in 1989 with 5000 miles on the odometer. I would have had a bike when I was younger but that was a no-go in my household. I had to wait until I was old enough I could not be stopped. I saved money buying used books for school and invested in the Honda.

By the way, I still own the old girl.....This is a fairly recent photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
First bike

Mine was used Yamaha 80, had tranny problems; traded up to Honda 305 scrambler--16years old.It ran great and had it through college.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your Honda.......

gblessing said:
Mine is/was this 1982 CB750F. I bought it in 1989 with 5000 miles on the odometer. I would have had a bike when I was younger but that was a no-go in my household. I had to wait until I was old enough I could not be stopped. I saved money buying used books for school and invested in the Honda.

By the way, I still own the old girl.....This is a fairly recent photo.
That is one sharp looking old timer. My bikes were all kept up like that. What I would give to still own my 1983 Suzuki 1100 GS. I always wanted a Honda CBX about the same year as your 750. Excellent photo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
First Bike..........

Hi All,

My first bike was a Yamaha Campus 60. Had to be a dirt bike cause it had a high pipe. A friend and I beat the living tar out of that bike. Sold it and bought a Bridgestone 175........ a real screamer. Came in three or four bushel baskets. Rode it for two years before I realized we installed the pistons backwards (2 cycle) never could get the oil injector working right so just mixed the oil with the gas. Poor thing died on the way to woodstock in the rain. Had to hitch a ride home.

Some times i miss the old days, drafting tractor trailers to maintain 70 mph on the interstate, but not for too long or the engine would over heat. But then again I love my K1200rs.

Thanks for bringing back memories of the early days.

Regards,
George

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mine was a 1956 Harley Davidson Pan Head purchase in 1974 for $2500.Only one of my old bikes I wish I had back, even if I wouldn't ride it much.Don't care much for HD's anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1984 Yamaha DT 50 - Fastest 50 around for many years... Go anywhere, reliable, wheely-able .
Stuck a bigger front sprocket on her, capable of 75mph... in the right conditions

Come a long ways since then :D

1 - 20 of 147 Posts