BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a battery from a 2011 K 1300 S and put in on a 2000 K1200 RS and as soon as I turned the key, it seems like everything shorted out. Now with a proper battery... nothing.
What could I have damaged. I checked the fuses and none blew.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
Was the polarity correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, but I don't know if the battery from the K1300 was too much for the 1200.
The batteries are just 12 volt batteries , whether it came out of a K1300 or a Kenworth truck. You must have shorted positive post on a ground on the bike. That is providing the battery isn't dead to begin with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The batteries are just 12 volt batteries , whether it came out of a K1300 or a Kenworth truck. You must have shorted positive post on a ground on the bike. That is providing the battery isn't dead to begin with.
The battery was good. If the was the case, what would I fry doing that?

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
793 Posts
It would allow a surge of current to flow and possible melt an internal connection. You need to get a volt meter and measure across the battery terminals, should be about 12.7 volts dc. There are various quality batteries out there. You may even have one that was no good when new. A Yuasa YTX14H-BS would be a good choice. Here is a good one. I keep a spare on the shelf. You have to follow the instructions with it. You fill it with acid yourself, let it set for an hour for the acid to soak into the plates then trickle charge it with a motorcycle battery charger for a few hours before installing it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5ST3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So, please post your volt meter readings. Should be 12.7 with key off, a little lower like 12.4 with key on and not less than 10 volts when you hit the starter button with key on of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure both negative cables are wired to the terminal.

I made that mistake myself, ended up buying a replacement ECU and everything just to find a second negative cable tucked under the tank I had lost track of.

Reactions: Beech

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure both negative cables are wired to the terminal.

I made that mistake myself, ended up buying a replacement ECU and everything just to find a second negative cable tucked under the tank I had lost track of.
Does the second ground have a fuse housing in the middle of it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts