BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bad bad feeling to see it coming and not be able to do anything but wait for it to happen...

Sittin' with my left blinker on at an intersection...oncoming traffic coming through the light. No where to go and could see her bearing down on me (on her way to a soccer game). The bag just friggin' exploded (it's only 34 degrees today).
I suppose i'm lucky it was just a bag and a blinker as it could easily have been my right leg taken off at the knee.

Anyhow, I hope this is my 1 for the season and hope it serves as a reminder that the cagers are not looking for bikers this early in the season.
I think i will be getting a safety-yellow vest....

·
Registered
172 Posts
That is a sobering photo. Did the police check it out? Did they check the driver out (blood alcohol, cell phone, etc) Let me guess...driver said she "didn't see" you?
Glad you're okay. Keep her insurance company's feet to the fire. All new parts from Bob's BMW would seem in order. They'll gag when they see that bill... and maybe tack a nice surcharge on the driver's insurance...maybe that'll wake her up.
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Lucky guy! :clap:

Almost happened to me once, heard the squealing of brakes behind me, very quick look in the mirrors, popped the clutch and moved sideway just enough to let the cager occupy my former spot at the light. :yeow: I never ever put the bike in neutral at an intersection unless there is "a few" cages behind me as a buffer, a few as in 5-6, I have seen the effects of chain reaction too. :wtf:

Nowadays with all the cages having ABS, less tire squealing so less warning of something impending behind you, maybe not a bad idea that yellow vest.But I know exactly where you are riding, lots of lunatics on the road in that Michigan/Southern Ontario area, all the credit to you for putting up with them, I couldn't....! :teeth

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stevemac829 said:
All new parts from Bob's BMW would seem in order. They'll gag when they see that bill...
Steve,
i did look on Bob's BMW and couldn't find either the bag or the blinker (i suck at that site). if either is on the site a link would be greatly appreciated.

not much on ebay either ( other than a pair of bags)..

will let you know how it all turns out...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, glad you are alright! That's sobering and angers me. I doubt that they are every truly looking for individuals on bikes. What did the driver have to say?

Link to integral case/rack:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0572&mospid=51745&hg=46&fg=20

Turn indicator light:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0572&mospid=51745&hg=63&fg=10

Tail light:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=0572&mospid=51745&hg=63&fg=15

Are your bags type 1? Hard for me to tell from the image. I believe Type 1 is NLA and would insist on matching so a pair of Integral Type 3 would be in order courtesy of Insurance company. Would be a little something sumthin for all of this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Inline, Steve,
Yup, she said she was running late, saw the traffic light turn green but never saw me, my turn signal, or the bike. not sure where her head was..just glad I got to keep mine!

i can't tell if its a type 1 or not (i don't know the difference) but it looks like the top-most unit on the link

·
Registered
153 Posts
surrounded

Surrounded by proven retards piloting lethal machines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, damn glad your still alive!! Michigan roads.....Michigan drivers!! I swear,some of the worst offender's live up this way also!! Bikes can be fixed..... :dunno:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yah, I have lived here for 9 years...last 2 years on bikes...mi drivers suck for sure...I've been ass ended sitting at the same light in my truck!
Anyhow, got my bags in the mail yesterday afternoon..put'em on last night and all is well again....keep the rubber side up (er, im, uh, DOWN) and I will try to do the same...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice looking cases and hope the rest of your riding season is trouble free. Just looking at the last photo (rear of the bike)....the cases are pretty dark (of course, they're black). I wonder if a vertical strip of white reflective tape on the back of each case might make them "stand out" a bit more to the drivers behind you. Or maybe a couple of those white oval airport code stickers. Jjust a thought. ( I have reflective tape on mine.)
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
stevemac829 said:
Nice looking cases and hope the rest of your riding season is trouble free. Just looking at the last photo (rear of the bike)....the cases are pretty dark (of course, they're black). I wonder if a vertical strip of white reflective tape on the back of each case might make them "stand out" a bit more to the drivers behind you. Or maybe a couple of those white oval airport code stickers. Jjust a thought. ( I have reflective tape on mine.)
Steve
1990 K75RT
The last bags had reflectors on them...i am thinking something like aDOT safety tape...i don't want to be hit again For sure
And yer right inline3, all is well in the universe again :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I thought i'd outgrown these things but I guess they never really get old..I was able to talk the war dept into letting me add another pony to the stable...
My son ridesalot and I grew up doing it. He is on 250 (466) and I just picked up my 450 yesterday. :clap:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sobering...

WOW...that is very scary. I am happy that you are all right! I have had a few close ones, as I am sure everyone has. My problem has been controlling my urge for a little "Road Rage" after something that that happens. Believe me, losing it is not my style at all - it's just that you feel vulnerable enough out there and then sprinkle in a little stupidity and lack of focus on the part of the driver and you want to impress upon them the severity of the consequences for their lack of attention.

I wear a white helmet, not my favoriate color at all. However, I, once read, that riders with white helmets have 25% fewer accidents with other vehicles than any other helmet shade. I did my own ancedotal experiment and I definitely notice riders wearing white helmets immediately.

Be Safe Out There...

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me at a stop on my old Kawa.

I let clutch the out to move 4M right close to the rear fender in front of me leaving a 2M gap. As I was doing this I was seeing smoke in my mirror from the braking car tires closing up fast behind me.

I braced and waited for the rear shunt. Closing that distance saved my a*se and the only damage was the rear licence plate.

Now I fit high level stop lights to my top boxes, don't hold the brakes on too hard at stops, leave more space in front or mostly split the lane at stops to get my bike just forward of both vehicles each side where they can see me.

There's not much that can beat a K-bike away from stops in 1st! :) . But there's still not much you can do if it happens.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fate7 said:
WOW...that is very scary. I am happy that you are all right! I have had a few close ones, as I am sure everyone has. My problem has been controlling my urge for a little "Road Rage" after something that that happens. Believe me, losing it is not my style at all - it's just that you feel vulnerable enough out there and then sprinkle in a little stupidity and lack of focus on the part of the driver and you want to impress upon them the severity of the consequences for their lack of attention.

I wear a white helmet, not my favoriate color at all. However, I, once read, that riders with white helmets have 25% fewer accidents with other vehicles than any other helmet shade. I did my own ancedotal experiment and I definitely notice riders wearing white helmets immediately.

Be Safe Out There...
I've always worn a white helmet just for that extra visual aide... When I bought my '08 K1200GT which is that beautiful never can keep it clean blue :teeth I invested in a replacement for my 12 year old Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket with an almost identical one in HiGh ViS YeLloW. My helmet also has the reflective red arrows and silver diamond center patch from Sewell Engineering? Found them years ago in the MOA magazine and they stand out GREAT! Which reminds me I need to order some more of them for my daughter's new helmet...

On another poster's suggestion I would seriously look at adding a white, silver or red reflective decal set to the rear of your bags - I had a nice set of white reflectors that matched the contours of the bags on my '97 K1100LT. Better to be visible at all times, not just at night with the black reflective material IMHO...

·
Registered
172 Posts
NikonJeff said:
I've always worn a white helmet just for that extra visual aide..QUOTE]

Interesting to me that 2 other posters wear white helmets. My helmet is white also, I chose that color based on numerous studies of which color automobile was most quickly picked up by the human eye. (There may be studies of which helmet, etc, but I couldn't find them) White was always the runaway winner. Nothing else even comes close.
Yet I seldom see white full face helmets, even at BMW rider club events. People I work with sometimes aske me, "Hey were you on such and such a road yesterday around supper time? I saw a guy on a bike with a white helmet."

I'll ask, what color was the bike? (Dunno) the jacket (Dunno) did the bike have sidecases (Dunno). But they sure remember seeing that white helmet :D
Steve
1990 K75RT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts