BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running my Gt on standard multigrade & am considering using a top oil in my efforts to look after my baby. Can I use synthetic like Motul or similiar. Can someone please give me some input.

Cheers from :confused: Cape Town, South Africa

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
There is no best answer. I used dino oil for 10,000 miles and switched to full synthetic. Here are some brands I have used, all 20W/50 viscosity. BMW (dino), Golden Spectro (synth blend), Mobil 1 V-Twin (full synth), Castrol Syntec (full synth), Valvoline SynPower (full synth). Can't go wrong with BMW oil, and yes I believe Motul would be a good choice also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Best Engine Oil?

Just posted this in response to another inquiry.

The cost of oil when compared to your investment is too small to even calculate, I have used only BMW oil in my 88K75s, 1996K1200rs, and now my 2003K1200rs. I am at one with the dealer on this one. I do however us Gold Spectro in my Triumphs and Ducati. A very good BMW mechanic from way back when indicated that he seldom saw oil leaks on BMW's that used the BMW's natural oil. He could not make the same statement with synthetics.

·
Registered
68 Posts
rickd said:
There is no best answer. I used dino oil for 10,000 miles and switched to full synthetic. Here are some brands I have used, all 20W/50 viscosity. BMW (dino), Golden Spectro (synth blend), Mobil 1 V-Twin (full synth), Castrol Syntec (full synth), Valvoline SynPower (full synth). Can't go wrong with BMW oil, and yes I believe Motul would be a good choice also.

Rick: where do you find the mobile 1 v-twin? I've never seen it. I run just plain old mobile 1 in my bike.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
bhaynnes said:
Rick: where do you find the mobile 1 v-twin? I've never seen it. I run just plain old mobile 1 in my bike.
I got it at Advance Auto Parts, but I don't think they stock it anymore. You can get it online here. I think the "plain old" Mobil1 is probably better because it doesn't have the friction modifiers for the wet clutch and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
212 Posts
best oil ?

do not know the best oils but in my 99 r1100s 15/50 bmw synthetic at 12000 miles it how has 30000,on my 2002 k1200rs 15/50 bmw synthetic added at 800 mile 1 st service how has 28500 both bike use NO oil, i change oil at 6000 miles. i hope the is some help?

·
Registered
828 Posts
best oil? They all work...

This question comes down to personal prefernce. If one oil was far superior to all others, then everyone would be using it hands down. Most oils are all the same, with little varineces between each brand.

I, myself run Mobil 1 15/50, using the extended wear stuff, since the regular version is off the shelfs.

ONON-
Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts