BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is working on a project using my cast-off old windshield from my '07 GT. He needs to know precisely what material it is and whether it will withstand 310 degrees of heat.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
chuckwilmot said:
My son is working on a project using my cast-off old windshield from my '07 GT. He needs to know precisely what material it is and whether it will withstand 310 degrees of heat.
It should be poly carbonate....and coated with a special coating.....you have to be very careful when heating...poly absorbs moisture and must be dried before forming...think it around 225 deg to dry and it takes a few hours then you can go to the forming step....but you have to make sure that your heat is even with no hot spots and no moistuer in the room...very tricky to do without the right kinda oven...if heated to quickly and without drying first it will leave small hair line cracks throughout the windshield unlike plexi which you just heat and bend. This may help http://www.thermoforming.com/Articles/IAPD-Polycarbonate/Thermoforming.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts