BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Whats your Top Speed?

13K views 58 replies 47 participants last post by  chuckwilmot 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Not to consider this as rev-head but just want to see what other RS riders got upto.

Just before my 02 K12RS (3 stripes) reach 60k mark I nailed the beast to see how far I got up to on the dial while at the same time, teasing the Yamaha R1 on a big long stretch. ( I left R1 behind quite easily ). Mind you this is not on the air strip but on a main highway and had to avoid obsitcles (tin-top) and I got up to 250K and run out of road and tin-top car infront of me changed lane and had to let my ABS busy... If I were given clear stretch, I would have got up to abit more.

Cheers,
Theticus

http://bmwmcq.asn.au/

#2 ·
Maybe not the answer you're looking for but...............here in the twistys I rarely exceed a ton.Now mind you that may very well be in a 35mph rty.Its just that sh*t can happen so fast here in the mnts. that I've found a ton to be sorta a nice limit.

Best of luck,drag a peg.........BW

#3 · (Edited)

i've had my 03 RS up to 130 mph and had plenty of throttle left but decided to back off when i started to think about deer, racoons, debris, a tire blow out. the RS is a great bike and at a buck 30 the RS fekt solid, no vibration, no drift and i was not being beaten up by the wind. i'm sure had i not chickened out i would have been able to hit 150 maybe a little more.

#4 ·
Ton and a Half!!

I have hit an indicated of 150 on the speedometer, my Garmi GPS showed 146. I did this out on I-80 across the Great Salt Desert. I should have stayed out of 6th gear, maybe I could have brike the ton and half point. I did have my GPS show one run at 596mph through Los Angeles financial district, dang fast day, oops maybe reflected signals off of those tall glass buildings.

#5 ·
Fastest speed.......

I have had my K12GT at 140 and she definately had more to go. I was a bad boy, and still had hard bags on. Plus, not bad for a 375 lb., 6'2" man. It consistently hits 110-120 when she leaves the garage, not for long, just a couple good straightaways. Have to watch out for woodchucks, not only running across road(s) but driving cages.

#6 ·
162 indicated. I have a laser chip (extra hole in airbox as instructed) and a 2Brothers exhaust system allowing 9.7k R's; it was about 9.3-9.4k that I hit that speed. I did this 2 yrs ago in VA at one of the i-bmw rallies on a split two lane HY, down hill. The bike was rock solid! I was able to read both instrument gauges without any excessive vibration.

I love my Red K..

#8 ·
did this 2 yrs ago in VA at one of the i-bmw rallies on a split two lane HY, down hill.
BRPR 2004... Peter P, Terry Ward and I were behind you watching your ass disappear. :D

#9 ·
rickd said:
BRPR 2004... Peter P, Terry Ward and I were behind you watching your ass disappear. :D
Ah, thanks for the time reference and witness. Time isn't fly'n as fast as I thought, only the Mighty K! :)

I'm glad that you didn't say 'big' ass, because that part isn't. lol

#10 ·
OK, OK, I had to re-adjust my thinking cap (at least I remembered the yr). No, it wasn't VA that I did that 162, though I think it was about 155 there on a straight part of the HY-81 with some to spare. I did it at "SSR3" 2 yrs ago in VT, one of the best times I had with Vic. 'The Man' rocks, and that is a fact! The memories..now that I remember them.

Thanks for the gooD times Vic, and please be back soon, will ya?

Bear

#11 ·
I cruised at 100mph on a stretch of open farm country in Iowa for quite a while. No one else was any where to be seen for over an hour so the throttle tends to creep a bit. Darn cheap BMW throttles :D

I really dont like going fast anymore. In fact my 2002 k1200rsa is for sale at an exceptional price on cycle trader now.
My friend with a two brothers pipe pushed 130 until someone cut in front of him forcing him into the yellow barrels last friday. He gets out of the hospital today after 10 days in intensive. Since I refuse to drive recklessly fast in traffic I was about 1 minute behind him. One does not want to see a cracked skull, take it from me. He was an idiot, no helmet , no gear, no safety. I feel bad, but I'm more angry.

Armor and helmets are your friends mmmmm k. Driving fast/reckless in traffic is stupid, keep it on the track or on the open road.

BTW I took from the 4 hour ordeal memories of how nasty drivers are. "pull that POS outa the way" "dumb ass" and the like they shouted out the window as they drove by on the shoulder. Mind you I was holding his lifeless body and trying to wipe the blood off of his face with my shirt. "serves him right, biker trash" really amazing how much the general public cares about bikers. Oh and they dump gallons of peroxide all over the blood to clean it up. Next time you feel the need to drive 100+ in an unsafe manner just rememebr they have gallon jugs of peroxide in the emt truck just for that.

Ya, Im a buzz kill thread killer. My friend lived with marginal long term damage. You might too.

#12 ·
burn up

My brief visit to the silly speeds was Aligator Alley in Florida...six in the morning nothing for miles...and straight, very, very straight. No bags tucked in needle would not go past 159mph. Steady as a rock, but couldn't have avoided anything either at that speed the bike doesn't respond too quickly!! It was neat though. What a freekin' machine

#14 ·
Top speed

I was able to reach a top speed of 175mph (still in the memory of my GPSP)

I did it when you get out the curvy roads coming from Julian, CA into the desert. There is this asphalt highway, going downhill and I had no wind that day. Placed myself in a aerodynamic position and pulled the throttle for a a minute or so.

I am so proud of my baby :)

#16 ·
Speed Safe Y'all!

Speed Safe Y'all! I drive the speed limit! :cool:

Keynote, my best wishes go out to your friend and his family, I will pray for a swift recovery. Unfortunately, there are riders on the road that taint the general publics view of all 2-wheelers. Remarks that you recieved should not come of a surprise. Unfortunatly the stupidity/hatred/ignorance of the general public motorcycle stance. I believe one of the only ways to help solve this problem is for bike manufactory's and motorcycle assocations to start a public awareness policy or program.

I think the first step would be to understand why people disregard riders so much. A lot has to do vast amount of harley riders and squids on the road. Beemer riders make a tiny majoirty of bikes on the road.

ONON-
Mark

#19 ·
About 4 or so years ago I was on one of Vic's Summer Soltice Rides up in VT. A bunch of us where heading back to the Space Ship riding on I91. We came to a section that had a long downhill followed by a long uphill so we had about 3 miles of clear straight and we all pegged the throttles. I hit my rev limiter in 6th gear and noticed my speedo at 165mph. Taking into account for speedo error and I believe my 99 K12RS gearing will only allow about 152mph regardless of chip / exhaust.

Joe

#22 ·
eurorider said:
I was able to reach a top speed of 175mph (still in the memory of my GPSP)

I did it when you get out the curvy roads coming from Julian, CA into the desert. There is this asphalt highway, going downhill and I had no wind that day. Placed myself in a aerodynamic position and pulled the throttle for a a minute or so.

I am so proud of my baby :)
I know that road. Turn south on S2 there and you'll find the jeep trail that heads to little blair valley and the monthly star party (geekville, I love it). I've been there many times and it seems like a natural place to hit the throttle. I even go fast there in my truck filled with telescopes. I think the next time I say "Wonder where I'll ride to today" I'll think of this road.

Funny, the last few times I've ridden it on the bike I was coming back up the hill. I think it's time to do the loop clockwise.

Thanks,
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.