BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m sick of paying and relying on shops (who have dinged my wheel) to do my mounting/balancing.

What mount/balance hardware do I need to do this myself?

How can I lift the front end to remove the wheel?

I found this thing to balance the wheels.

It would require an adapter to make the rear wheel fit, and I don’t want to spend a shitton on some retarded specially built adapter.

This guy seems to explain it pretty well:

Really it’s straightforward, I just need the tools.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Put a board and a scissor jack under the headers to lift the front wheel, or buy a front fork lift. A tire customer who lives about an hour and a half away got a rear flat the other day. He ordered a new tire and went to a local MC shop. They managed to rip off his tire pressure monitor for him, saying they found it inside the tire. Yes, I'm sure that is where it finished up after they snapped it off. You can buy a cheap and okay balance machine on Amazon for less than 50$. As for rear wheel adapter many people have fabricated them. I used to:

Might be too expensive for your purposes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks very high quality, you’re right too expensive for my purposes.

Someone in a different thread had mentioned that the rear wheel would work with BMW motor car adapter?

·
Registered
58 Posts
At this risk of stirring up a hornets nest.....

I use bb pellets, home remedy, similar to the commercial Dynabeads. 3 oz in rear and 2 oz in front. The mechanic who rode it after a service said it was the smoothest K he's ever ridden. He knew nothing about the beads.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I use bb pellets, home remedy, similar to the commercial Dynabeads. 3 oz in rear and 2 oz in front. The mechanic who rode it after a service said it was the smoothest K he's ever ridden. He knew nothing about the beads.
I’m sure they work, I’d rather do it “right” though.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
The five bolt pattern is 120mm I seem to remember someone making something from PVC pipe adapters. Breaking the bead can be pesky. Best I saw was a 2x4 bolted to the edge of the garage door with a 2' leg down about a foot from that point. Just push down on the 2x4 arm. Also If you can chase down a 30 gallon oil drum put a piece of hose on the rim for protection and it gives you a good place to work on the tire/wheel combination. Hey a piece of wood, mark and drill the five holes for bolts and in the center epoxy a piece of some sort of rigid tubing. The aluminum ones I make hold up to a spin balance machine if needed, but most of use just use the dynamic static type. Which is plenty good enough.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Fuck it; At this point if it works I’ll just go for it. Any recommendations? Is it worth spending money on this or will just any do?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s my main concern:

This was my concern prior to seeing this video: won’t the beads act like a ball mill inside the tire?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The five bolt pattern is 120mm I seem to remember someone making something from PVC pipe adapters. Breaking the bead can be pesky. Best I saw was a 2x4 bolted to the edge of the garage door with a 2' leg down about a foot from that point. Just push down on the 2x4 arm. Also If you can chase down a 30 gallon oil drum put a piece of hose on the rim for protection and it gives you a good place to work on the tire/wheel combination. Hey a piece of wood, mark and drill the five holes for bolts and in the center epoxy a piece of some sort of rigid tubing. The aluminum ones I make hold up to a spin balance machine if needed, but most of use just use the dynamic static type. Which is plenty good enough.
View attachment 28574
I’ve used these for cars before. Fashioning a jig out of plywood sounds like a solid idea!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
I don't recommend beads, they only balance the first harmonic. Many tire manufactures void warranties with beads in the tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just bought a jar of the standard airsoft bb pellets for a couple of Euro, weighted the right amount and put them in as I mounted the tyre on the rim. I am on my second set of tyres with them in now, and the first set looked fine on the inside when I examined them. I did not see the type of wear that the video above shows.
And to add salt to the wound, they were a set of PR4s and I got around 9,000 (imperial) miles from them. Then again, I don't go around at 100mph :). Most of that was two up on tour, at much lower speeds, and mainly on twisty European roads.

If you don't like the bb pellets, it is no trouble taking them back out and reverting to wheel weights.

As Beech suggested above, I use a 6' piece of wood with a smaller piece around a foot out, to break the bead. I put one end of the wood under the jack point of my car as I levered the door off the shed when I had it bolted to that :oops:. Lots of soapy water as well.

And the video that sold it for me that they work...

I'd be very interested in your results.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing about buying some tools and a balancer to do my own tires. Motorcycle shops are charging anywhere from $25 to $50 a tire.
Definitely need the nylon rim protectors between the tools and the rims. Balancer is only as good as the bearings, what they are made of, how many balls, etc. I have seen some balancers that are just the shaft and bearings and you use jack stands as the mounts. Others have they're own mounts. I was looking over the Rev'zilla site at they're stuff.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spoke with the guy at here:

And my friend who is a dynamicist.

The glass beads apparently don’t cause that salt-eppper effect. Having a fluid inside the wheel (which is what balance beads act like) do balance things out theoretically, however only a 1st harmonic.

If there’s no 1st harmonic, there shouldn’t be any 2nd harmonics??? I don’t know.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got the lower end Cycle Hill Changer by No Mar, and it works perfectly on my K1200R Sport wheels. I've also got their balancer with the BMW rear wheel adapter. I've had them both since about 2008, and have never looked back. Get either paddock stands to get the wheels off the ground, or a detachable center stand and a board/jack setup under the headers for the front.

·
Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
41 Posts
So at $399, plus shipping for the Cycle Hill machine, that is eight tires mounted at the shop at $50 each. For me that's a about 2.5 seasons worth of tires. It would be even longer for most riders. Not to mention you have to have a place to use it and the know how and tools to remove and replace the wheel assembly. I did all my own mounts for years, built my own bead breaker tool and learned to balance from watching the Michelin team at the races. Takes me about an hour to set up the equipment and get the tire off the rim. Then another few minutes to mount the new tire. Then I become a fiend on the balance which takes me forever.

Right now my local independent m/c shop has a good tire monkey and at times the owner does the work. I would rather spend the $50 on them and while away my day at work making $$$. It all comes down to choice and options. I have scratched up enough of my rims over time there is no way to avoid it completely. So I drop off my tire/wheel and new tire in the morning, pick it up that evening and am on the road later that night. No sweat. Literally. I also save on the $5.00 disposal fee by recycling the old tire myself. But in these troubled times. You do you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had ordered some tire/wheel replacement tools. Ended up capitulating and taking it to a shop who did it for free since I simply threw balance beads in there, and then the “tire was basically on anyway”.

I was hoping for a viable inexpensive option. Now my bike engine is being bullshit anyway. I’m not happy rn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So at $399, plus shipping for the Cycle Hill machine, that is eight tires mounted at the shop at $50 each. For me that's a about 2.5 seasons worth of tires. It would be even longer for most riders. Not to mention you have to have a place to use it and the know how and tools to remove and replace the wheel assembly. I did all my own mounts for years, built my own bead breaker tool and learned to balance from watching the Michelin team at the races. Takes me about an hour to set up the equipment and get the tire off the rim. Then another few minutes to mount the new tire. Then I become a fiend on the balance which takes me forever.

Right now my local independent m/c shop has a good tire monkey and at times the owner does the work. I would rather spend the $50 on them and while away my day at work making $$$. It all comes down to choice and options. I have scratched up enough of my rims over time there is no way to avoid it completely. So I drop off my tire/wheel and new tire in the morning, pick it up that evening and am on the road later that night. No sweat. Literally. I also save on the $5.00 disposal fee by recycling the old tire myself. But in these troubled times. You do you.
I see your point. I have a friend that has a motor home and takes trips and so on. I stayed with him in the "bus" at a rally one time, helped him connect it up and disconnect when time to leave. While riding down the road you really can't do anything but ride because of the movement. I would rather just ride, get a motel room or stay at a motorcycle camp ground with cabins and pay the fee. I'm sure it's cheaper than buying the motor home, the up keep, storage fees, fuel etc. Like I said, I see your point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts