BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am going to be picking up my new K12S next week :) and just wondering if there is any reason to wait to install a new exhaust. Have heard from one person that I had best wait until I get my first 1000 miles on the bike.
So what are everyone's thoughts on this?
Is there really any reason to wait to install the new can or should I just go for it?
Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There is really no reason to wait...except: If you have an initial problem with the bike, you may get some grief from your dealer about the change and it's potential contribution to the problem. If it were me, I'd just wait a bit to make sure the bike is operating the way BMW wants it to and if problems, you can get them corrected without a problem from your dealer. I put my Remus can on at about 1k miles...no problem and haven't heard of any problems as a result of changes. The exception to what all I've said is if the dealer installs the pipe for you...then go for it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Anyone run it without a can, like at the track? Reason I ask is last tire I put on the back I fired it up without the can on. jeebus, what a racket, very loud at idle. It would put harley to shame at redline. Gonna buzz the local HD gathering next year at 4am

·
Registered
403 Posts
There's nothing gained by waiting. Installing an exhaust in and of itself has no affect on the warranty. The bike doesn't care if you wait for 600 or 1000 miles. It just makes no difference.

If you should install the exhaust incorrectly and that caused a problem, well it's a different story. Now you face a warranty challenge. This would be no different if done at new or with miles on the bike.

I always have my dealer install major components for one reaseon. If an installation mistake is made, there is accountability. If it's done right, there is no consequence except for the installation charge.

A small advantage of installing at new is you will have a pristine stock system to either sell or put back on at re-sale which makes for a nicer bike for the next guy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try running without any can

eric2 said:
Anyone run it without a can, like at the track? Reason I ask is last tire I put on the back I fired it up without the can on. jeebus, what a racket, very loud at idle. It would put harley to shame at redline. Gonna buzz the local HD gathering next year at 4am
You want fast? Get rid of the monster stock can and stock air filters -- immediately.

Beamer riders are so conservative. Nice quiet folks. This is my first one, which I bought to leave the sport and Harley riders for dead, while having a stable high speed platform. So, I'm willing to try unconservative things:

I run my KS without the Laser can occasionally and without any air filters. (Live in high altitude with clean air after a rain.) I suggest you try this sometime as it will make the bike respond like you won't believe. Around here (Tahoe/Reno) my Harley friends NEVER have anything but straight pipes -- thus no one (except mybe neighbors ) ever complains. And, compared to a V-Twin, the bike is "quiet" under 5k rpm, then it gets, er, rather LOUD.

However, I can't get any answers from anyone who does air/fuel maps about possible lean running damage. But this lack of restriction provides fantastic seat-of-the-pants pulling power -- for anyone who wants a little extra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts