BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wondered what I would do if I lost the key I put in my pocket. Where's a good place to hide one on the bike? I guess under the seat is out. Any nooks or crannies that'll serve? And Happy New Year. Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
Key hiding places

I have heard of hiding one inside the turn signal housing, 'course bike thieves probably have heard of that too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your wallet. That's why you got one small/short key without the molded rubber cover....when/if you bought your bike new....from the dealer. You always carry your wallet, right?

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do bike thieves commonly poke around a bike looking for a key?

·
Registered
504 Posts
JimT said:
Your wallet. That's why you got one small/short key without the molded rubber cover....when/if you bought your bike new....from the dealer. You always carry your wallet, right?
Ahhh, so that's what that key is for...thx for the tip!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hiding your key

Answers so far are good and well-reasoned.

I hide a key on my bike for different reasons. I'm not worried about thugs stealing my bike--such worries are unproductive. It will happen or it won't. And it wil kill me. So......

I hide a spare key because I go on road trips, usually 10 day deals. I know I could lose a key. This is well-proven. Therefore I do this:

I clean my fairing well with the usual cleaning agents. I'm talking about the right-hand outside cowling. Just aft of the steering column/gas tank opening
Under the lip, between the gas tank and the fairing you can reach down and up. Tape your key there with duct tape.
Mine's been there for three years. I check it each year. No rust.

I used to put it in a Ziplock bag before taping....that was on my car. The key rusted off to rust hell. It was a BMW car and BMW key.

Never will be without a key this way, even if you stagger out of the bar with no wallet and a bleeding nose. If they've stolen your bike, well, a gross of spare keys will get you nowhere.

What's the key?

Ensure that the spare key is where it should be before each ride.

What could go wrong?

Pete.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another spot is taped to the inside of the cover on the back of the headlight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bill,

I bought a used 98 two years ago and found a great spot. PM me and I will give you the details. Wouldn't be a great spot if posted for all to see.

·
Registered
264 Posts
El_Barto said:
Bill,
Wouldn't be a great spot if posted for all to see.
I wondered if anyone would think of that. remember that these discussion threads will show up on google searches. --Jerry

·
Registered
337 Posts
Steph,

I no longer have a K12RS so it makes little difference to me, but I wanted to make sure Bill wasnt subjected to any issues. If he chooses not to use the spot he can pass it along. I know the people on this site are not an issue. At most rallies you can leave all your gear out and key in the ignition and everything is going to be fine. The people are one of the great reasons to become a BMW rider.

Now to tear apart the K12S and find a spot. Oh yea, then go buy a key cause BMW Corp didn't provide the new bikes with two keys. ERRRRRRR.

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Did you see "Pulp Fiction"?

Bruce Willis's father kept his watch up his ass for 5 years while in a Vietnamese prison camp. That could work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BillA said:
I've wondered what I would do if I lost the key I put in my pocket. Where's a good place to hide one on the bike? I guess under the seat is out. Any nooks or crannies that'll serve? And Happy New Year. Bill

You could 'super glue' it in the ignition switch so as not to lose it!!!!!!! or , as suggested, keep one in your wallet...had mine there for years!
Happy new Year
Steve

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a set of keys for my bike that's usually either in my pocket or my bike. I have a set of keys for my house that is always in my pocket. I keep a spare bike key on that. When travelling I also keep a complete set of bike keys in my luggage. My problem has been that I drop a set of keys somewhere (like a sewer) and don't notice. At least this way I have backup in my pocket and if I lose both keys somewhere in a drunken haze no doubt I still have a set of keys back at the hotel.

·
Registered
460 Posts
stealth key storage.....

I thought you guys all knew......the k1200rs/gt doesn't really come with a horn....that thing is really a key depository....how could you expect such a storage device to work as a "real" horn......:)

·
Registered
969 Posts
helmet

BillA said:
What about taping it behind the cheekpad of your helmet? I doubt it would cause any harm in event of a crash. Less chance of losing it or someone finding it or rust.

·
Registered
227 Posts
jack69boots said:
I have a set of keys for my bike that's usually either in my pocket or my bike. I have a set of keys for my house that is always in my pocket. I keep a spare bike key on that.
This is what I do, that's what the simple, flat spare key is for. I feel more secure with the key in my pocket than hidden on the bike.

Ron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts