BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site, so this may have been covered in a previous post. I am in the process of buying my first BMW, a 2003 K1200GT from a private seller on eBay. From the pix he sent me, it looks like he has extensions on the handle bars to bring them up and back which I understand was a problem with this model year. In the pix, it appears the throttle cables coming from the grip are draped over the center of the bars and disappear down the back side of the handle bars on the way to the engine. This guy is the second owner and I don't think he realizes this is not right, at least I don't think it is right, it looks goofy.
My main question is, where do I get longer cables and how much can I expect to spend ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a set of K1200LT cables. They are a bit long for the job, so you will have to be a little creative with routing. They are expensive at $60 for one and $75 for the other, and are a pain to R&R.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
riverat said:
I am new to the site, so this may have been covered in a previous post. I am in the process of buying my first BMW, a 2003 K1200GT from a private seller on eBay. From the pix he sent me, it looks like he has extensions on the handle bars to bring them up and back which I understand was a problem with this model year. In the pix, it appears the throttle cables coming from the grip are draped over the center of the bars and disappear down the back side of the handle bars on the way to the engine. This guy is the second owner and I don't think he realizes this is not right, at least I don't think it is right, it looks goofy.
My main question is, where do I get longer cables and how much can I expect to spend ?
Back side meaning they drop down between the bars and the tank?

·
Registered
10 Posts
riverat said:
I am in the process of buying my first BMW, a 2003 K1200GT from a private seller on eBay. From the pix he sent me, it looks like he has extensions on the handle bars to bring them up and back In the pix, it appears the throttle cables coming from the grip are draped over the center of the bars I don't think it is right, it looks goofy.

Just a suggestion but why don't you post some photos of your bars to let people see what you are talking about. The GT has raised bars as standard compared to the RS and you may not have a problem. I cannot imagine any scenario where you should need to extend the throttle cables. :confused:

This is the standard set up on my 2004 GT. Is yours like this?

Regards Darryl

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same set up (with bar backs as well) and mine looks the same, full lock to the right the throttle cables do come down close to the ignition, but nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re:

I don't want to steal your post, but, I have the same problem on my 2000 KRS. I did add bar backs and finally got a nice position. Right turn to lock is barely OK. Left turn to lock does stretch the throttle cable and raises rpm a tad. Is there a tie wrap or bracket inside the body that can be loosened and moved a silly mm ? All I need is 1/8". I loosened and pushed up on the brake hose bracket, for an OK change. If I pick up the cable and let it move over my key it's ok. Please just a silly mm of movement!!!! Dickey :dunno:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yes you may get a little adjustment, there is a clip holding the throttle cable on the left fan housing/duct , the cable does have a tape mark on it so it goes at the right position on the clip, but you should be able to get 1 mm.....or 2. :teeth
But you have to take the plastic off....! :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Might as well at least do the spark plugs while your are there. But don't move it too much or you risk making the bend to the throttle bodies too tight. But back to the original post....would be good to see a pic of the GT in question to see if the routing is normal and okay, or if they are indeed funky...What do you say, riverat? I know my buddy put bar backs on his '04 GT and has not had a problem. Looks like the pics posted here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have the same problem after installing verholen barbacks (65mm) Installed longer brake hose per instructions. Throttle cables were tight and would interfere with the cruise. Have been researching throttle cables off other models. Cannot get info on just how long each one is. I would like to install some that are 2" -4" longer. Any help. I also read that there is a place to get custom lengths made using components of the stock cables. The barbacks where the hot ticket for an older overweight rider. Any help would but greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Anyone wants those Verholens for free????? Postage from Canada, $10.00 or so to the USA.

Sorry no brake line.....but I think using a rear brake line could work, same fittings and longer by a couple inches. :dunno:

Throttle cables.....that's another story. :teeth

EDIT.....10 MINUTES POOF..... GONE......! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
All these posts and still no answer on where to buy longer cables. Off another bike perhaps? Went to dealer and was told that he didn't want to investigate or do the work cause there MIGHT not be enough profit in it. Guess I'll have to call Max BMW. :(

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Eh! I asked for you, no luck! But I'd look at the cables from an LT, they are more expensive on the parts fiche, so may be longer. Well they got to be with the size of the handlebars they have on them things. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts