1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Robert_W said:
While I don't use their air filters on the GT because of the "issue".....I do use their oil filters. Never had a problem with them...... $15 on line:
Interesting. The BMW filter is only $15, and $12 through Chicago BMW. Can't see the reason to go aftermarket here, unless maybe it was something you could pick up locally.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Meese said:
Interesting. The BMW filter is only $15, and $12 through Chicago BMW. Can't see the reason to go aftermarket here, unless maybe it was something you could pick up locally.
Yeah it was just one of those 6 of one half dozen of the other deals. No real reason other than brand loyalty I guess. Been using them as long as I can remember. Good quality, and back when on my RT I didn't have to buy the stupid special remover thingy. (Though I eventually did)..... which now doesn't fit the GT filter......I could use a standard socket wrench with the K&N.

That and anything I can do to "stick it to the man" at BMW for all their high priced stuff! I gave them enough for the bike. ;)

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Racerpartswholesale a sponsor of this site sells the K$N filters for $13.xx

Great guys!!! If you find a cheaper price they'll match it. Or do their BEST to.

They REALLY worked with me for several items, Stack tach, spa gauge, Spal fan.

Super fast shipping too. Only a day to me but it helps to live in the next state over.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Advance Auto Parts : PureOne PL10241

$5.88 each

I used this crossref page to find conpatible filters for the GT. We use a number (7) in the ref table. The other number on the PureOne is for shorter version I believe. It list some filters that fit but are not recommended.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

·
Registered
438 Posts
DavidS said:
And which one is the right one?
I will be glad to sell you my used OEM BMW oil filters- CHEAP! And they are the correct size!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meese said:

Thanks for the link.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
dhanson said:
But that link doesn't show anything that fits the /4 GT. It lists "K1200 GT, LT, RS 1999-2007" but the filters for the LT and /4 GT are different part numbers from BMW. The '98-'05 RS/GT bikes use the same basic engine as the LT so I'm sure those filters are the same, but the '06 and up bikes are a whole different beast altogether. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Meese said:
But that link doesn't show anything that fits the /4 GT. It lists "K1200 GT, LT, RS 1999-2007" but the filters for the LT and /4 GT are different part numbers from BMW. The '98-'05 RS/GT bikes use the same basic engine as the LT so I'm sure those filters are the same, but the '06 and up bikes are a whole different beast altogether. :)
I have not used one yet, I will let you know when I do in a couple of thousand miles. As for the different part number, could be the GT is shorter. The first oil change I did, the dealer ship sold me one too long, I took it back and got the shorter one.

I sent Mark (the oil filter table link) an email asking about a possible difference on the late model GT.

·
Registered
606 Posts
OKay I found the K&N Oil filters on their website for $15 but I checked on the Air filter and they're not in stock....at K&N?.... the place that makes them.

Anyone know a place that has the K&N BM-1205 Air filter in stock?

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Try racerpartswholesale.com. And they sponsor the site. (broken record... :) )

I ordered yesterday (oil filters, three) and received them today.

Update- I just called them and left a message. They'll call me back with how much they have in stock. They ALWAYS have called me back. Great guys. But they do list them.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/3183/KNN_Motorcycle_Air_Filters

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
kbmwrs said:
OKay I found the K&N Oil filters on their website for $15 but I checked on the Air filter and they're not in stock....at K&N?.... the place that makes them.

Anyone know a place that has the K&N BM-1205 Air filter in stock?
Dude....given the air box issues, do you really want to put an air filter in that gets covered in goop / oil and has a tendency to blow that goop into the the air box? Go with a stock air filter. Just my 2 cents.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use the KN air filter. But plenty of people use them with no problems. I would/will use the oil filter, which I've heard is very good quality.

RPW called back. They have ONE left but can order some more. It'll take a week.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Robert_W said:
Dude....given the air box issues, do you really want to put an air filter in that gets covered in goop / oil and has a tendency to blow that goop into the the air box? Go with a stock air filter. Just my 2 cents.

Good point.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
JCW said:
Personally, I wouldn't use the KN air filter. But plenty of people use them with no problems......
I too used one on my RT for years with no problem. But I would be curious to know how many guys without HI, BBS, Throttle, etc etc, and still with the old air box, ICV, and software are using them.....AND....how many guys that have had the replacement / warranty work done are willing to take the chance of any of that goop fowling up the air box / ICV. I for one will not be trying it out.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i've had them on for over a year. airbox looks fine. no problems. i have had them on all of my bikes, even the RD and i rebuilt the carbs and them were clean.

although I am thinking about putting the stock filters on to see if there is any improvement or decrease in performance.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Robert_W said:
I dunno, maybe a little lubrication would help keep the ICV from sticking. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts