BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil is suppose to be INSIDE the engine right? :)

Has anyone experienced something like this? What's going on? I've loaded a rather large image so that you can zoom in to see the detail.

Thanks,
-Skids

Attachments

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I would be careful running the motor for too long with that amount of oil on the muffler/heatshield!

I'd start by pulling off plastic. It looks like engine oil and lots of it, so I'd suspect it's under pressure and I'd be looking hard at the oil cooler, hoses and couplings. Also watch the engine oil level.

When oil gets outside the engine in large quantities, there's something to fix quick!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
383 Posts
valve cover gasket is my guess

pull belly pan , inspect, wash it down with Gunk, ride 15-20 , miles, inspect.

pay particular atention to the "half-moon" areas of valve cover.

HTH.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Checking for leaks

Looks like a good leak that is getting wicked back from the front of the bike or the valve cover. The previous advise to pull the belly pan and wash down (While cold only)and then ride and reinspect is good advise. On the K . Start with the oil cooler lines and their fittings then go to the valve cover. If its the oil lines, check if you need an entire line or just new crush washers where it meets the engine. I had a line begin to leak on my 03 and had it replaced. If its just the crush washers . the new ones will be cheap and you will need a torque wrench to make sure you tighten them properly.

If its the valve cover. Pull the cover and inspect the seal . The half moon shapes will need a sealant to stay dry. If the seal is worn or overly brittle , replace it. Its cheap insurance against future leaks. Take your time, keep it spotlessly clean and use good sealants.

Good luck- send more pictures once the belly pan and/or side panel is off

JD

·
Registered
351 Posts
'03 K1200RS leaker after 22,500

Skids said:
Oil is suppose to be INSIDE the engine right? :)

Has anyone experienced something like this? What's going on? I've loaded a rather large image so that you can zoom in to see the detail.

Thanks,
-Skids
Last week (11-12-05) noted problem with clutch lack of grab on start from 1st gear. Drove in to dealership and saw similar mess under cowling down front and rear of motor. Time for major tear-down to get to root cause.
They report approx. 5% of RS/GT have this issue. Possibly due to poor machining of parts (grooves evident of rough casting of pieces, not fitting together as glass-smooth surfaces). Don't know they have not begun tear-down yet, am looking forward to seeing parts when they break it down.
Warranty work for the dealership, service says they can't tell extent until full inspection. I am going to have steel-braided lines installed, and hopefully get same for clutch line if I can find manufacturer with appropriate fittings for clutch line (was told that the clutch fitting will not be out until next year). Speigler I suppose.
With mileage approaching the 24k, I thought I might as well get that done now too since they will be pulling off enough that it makes sense to do it early.
Anyone find any "gotcha's" to watch out for after repair of oil leak and clutch slippage?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great suggestions

I just put it away for the winter in my sister's garage, so this be a spring time activity. I hope it's nothing serious.

-S

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oil Leak....

aa3jy said:
Valve cover...
You definately have a problem. As mentioned before, I wouldn't ride it until figured out. How many miles on it??. Cleaning and riding (in my opinion) NOT GOOD. You know you have problem, what happens if you have major oil blow-out at speed or under load?
Not F------ good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I couldn't see the picture - too dark for me - How much oil were you losing Skids?

K bikes seem to have a lot of the weeping head gasket syndrome - mine has it - and a friend-of-mine's bike has it - but I figure I'll just watch the oil level, like the owner's manual suggests - and fix it when I need to check valve clearences.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
........... Cleaning and riding (in my opinion) NOT GOOD. You know you have problem, what happens if you have major oil blow-out at speed or under load?
Not F------ good.

Well I am 'old school' and have 100% confidence in both my mechanical and riding ability.

The idea of having someone else troubleshoot/correct the problem is 'foreign' to me personally.

Cleaning and riding would certainly be less risky than the ride(s) that led up to discovering the oil leak in the first place?

Skids, just be careful with whatever course of action you take. I hope you cleaned that oily mess up before you put it in sis's garage!

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
If it's in storage for the winter, put some Stabil (sp?) in the fuel tank. Get the bike off the tires front and rear if possible. And, when you visit, start taking off the plastic so you can trace the oil to the source, or as much as possible.
Don't start it up and run it for 5 minutes just to run it. Leave it as is, unless you can take it out and ride it for at least 10 miles. Starting up in the garage, so to speak, and running it for 5 minutes is doing more harm than good. The battery doesn't get back to a full charge, and condensation is going to form, then sit were it's at until the next start-up, corroding what ever it's sitting on until warmed up again, when ever that is.

Now, all this from someone living in California, so you might check with folks that have a real winter to see what they say...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
186 Posts
How many miles on your bike? Is it still under warranty? If it is still under warranty, don't do anything. Take it in

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Razel said:
Now, all this from someone living in California, so you might check with folks that have a real winter to see what they say...
Not bad for a guy from California. I live where the real winter is and I can tell you that Ray's advice is spot on. I do exactly what he advises, plus change the oil before you put it away and keep the battery on a tender.

·
Registered
531 Posts
if i were you i would fix it now and not wait until spring....why chance not having your bike available to ride once the warm weather comes back because it's in the shop. the busiest time of year for bike shops is spring so you may get stuck waiting weeks before someone can get around to looking at it. even if you plan to do the work yourself i would still fix it now and not later. good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
557 Posts
03k12RS said:
Last week (11-12-05) noted problem with clutch lack of grab on start from 1st gear. Drove in to dealership and saw similar mess under cowling down front and rear of motor. Time for major tear-down to get to root cause.
They report approx. 5% of RS/GT have this issue. Possibly due to poor machining of parts (grooves evident of rough casting of pieces, not fitting together as glass-smooth surfaces). Don't know they have not begun tear-down yet, am looking forward to seeing parts when they break it down.
Warranty work for the dealership, service says they can't tell extent until full inspection. I am going to have steel-braided lines installed, and hopefully get same for clutch line if I can find manufacturer with appropriate fittings for clutch line (was told that the clutch fitting will not be out until next year). Speigler I suppose.
With mileage approaching the 24k, I thought I might as well get that done now too since they will be pulling off enough that it makes sense to do it early.
Anyone find any "gotcha's" to watch out for after repair of oil leak and clutch slippage?
Your dealer sounds like they know to look elsewhere than the rear engine seal for case mating surfaces that are leaking.
The original poster is having a leak from the front or valve cover. This might be related to the front cover leaking because of the head not positioned perfectly. Resealing is the the front cover is the solution, and resetting the head is the final solution if it leaks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on my oil leak

Well, it turns out the crank case breather tube which splits into 4 tubes and drains into the throttle bodies was very much cracked. I pulled the air box off and the throttle bodies, ordered the part from Chicago BMW for about $45 and put it al back together. Problem solved! yeah!

Thanks everyone for your tips.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Glad you got it fixed before I even read the thread but I disagree with those who said not to ride it. Oil on exhaust = smell and smoke, not fire. I didn't grow up poor in Missouri without learnin' a thing or two.

--jerry

·
Registered
826 Posts
It looks like the valve cover or top of the timing cover. The oil is migrating along the top of the engine. I doubt if anything internal is wrong causing this condition. These engines definately have leaking issues on the left side. The front of the fairing has a huge scoop area and the high pressure being forced to the radiators and engine makes a mess on the left. The right side of the engine doesn't leak on these. There is a lot of heat and metal expansion on the left. I think a good cleaning and a fresh set of gaskets will fix you up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts