BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a bear of a time trying to find a listing of helmets that work with the Garmin Nav systems besides the BMW System V. Anyone have any luck connecting with an existing bluetooth integrated helmet that is sold in US? (DOT certified).

Thanks
Gregg

·
Registered
68 Posts
the reason you've had a hard time....
is that there aren't any

·
Registered
497 Posts
gagarri said:
I have had a bear of a time trying to find a listing of helmets that work with the Garmin Nav systems besides the BMW System V. Anyone have any luck connecting with an existing bluetooth integrated helmet that is sold in US? (DOT certified).

Thanks
Gregg
Don't eve get me started on this one. There are a few threads here by me detailing the pain I have gone through trying to get the Nav III's bluetooth to work with other equipment so that I can get the full functionality out of it.

Sometimes when you go with the bleeding edge of technology, you get cut.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bnblazer said:
Don't eve get me started on this one. There are a few threads here by me detailing the pain I have gone through trying to get the Nav III's bluetooth to work with other equipment so that I can get the full functionality out of it.

Brian
I was afraid of that. I own a couple of Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth helmets URL below.

http://dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=RACING&nome=AIRSTREAM_COURSE_Bluetooth%AE&articolo=1835479

Love the helmets they connect to my phone and to other helmet nicely. Clear as a bell on reception and transmission. Unfortunately no luck connecting to the 2820. It finds helmet connects to helmet and then disconnects from helmet shortly after connecting.
I have not been provided an opportunity to try to connect to BMW NAV III but I suspect I would have same issue. If I ever have any luck solving this I'll let you know.
Gregg

·
Registered
497 Posts
gagarri said:
I was afraid of that. I own a couple of Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth helmets URL below.

http://dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=RACING&nome=AIRSTREAM_COURSE_Bluetooth%AE&articolo=1835479

Love the helmets they connect to my phone and to other helmet nicely. Clear as a bell on reception and transmission. Unfortunately no luck connecting to the 2820. It finds helmet connects to helmet and then disconnects from helmet shortly after connecting.
I have not been provided an opportunity to try to connect to BMW NAV III but I suspect I would have same issue. If I ever have any luck solving this I'll let you know.
Gregg
The exact same things happens with my Baehr Bluephone. I am not sure what the problem is. Bluetooth is a very straightforward standard, however, it looks like Garmin decided to muck around with things ala Microsoft. I will never understand why developers do this. I think that it is lazy uneducated, and piss poor software engineering when this happens. Rather than just making it the right way, we all now have to wait until Garmin sees fit to include devices in its "compatible" list.

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
bnblazer said:

Brian
i'm going to get the FULL AUTOCOM Pro AVi installed tomorrow
i'm buying 2 new Shoei RF-1000 helmet (for me and my wife, carol)
and i'll HARDWIRE the WHOLE system
autocom (famous for WAITING to bring out NEW stuff until it is 110% ready) will have its BLUETOOTH module out NEXT SPRING....
i'll get that add-on then

one thing you BETTER know about bluetooth and the naviii/cell phones
besides the fact that the batteries only last 1/2 day's ride.... NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU....

every bluetooth headset ever made is SO FREAKIN' SOFT that there is NO way to hear it AT SPEED

so.....
the autocom is loud as hell and you can use it to 180 mph

forget bluetooth
hardwire it and get something useful

·
Registered
497 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
Greg,

That is the way I wet at first thinking it would all be great. However, the audio jack on the Nav III is only 2 pole and does not allow for a mic. Additionally the Nav III's phone functions will only work when you have paired a bluetooth headset to it as well as your phone.

This is one of the things I am really irked about. Had they just made the audio jack 3 pole all of this would be a moot point! We could just hard wire the audio and use the bluetooth of our phones and be done with it. But nnnnooooo! They had to make a crippled system. :mad:

Brian

Hey Garmin! :motor

·
Registered
68 Posts
bnblazer said:
Greg,

That is the way I wet at first thinking it would all be great. However, the audio jack on the Nav III is only 2 pole and does not allow for a mic. Additionally the Nav III's phone functions will only work when you have paired a bluetooth headset to it as well as your phone.

This is one of the things I am really irked about. Had they just made the audio jack 3 pole all of this would be a moot point! We could just hard wire the audio and use the bluetooth of our phones and be done with it. But nnnnooooo! They had to make a crippled system. :mad:

Brian

Hey Garmin! :motor
i know what you are saying.....
but, by HARDWIRING the system, i know that (at least until autocom gets its BLUETOOTH system fully working/next year) i will NOT be using the "on screen" features of the Naviii.....
but will use the "voice dialing" of my Motorola 815 phone.
there will be NO bluetooth connection between the phone/autocom/nav iii..... YET
but, the voice dialing will work fine
NO, i will NOT be able to see WHO'S CALLING on my NAV III screen....
that's fine
quite frankly, if you spend time worrying about MAKING and RECEIVING calls while riding.....
you aren't going to be around too long, if you know what i mean :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
diggitydogg said:
The Cardo Scala Rider works just fine with the 2820. I'll tell you soon whether it works the Nav III, being installed tomorrow morning.

http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider/

well......
2 things here:

1. this device is NO louder than the motorola HA-830..... you won't be able to hear it at speed

2. my way.... gives you hi-fi quality (almost) headsets in EACH ear....
the autocom system is as loud as you need it to be (and can be made softer, of course)
so.....
being able to hear the conversation in BOTH ears.... and much louder
yes..... tons more expensive

but,
the main point is that YOUR single-ear headset won't be any louder than the one made by motorola

and.......
when you can avoid "batter-powered" headset.... you'll alway get something loud enough to hear

SURE, you have to HARD WIRE it....
but,
there is no "battery life"
and it'll be TONS LOUDER

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ClearwaterBMW said:
autocom (famous for WAITING to bring out NEW stuff until it is 110% ready) will have its BLUETOOTH module out NEXT SPRING....
i'll get that add-on then

one thing you BETTER know about bluetooth and the naviii/cell phones
besides the fact that the batteries only last 1/2 day's ride.... NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU....

every bluetooth headset ever made is SO FREAKIN' SOFT that there is NO way to hear it AT SPEED

so.....
the autocom is loud as hell and you can use it to 180 mph

forget bluetooth
hardwire it and get something useful
Already hardwired via a J&M Comm system and Nolan helmets. Was hoping to evolve to something mo better. Just took my bluetooth helmets out for a 4000 mile spin two weeks ago found they lasted on average 11-12 hrs before I needed to recharge. 12 hrs on a bike is long enough for me. (call me a wimp).
Comparing sound quality with my hardwire and bluetooth I have experienced no degradation its just as good if not better via bluetooth. I would say comms with my passenger has also improved.

Getting my 2820 audio wired into my bike next week so that should give me some audio until Garmin fixes bluetooth protocals.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Gregg

·
Registered
68 Posts
gagarri said:
Already hardwired via a J&M Comm system and Nolan helmets. Was hoping to evolve to something mo better. Just took my bluetooth helmets out for a 4000 mile spin two weeks ago found they lasted on average 11-12 hrs before I needed to recharge. 12 hrs on a bike is long enough for me. (call me a wimp).
Comparing sound quality with my hardwire and bluetooth I have experienced no degradation its just as good if not better via bluetooth. I would say comms with my passenger has also improved.

Getting my 2820 audio wired into my bike next week so that should give me some audio until Garmin fixes bluetooth protocals.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Gregg

i'll look forward to your update
good luck
thanks for the info

·
Registered
156 Posts
diggitydogg said:
The Cardo Scala Rider works just fine with the 2820. I'll tell you soon whether it works the Nav III, being installed tomorrow morning.

http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider/

Confirmed: The Scala Rider works perfectly with the Nav III. Used it today.

And now there's a version with speakers in each ear and an intercom function, sold in sets of two for rider and passenger.

http://www.cardowireless.com/buy/store.php

I can tell you from experience that the battery lasts several days.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
diggitydogg said:
Greg, you're just plain wrong. Again. A font of misinformation.

You can hear the Cardo at speed just fine.
Agreed!!! My Cardo works great with my 2820. I still use ear plugs and can hear my MP3, GPS audio and Treo 650 cell phone... Waiting on Autocom' s Bluetooth is just plain "crazy talk". Competition is going to eat their lunch while they attempt to get the act together.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thinking of picking up a Cardo Team Set, as it would be great to have speakers in both ears. Problem is, they only sell them in pairs — one for the rider and one for the passenger. I only need one set, as I ride solo. Cost is $229 plus shipping. Anyone want to go 50-50 on it, with each of us keeping one Cardo Scala Rider set? If so, PM.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am interested in the Scala Rider, but looking at their website and how it attaches to the helmet, it doesn't look it will mount on my Schuberth. The C2's edge does not permit the shell being separated from the liner.

Anyone else have any luck with mounting it to a Schuberth?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scala Rider

diggitydogg said:
Thinking of picking up a Cardo Team Set, as it would be great to have speakers in both ears. Problem is, they only sell them in pairs — one for the rider and one for the passenger. I only need one set, as I ride solo. Cost is $229 plus shipping. Anyone want to go 50-50 on it, with each of us keeping one Cardo Scala Rider set? If so, PM.
Cardo Scala 'Rider' is the unit you want then. I've used it for a year and it is great.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Two words of warning on the 2820. First, I've had one since they first came out and I love it, but there might be some expectations that can't be met with Bluetooth.

1. The audio jack on the side (stereo audio out) is disabled when the 2820 is paired with a bluetooth headset device. The real impact of this involves XM radio users. XM audio is only routed via the stereo jack, hence, XM audio is not available when paired with a blue tooth headset or helmet, only MP3 and talking books.

2. There is a separate mic jack on the side as well for working with the cell phone. It would take a considerable amount of work/extra gadgetry to use the phone feature via a motorcycle intercom since most all that I have seen trigger on the separate audio from the cell phone to go into phone mode, quenching you tunes and going into full duplex mode. Since the cell audio is mixed with the tunes and GPS lady, it's near impossible to determine when a cell call is coming in automatically and then there is the challenge of getting audio out of your intercom, to the mic connector.

All this said, which is bike/blue tooth specific with XM, the GPS rocks, and I only hope the zumo is better.

When using it in the cage it's awesome, and the bluetooth implementation with the phone itself is awesome. With my old Motorola V710 it worked in "basic" mode, no callerid or anything, but it worked, just like a basic bluetooth headset. With my newer Moto Krazr it's awesome, it automatically downloaded all 200 entries from my contact list in the phone to the phonebook on the GPS, maintains a call log, displays the callerid in context with the phonebook - it rocks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts