BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 K75C sports a pair of BMW panniers which have no gaskets between lid and case. At the ascycles.com on-line fiche I find part number 46.54.2.316.391 for one side and ~.392 for the other side at 53.47 each. At the maxbmw on-line fishe I find part number 46542300042 for both sides at 5.88 each. These prices are worlds apart, though the part numbers aren't that far apart. Am I looking at typos? Is there something else I should try?

TIA

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not sure what the first part your looking at is, i googled it and it does show a gasket of some sort, but not sure why you'd need a left and right since the gasket could just be flipped.

Pretty sure the second link is correct - 46542300042 - should be like 5-8 bucks for a what is really just a piece of rubber that is set in the groove.

FYI. I've had good luck having the cases seal 99% water tight. Sometimes the cases warp depending on the abuse they've taken.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
two different gaskets

A Bob's BMW parts guy tells me there are two different gaskets. One fits an earlier design "integral case". It's basically a bit of hollow rubber tube. He says it didn't work very reliably, and was therefore supplanted by a later model more rectangular piece of weatherstripping which had to be left and right since it had one side up. That's the one comes for 54 clams. I told him my groove was 3/16" across. He told me that's the skinny five buck tube one.

The only puzzle left is why they call it an integral case when it pops right off. But, anyhoo...

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a nugget of k trivia for ya.

I'd have a hard time dropping a hundred bucks for new gaskets if I had those cases, might have to get some silicon cocking and see what could be done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
window screen bead

My first brainstorm when I thought I might be facing a hunnerdten clams for gasket was window screen bead -- the neoprene stuff you hold screens into screen frame with. That would probably do the skinny kind of gasket I have to replace. As it turns out, tho, I have a friend trekking to Bob's BMW Wednesday, and they have the five clam gasket I need in stock.

My second brainstorm if you have the wider 54 buck seal would be McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com). I'll bet a fat man they have some kinda gasket would work. Those guys have everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts