BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2004 k1200gt in red 2 weeks ago. It took 3 months to find one. I was lucky enough to get one with 2600 miles on it. When I start it when it is cold it puffs out a good amount of white smoke. Should I be concerned? It seems to go away after the bike warms up.

Any suggestion on breaking the bike in would also be helpful. By the way anyone want a red and silver 2002 fuel injected and chromed to the teethHarley Davidson Fatboy. I won't be needing it anymore....

Anyone live in AZ and want to ride??? My old riding buddy's don't like my new ride and will not ride with me anymore. Maybe because they can't keep up.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
condensation?....cold weather?....if its smoke it will stay smoke.... if its steam it will vanish in the air.... smell? check your coolent good luck.and dont touch the throttle on start up...as for break in that is a question that will bring many post!...mine was rode at not more than 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles or so but i ran it up fast a droped it down quick i ride about 150 miles a day so it didnt take long...then i slowly ran higher rpm over the next 1000 miles but always ran it up fast a droped it down hard22000 miles and all is good no valve adjustment needed...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been told by the local BMW dealer that with the cylinders on the left of the bike, if you have it on the sidestand it is not unusual to have white smoke when you first start it. This is because there may be a bit of oil seepage past the rings and into the cylinder. Leaving it on the center stand should not cause the smoke.

Hope this helps.
Kyle

·
Registered
460 Posts
smokin.....

My K100 did that when parked on the side stand.....then some literature of the day said that they solved that problems and the newer generation of K would not do that.

While at the 2002 national in Canada, I saw a guy start one (2002 K1200RS) and it smoked....just like mine.....then I got a 2004GT.....I asked if they still smoked when starting after parking on the side stand...the dealer said no.......well, it did.....more so in the first 5000 miles than later(I have 50000 on her now).....every so often, she still smokes....nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ride more often and oil won't have time to seep by. My R11RS smokes if I leave it set for 2 or 3 days so I try not to do that.

Another variable is the sidestand angle. My R bike leans over too far so I'm going to put a spacer on the foot right after I get that round tuit. My K-bike sits too high so there isn't much difference between the sidestand and the center stand but I don't like to leave it on the sidestand in public because it wouldn't take a very big bump (or wind) to knock it over.

So if your sidestand it loose or bent and your bike leans over too much you would get more of the oil smoke syndrome.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Just curious Jerry, My sidestand is on the left, I'm riding on the left in UK, and the road fall or camber we call it, is always lower on the left side when parking up. I always felt my side stand pitched the bike too far over from the vertical. Are your side stands still on the left?

I found some steel tube that was a close fit over the BMW tube, sawed off their foot and added my slightly larger foot to the end of the tube at the correct angle. I adjusted the short slipover tube to get the height I wanted, then put a stainless cotter pin through the lot.

The 'footprint' outline of the new foot is quite critical to get more contact area, whilst not reducing ground clearance in the up position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
jaysonm said:
When I start it when it is cold it puffs out a good amount of white smoke. .
white smoke means we have a new Pope. :)

Coming from a german bike means the Pope is from Germany.

Happy to be able to clear that up for you. :coffee

·
Registered
351 Posts
re: Wite Smoke

shook sez said:
white smoke means we have a new Pope. :)

Coming from a german bike means the Pope is from Germany.

Happy to be able to clear that up for you. :coffee
caveat actor, ab uno disce omnes, condiscipulus. From one example, learn all (Virgil), Let the doer beware, fellow student.

(Pieced together from http://latinquotes.net/)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
reading post this morning....oil will produce blue smoke and fuel will produce gray to black smoke....water will produce white smoke or steam i should say...if its oil youll smell it and it will be bluish...sitting on the side stand will not cause your oil to fill the cyl. if it does than your oil is over full keep your oil at or just below the center line on the glass port and when you check your oil make sure that its on the center stand and that it sits for 10 min. or so between center and bottom of sight glass i found to be best..better to have a little less oil than to have too much

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started my 03 GT this am and it puked a lot of white smoke for about 5mins., then it was OK. I almost went to the dealer to see what's up, but rode instead. It ran great all day and the smoke was gone.
It was 29 degrees when I started it and about 30 degrees at the end of the ride, 5 hours later

·
Registered
264 Posts
voxmagna said:
Just curious Jerry, My sidestand is on the left, I'm riding on the left in UK, and the road fall or camber we call it, is always lower on the left side when parking up. I always felt my side stand pitched the bike too far over from the vertical. Are your side stands still on the left?

I found some steel tube that was a close fit over the BMW tube, sawed off their foot and added my slightly larger foot to the end of the tube at the correct angle. I adjusted the short slipover tube to get the height I wanted, then put a stainless cotter pin through the lot.

The 'footprint' outline of the new foot is quite critical to get more contact area, whilst not reducing ground clearance in the up position.
Yes, our sidestands are on the left too. I've never seen a bike with a sidestant as high as mine. The previous owner dropped the bike doing quite a bit of cosmetic damage and I wonder if he somehow bent it. I haven't had time to investigate yet. I have to look for a left sloping place to park or else I have to use my center stand right now.

The way you describe your bike is similar to how my R-bike sits. Right now I park it in the garage with a 3/4" piece of wood under the sidestand to take up less room and keep it from smoking in the morning. It still leans more than most bikes do. I like quite a bit of lean for stability (some folks don't realize that a bike is generally more stable on the sidestand than the centerstand) but it's a little too much I've decided.

I like your idea for how to lengthen it. However, I think I'm going to make a slightly bigger foot and I'll just make it from something about 3/4" thick. The R-bike kickstand tucks in better so I have some room to make it bigger w/o dragging.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought it was fairly common knowledge that the K-bikes will smoke on start up if left to sit on the sidestand for a period of time. Let's say several hours or more. Outside air temperature doesn't matter. The "smoke" is white and doesn't smell particularly great. My 2000 RS did this and current 04 GT does exactly the same. Smoke stops in a couple minutes after start. I suppose this could be confused with start up on a relatively cold day when you do get water vapor from the exhaust for the first few minutes. Sort of looks like "smoke" but it's not. Stops as soon as the pipes are warm. Neither is a real problem. Good luck with that Red GT. The best.
Gerry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all of your responses. I have been leaving my biek on the side stand, i will put it on the center stand for now on. This bike does kick some serious ass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Boo to the smoke...

:rant I completely understand that the smoke is a K bike "quirk". But tell me it doesn't bother you at all that a nearly 20K$ bike (new) smokes on start up! I can, and will gladly live with it (by parking on the center stand), but it does bother me to see it :mad:. Better to have a little smoke with a beemer :bmw: than an oil spot under a Harley :eek: though I reckon. Ahhhh, the things we'll accept as normal are quite amazing when we are blinded by our love for a machine.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Is it smoke or is it condensation? Hold a cold mirror and some clean tissue in the 'white smoke' just behind the muffler after startup. If water forms and runs off after a minute, it's condensation and I wouldn't worry, If you get black soot on the tissue it's oil burn and the sidestand issue we talked about.

If they'd put the side stand on the opposite side to the pistons and bores, we wouldn't see the startup smoke would we?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

Just bought a K1200 RS with 26,000 miles and full history - it does the same. I am told this is nothing to worry about and BMW say the engine should not be left to warm up

·
Registered
796 Posts
My smoke on start up and oil usage has dropped a lot was I got some miles on the bike. Hard rings and hard cylinders take a bit to seat.An hour ride in 4th and 5th over a 100mph+helped a lot.The bike seems to love being flogged!

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
jimmm said:
My smoke on start up and oil usage has dropped a lot

Me too. I believe there's break-in time involved with the smoke on startup issue. Mine has a little over 20K on it now and doesn't smoke a bit, even when I've left it on the sidestand for ten hours. And even when it did, it didn't bother me a bit since I knew what caused it. It just is what it is. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts