BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and what are your rates? I just bought an 07 K1200R sport and I have to insure it before I get tags for it. Checked State Farm and got quoted $192 / mo :boom: and Progressive was like $109 / mo... I'm a 20 yr old male so I know it wont be terribly cheap but I figure a bike would be cheaper than my car :/

·
Registered
459 Posts
2011 K1300S, Liberty Mutual, about 80/month in MI. It was about 1800/yr in socal with Liberty, yikes! due to state-mandated coverages that cost extra I believe regarding CA.

In AZ, it was running about 100/month with Liberty.

that is for full cov, including un-insured, etc...

I totalled a 2002 K1200 LTC about 2-3 yrs ago with the same company. I've had no tickets (that showed up at least, had on in NM, small town), I didn't get ticketed for the accident (no one else involved) but I did get a 10% surcharge on insurance.

If I got a ticket, it would go to a 20% surcharge. what an f'in racket.

just for comparo anyways...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
USAA.

They are more expensive than other insurance, and I have heard that they do not accept new motorcycle policies any more. (I am grandfathered in.) I know I could save money by changing, but I use them for all our insurance needs, and their service is unbelievably good.

I know that when I bought my KGT, I was able to add it to my policy, because it replaced the Magna which was already covered by them.

I have heard that they are referring new motorcycle customers to Progressive, but have no first hand knowledge about that. USAA has special qualifications (military related) to join as a member. Not everyone can get their insurance through them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
USAA/Progressive

When I tried to insure my 92 K100RS with USAA 5 years ago, they connected me to Progressive. I believe (as in last post) that Progressive does all of USAA's newer policies. I pay only $125 per year (in Ohio), but I am 50 years old, married with kids.
Have not had any claims with Progressive.

Dean Wirsing

·
Registered
47 Posts
2012 K1300S. I had Allstate for 15 years. This year I got a 67% rate increase when I went from a 2005 K1200S to the new bike. There justification was it was newer bike.... yeah right.... my rates didn't drop like that as my previous bike got older.... matter of fact my rates continued to go UP!

Anyhow, wrote Allstate and my agent a NASTY gram and cancelled my motorcycle insurance with them. Then cancelled all my other policies with them within 30 days.

Now I am with Pacific Specialty Insurance. They were $200 less than Allstate. My rate is now $53 a month. I run really high coverage 250/500, 100, UIM 250/500 and only $250 deductibles. This is very reasonable for a new bike.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Progessive has been good to me. When, my bike fell over in a parking lot, they fixed it with no problem and my rates have reduced every year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
insurance

I have Geico for the bike and 2 cars. They do not take into consideration my 2 cars. The rate for a 2004 1200 GT is $106 a year with full coverage. I am 58 and no tickets in 10 years. I have not had a bike for 5 years so that may change with my new bike. This sucker is fast and a radar detector is in my future purchase. Progressive is good to, had it on my old bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
USAA.

They are more expensive than other insurance, and I have heard that they do not accept new motorcycle policies any more. (I am grandfathered in.) I know I could save money by changing, but I use them for all our insurance needs, and their service is unbelievably good.

I know that when I bought my KGT, I was able to add it to my policy, because it replaced the Magna which was already covered by them.

I have heard that they are referring new motorcycle customers to Progressive, but have no first hand knowledge about that. USAA has special qualifications (military related) to join as a member. Not everyone can get their insurance through them.
I've been a member of USAA for close to 20 years and do my banking and have cars insured with them. When I called them when returning to motorcycles in 2007 I was connected to Progressive as their partner for motorcycles.

I now have all three with them and am pleased with price and service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so I went with Nationwide. Rates are different from state to state but I've never owned a bike before, got a speeding ticket 2 months ago (though it didn't show up in their system so it wasn't taken into consideration; would have been $200 more).

Full coverage with comp @ 500 and collision @ 1000:
$544 for a year or about 45 a month. Pretty freakin awesome so definitely give them a call for a quote :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dairlyland. I have State Farm for the house and truck but they wanted quite a bit for the bike. Couldn't come close to Dairyland. I'll have to look to see what the rates are. I just pay automagically every month.

USAA has sent me letters wanting me to join them. I had both grandfathers serve in the armed forces during WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I guess that's why they want me to join. I haven't yet.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
USAA.

I spoke with USAA recently and asked them about motorcycle coverage. Most of what I said above was wrong, According to the representative that I spoke with, USAA provides motorcycle coverage in some states, but not others. They will cover motorcycles in California, for example, but not in Massachusetts. If I were to move from CA to MA, then I would have to find another company for motorcycle insurance. If I move back from MA to CA, then I could get USAA motorcycle insurance again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
$128 year full coverage $250 deductable with Progressive plus $145 MCCA assessment for the K12GT
$74 year full coverage $250 deductable with Progressive plus $145 MCCA assessment for the Ducati

It probably helps that I am in the last year of my 60s, They think I just look at the bikes :rotf:

The Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA), a private non-profit unincorporated association, was created by the state Legislature in 1978. Michigan's unique auto insurance no-fault law provides unlimited lifetime coverage for medical expenses which result from auto accidents. The MCCA reimburses auto no-fault insurance companies for each Personal Injury Protection (PIP) medical claim paid in excess of a set amount. Currently that amount is $500,000. That means that the insurance company pays the entire claim, but is reimbursed by the MCCA for medical costs over $500,000.

All auto insurance companies operating in Michigan are assessed to cover the catastrophic medical claims occurring in Michigan. Those assessments are generally passed on to auto insurance policyholders. The 2011-2012 assessment is $145.00 per vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Geico, $340 a year full coverage for my 2010 K1300GT. Really easy to work with. Best rates right out of the gate. Haven't heard a peep since except "Happy your on board".

Worse pricing policies I've dealt with were Sentry's (Dairlyland) Raised my rates on my K1200S right off the bat. I even called the state insurance board thinking it was a bait and switch. Then they just kept raising the rates even though the bike kept getting older. And they hit me with a HUGE increase when I bought my ZX14. HUGE. Said it was a "High Performance Bike", funny, I thought the K was too. Offered me a 2% discount if I subscribed to some fuc n motorcycle magazine though. Funny thing was after having three bikes covered with them and no claims, when I told them adios I never heard from them again. Nada. You'd think they'd have some kind of preferred customer retention program. "Hey buddy, what prompted ya to leave?"

Haven't had Liberty Mutual on my bikes but have had them on other business related insurances in the past...absolutely the worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. Actually nasty people.

I have all my other insurance thru USAA. Great company but they don't cover bikes. Someone said in an earlier post they do in some states. Unless the policy has changed, I'm not sure that's right. I've been told they offload all their bike stuff to Progressive and they're generally not competitive. For the guy who earlier said he keeps getting solicitations from them, dude, USAA caters to officer ranks and their dependents. They're the best. Better than State Farm I'm sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
bimmerteam said:
Alright so I went with Nationwide. Rates are different from state to state but I've never owned a bike before, got a speeding ticket 2 months ago (though it didn't show up in their system so it wasn't taken into consideration;

They'll find it. lol. Fat lady's not singing yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts