BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard the Metzler Roadtech 01s are better than Angel GTs which were going to be my next set of tires in a couple of thousand miles.
Anyone have them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use these on my R1000S and think they are brilliant, but im not sure how you will get on with theme on the K bike being 65Kg heavier.
I have Michin's on my KRS and they are good too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having second thoughts about them. They look a little too flat for a 55 profile, as do the Angels, and for the K bike you need as much rear lift as you can get. I think the PR4s may be the best thing for this bike in all weather riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 6.0 in rim on my k1200r. I have a 190/50 in the rear now but want to go 55. I just can't decide on what tire. I agree that the Angels look a little flat for a 55. I have the pilots on mine now and it does ok in the twisties, but i'd like a little more.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
55 Pilots are a little too triangular for these bikes. Allot of people don't like them. I had them on another sport tourer which needed rear lift, and were sensitive to a v or triangular shape as well, and they sucked. For touring I'd stick with the PRs.
There's some guy on the other forum, Beach, who sells these well made links which lift up the rear end a bit to get sharper steering. Keep in mind you loose some high speed stability though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, for the last year I have used the Metzeler Roadtec 01 on my R1200RT and drove 10000 miles on them and there was still a little miles back on them, I tried them because the German magazine Motorrad (largest motorcycle magezin in Europe) voted them for best touring/sport tires in 2016, and I think they were great, this year (2017) the test said that Conti roadattack 03 is the best and the Metzeler Roadtec is on a second place, but they also write that Metzeler Roadtex 01 is the best allround tires for those who drive from spring to fall. In case some will use the Roadtec 01 have in mind that if you have a heavy bike you should use the version HWM (Heavy weight motorcycles)

The test of Touring/sports tires from May 2017 says. #1. Conti Road Attack 3. #2. Metzeler Roadtec01. #3. Pirelli Angel GT. #4. Michelin Pilot Road4. #5. Dunlop Roadsmart lll. #6. Bridgestone T30 Evo

Best regards Tom H. Denmark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a K1300S with Roadtec 01's and they are fantastic. AND I'VE GOT A K1300GT and I've just put on Roadtec 01's (the heavy versions) and suddenly I've got a major problem. The steering feels too light and the bike wanders at slow speed and weaves at high speed. Thought there may something wrong with the bike, but there doesn't appear to be.

Thought that maybe the heavy versions are stiffer and perhaps they need different tyre (btw I'm in the Uk hence the spelling!!) pressures but I've checked with Metzler direct by email and they said it should be standard 36 and 42 psi (or 2.5 and 2.9 bar) - btw - great speedy response from Metzler - thanks.

However, not convinced - to try to emulate the lighter tyre I've reduced the pressures to 2.1 and 2.5 and it's much better, but not as good as previously.

Anyone come across this problem?

Thanks, Bryan

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the Metzler Roadtech 01's (heavy) on my bike and for the first 2k they were great....But not impressive after 2k. I noticed the center flattening out faster than expected.

I'm on my 3rd set of Angel GTs (A spec) on my Kawasaki ZRX1200R and they are Great!

I decided to try them on my K1200S and love them. Great response and a confident tire.

Do Not get the Angel GT2's. Two of my friends have them and they don't like them compared to the Angel GTs. One friend is getting them replaced for free going back to the Angel GTs. The BMW service manager recommended them so he had them put on. A week later during lunch he stopped by the dealership and told the service manager the GT2 are horrible and to ride his K1300S. The service manager came back and told him Monday he will have a new set of GT's at no charge on his bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have mainly had Angel GT A fitted for the past 4 years on my K1300S - 3 sets.

Then I decided to try the Roadtech 01, but in my opinion they're not quite as good as the Angels. They're more sensitive to the UK road surfaces than the Angels, and also don't have quite the same completely solid feeling went leant right that the Angel has. However, they're not bad - just not as good.

The Roadtecs ran out (7k miles - pretty good life), so I've put an Angel GT2 A pair on about 500 miles ago. They're definitely better than the Roadtec 01s in my opinion. It's difficult to say whether the new Angels are better than the original Angel GTs - 7k was quite a while ago. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have mainly had Angel GT A fitted for the past 4 years on my K1300S - 3 sets.

Then I decided to try the Roadtech 01, but in my opinion they're not quite as good as the Angels. They're more sensitive to the UK road surfaces than the Angels, and also don't have quite the same completely solid feeling went leant right that the Angel has. However, they're not bad - just not as good.

The Roadtecs ran out (7k miles - pretty good life), so I've put an Angel GT2 A pair on about 500 miles ago. They're definitely better than the Roadtec 01s in my opinion. It's difficult to say whether the new Angels are better than the original Angel GTs - 7k was quite a while ago. :)
You may have better luck with the GT2's. His biggest complaint was the front tire catching road fractures and the rain drainage groves on the highways. Even the service manager was concerned and that's why he replaced them with the GT's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, full disclosure: I run a motorcycle tyre shop in London.

I just wanted to chip in to this thread which I found in Google.

This is the first time I've heard of that issue with GT2s. They are a popular tyre.

For the K1300S the most popular tyres are:

Bridgestone T31 GT
Metzeler Road Tec 01
Pirelli Angel GT2

Interestingly, Michelin's Pilot Road 3 is still sought after, despite there being a 4 and a 5!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
372 Posts
Bryan, your description of your bike handling is one of the major indicators that your front wheel carrier (forks) has worn out ball joints. Feeling stiff and wondering at low speeds that moves on to not being able to hold a line at faster paces. This can occur with as few as 35,000 miles or so. Maybe tires so keep an eye on things. Bikes do not like every brand or type of tire. Right now I'm on Metzler M7RR's. Danger, tire thread, sorry.
I have tried 01's on my K bike. There are better tires.
I have Wilbers shocks on my bike at the moment. The stock rear shock comes with a longer overall length so my bike rear is now raised about an inch. I don't particularly like it but it is there. I went several rounds with the rebuild shop and had little luck convincing them of my displeasure. Lift plates do change things. When these bikes were used in factory sponsored races years back they were fit with 31mm lift plates.
One of the things I like about the K13S is it's high speed stability, not that I go there much anymore... .You can nail the brakes at 160 and live through it. Some bikes don't like that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts