BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's all sorts of speculation about the new GT, it's power, ability, design, price etc. Everyone has something to say.

What I'd like to know, since there's so much variety in opinion about the GT, is WHO the typical GT rider will be?

Will they be older, younger, married, single, employed, retired, etc? And HOW will they use the GT?

What percentage of buyers will actually buy the GT for it's touring capacity?

Forget the FJR and other competitors.

Thinking only about the new GT, what do you think? Who / What is the GT target audience?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
ME! 50ish, last kid getting toward the end of dental school. Always had sport bikes. Remembers when AMF owned Harley and they were crap and doesn't want to be one of the masses. Doesn't want a land yacht. Went into the dealer last year and immediately went to the K1200S, Only to have the wife who is standing next to R1200RT tell you to "grow up", finally meet wife in the middle of the showroom next to a K1200GT. Wish I had waited for the new one! I think mine looks better, but power and technology always wins over esthetics for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
f650GS

SheRidesABeemer said:
Let's see BMW has yet to make a bike with women in mind, so it won't be me!
I don't know, my EX's first bike was an 02 650 and she did very well on that bike. With the low seat she could flat foot it and she is only 5-5. Decent power, ABS, fairly light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Ha

Probably people with more $$ than common sense!! ( sorry I just had to say it, it's the eggnog talking)
Most people I have met who have GT's, seem to be new people to the BMW line-up, and are coming from another brand. They seem to only ride them occasionally, the smaller percent I have met, seem to put alot of miles on them and take trips alone?? Not sure what that is about, must be a "Zen" thing!!
It seems like the largest portion of RT and GS riders, are the hardcore riders who do 600-1000 mile days endlessly, not normally fast riding, just cover alot of ground in a day. The LT is for long distance touring, us K-S riders are just crazy posers (no one needs that much power and speed between their legs, and they are too beautiful to get dirty anyway) more than half of the riders I have met with the K-S show up for sunday rides, bike nites etc, and then ride off alone in the sunset, the remaining bunch seem to arrive at dawn, and return at dusk, no standing around BSing, just hardcore riding!
I havent really seen alot of R-S riders lately, and they typically use it as a second bike to the LT, at least the ones I have met.
This is just my observation, and not my opinion however, based on the riders I have met.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bored?

jpalamaro said:
Bored again David?
Actually John, no. I have too much going on for that!

My question is quite sincere. I’m curious, not so much about the qualities, design and capacities of the new GT, but about it’s intended audience, and who the participants of this board think that might be.

Generally speaking, none here can legitimately criticize BMW engendering and technical prowess. It’s obvious to us all that BMW builds good stuff that lasts. Parts may fail, but that’s expected, and not a significant point of discussion.

And as to the issue of cost, well, truly, this is significant [only] to discussions of personal, financial mobility and maybe, personal ethics. Our relationship to money has no bearing on anything but our own relationship to money.

As a potential GT customer I’ve asked myself over and over if my riding style will FIT THE BIKE, not the other way around. I’m a living, breathing human being, and I can adjust. I’ll change over the years. The GT will not. It will be what it will be for as long as it will be. So it seems right that I ask myself if I’m right for IT rather than if it’s right for me. (There’s a subtle difference here, if you get the point.) In this regard, I should have asked this question before buying the KS, and it appears you should have as well. Although neither of us may have regrets with our choice to buy the S, had we known more about the intended K1200S audience, and used that information to make an educated guess…well, you wouldn’t be conflicted over keeping it and I wouldn’t have sold. It was fun, but so too are occasional lovers, but break-ups are never cheap.

My question, again, is WHO is the GT made for? Is it made for you? I don’t know. Is it made for me? It appears the GT is designed for comfortable, FAST, long range, bags-packed-to-the-hilt-take-a-week-or-two-long-range-touring. It’s not a camper’s bike. It’s not a Barkalounger-bike. It’s not an around-town-errands bike. It won’t cross a stream. It’ll look silly on the track. It’s not as plush as the LT. So, whom did BMW make the GT for? Any ideas?

As for me, when I’m no longer interested in working, with lots of time on my hands, then, maybe, the GT will make sense. For now, it doesn’t.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
wow thats me-

1960apache said:
, the smaller percent I have met, seem to put alot of miles on them and take trips alone?? Not sure what that is about, must be a "Zen" thing!!!
Are you really alone if your i-pod's cranking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Hmmm!

So I guess it is my "Opinion" that has created people like this,
"QUOTE"
"The new GT will be a perfect bike for old-timers with lots of time on their hands, money to burn, and who are looking for a sporty ride to keep shinny and clean. They will ride it now and then, and some may even take it on an occasional tour, although most likely on a trailer, behind a motor-home. It'll be a great, fun, toy. Some may even take it on the road for a week or two, but they'll be a minority. The GT will suggest affluence and success. It is staid, plain and unpretentious. It won't win any beauty contests. And perhaps that's BMW's intended audience for the new GT? It will appeal to a rider group who, as older riders, have a better grasp of the transient nature of appearance, and who tend to focus more on essence. It will be a great retirement bike".

and all the dealers that I have talked to, have also created a market based on their "Opinions" of who the market for the GT is. Ask your dealer who "BUYS" a GT!!
There is nothing wrong with having a great sport-touring bike, that mostly gets used as a hobby bike. I am sure I will have one in my garage in a year or so, after a few come on the used market, it will probably only get used for 2up day trips.
How many Porshes, Ferrari's etc. spend most of their lives in a garage covered up, and mostly used for pleasure. We have to have some luxuries for all our hard work!! Maybe you have heard of a company called "Harley Davidson"?? If they relied on the small market that actually buys a bike to ride the crap out of, they would be broke in a day, the largest percent of people who buy anything with the "HD" logo, are only image conscious!
But hey, what do we know, we have only been walking upright for the past week or so!!!! I am sorry if reality pains you!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
1960apache said:
So I guess it is my "Opinion" that has created people like this,
"QUOTE"
"The new GT will be a perfect bike for old-timers with lots of time on their hands, money to burn, and who are looking for a sporty ride to keep shinny and clean. They will ride it now and then, and some may even take it on an occasional tour, although most likely on a trailer, behind a motor-home. It'll be a great, fun, toy. Some may even take it on the road for a week or two, but they'll be a minority. The GT will suggest affluence and success. It is staid, plain and unpretentious. It won't win any beauty contests. And perhaps that's BMW's intended audience for the new GT? It will appeal to a rider group who, as older riders, have a better grasp of the transient nature of appearance, and who tend to focus more on essence. It will be a great retirement bike".

and all the dealers that I have talked to, have also created a market based on their "Opinions" of who the market for the GT is. Ask your dealer who "BUYS" a GT!!
There is nothing wrong with having a great sport-touring bike, that mostly gets used as a hobby bike. I am sure I will have one in my garage in a year or so, after a few come on the used market, it will probably only get used for 2up day trips.
How many Porshes, Ferrari's etc. spend most of their lives in a garage covered up, and mostly used for pleasure. We have to have some luxuries for all our hard work!! Maybe you have heard of a company called "Harley Davidson"?? If they relied on the small market that actually buys a bike to ride the crap out of, they would be broke in a day, the largest percent of people who buy anything with the "HD" logo, are only image conscious!
But hey, what do we know, we have only been walking upright for the past week or so!!!! I am sorry if reality pains you!!!
The 2nd quote is logical and without opinion so that all others need not respond! We have received "THE WORD".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Typical GT Rider

Well, I may not be typical but I am interested in the new GT. I'm a young 50 looking for a sport tourer. My wife often rides with me, when she's not riding her own bike. I average 6,000 miles a year with 2-3 trips in the 500-1,000 mile range. I have looked a many other bikes and have come up empty.

My ideal bike in comparsion to the new GT (the more ++ the better the match)

Sport Tourer ++++
Adjustable Windscreen ++++
ABS ++++ (A Must and the reason many other bikes fall short)
Comfort Options ++++ (Heated grips, heated seat, GPS)
Reasonable Range +++
Reasonable Power +++
Light Weight - - (BMWs are all too heavy, should be under 550 lbs wet)
Available Low Seat - - - - (Could be the reason not to buy, 31.5" is NOT a low seat)
Price - - - ($20,000+ is expensive for any motorcyle)
 

·
Statmaster
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
David,

I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to understand who would want the new GT.

There are plenty of people that tour either on a current RS/GT or LT. These people either want something just a bit more comfortable and has more touring capabilities without sacrificing performance (current RS/GT owners), or maybe something a bit lighter and a little more sporty without sacrificing the creature comforts (LT owners). Also, there are people who have been looking for the overall features provided by the new GT that aren't available in the FJR or ST1300, and are not ready to give in to the K1200LT or Goldwing set.

With the pricing on the BMW price sheet PCKRS posted last week, it looks like you can pretty much define as many or as little features as you want for between $18K and $21K. And it puts it right smack dab inbetween the R1200RT and the K1200RT -- exactly where a GT should be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Nice reply Jeff, but I don't think anyone can answer David's question because it not a question seeking information but a statement about the GT. Now I could be wrong, but historically questions of this sort generally are an attempt to mask an opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jpalamaro said:
Nice reply Jeff, but I don't think anyone can answer David's question because it not a question seeking information but a statement about the GT. Now I could be wrong, but historically questions of this sort generally are an attempt to mask an opinion.
My original post, and subsequent clarification was both a sincere question and personal response. I am inquiring into other members point of view, AND offering mine at the same time. Posting, at least for this me is a dialogue. If you can't answer the question, no big deal. Other members have. So, at least for me, it's worth the exercise. I'm very much interested in their opinions.

In fact this response was particularly helpful.

" There are plenty of people that tour either on a current RS/GT or LT. These people either want something just a bit more comfortable and has more touring capabilities without sacrificing performance (current RS/GT owners), or maybe something a bit lighter and a little more sporty without sacrificing the creature comforts (LT owners). Also, there are people who have been looking for the overall features provided by the new GT that aren't available in the FJR or ST1300, and are not ready to give in to the K1200LT or Goldwing set.

With the pricing on the BMW price sheet PCKRS posted last week, it looks like you can pretty much define as many or as little features as you want for between $18K and $21K. And it puts it right smack dab inbetween the R1200RT and the K1200RT -- exactly where a GT should be.
__________________
El Jeffe "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eljeffe said:
David,

I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to understand who would want the new GT.

There are plenty of people that tour either on a current RS/GT or LT. These people either want something just a bit more comfortable and has more touring capabilities without sacrificing performance (current RS/GT owners), or maybe something a bit lighter and a little more sporty without sacrificing the creature comforts (LT owners). Also, there are people who have been looking for the overall features provided by the new GT that aren't available in the FJR or ST1300, and are not ready to give in to the K1200LT or Goldwing set.

With the pricing on the BMW price sheet PCKRS posted last week, it looks like you can pretty much define as many or as little features as you want for between $18K and $21K. And it puts it right smack dab inbetween the R1200RT and the K1200RT -- exactly where a GT should be.
Very helpful. Thanks!
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top