BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Firstly, i'm sorry to come crashing in on your forum as a total newbie asking for advice. I appreciate you guys probably get this a lot.

So, today a friend of mine turned up at my workshop with a rather tatty looking, utterly neglected k1200rs. Its been sat outside for years, and his lady has made him get rid. I was dreading the inevitable "can you please get it running so i can sell it" but instead he asked "do you want this? i know you like bmws"

And just like that i had my very own k1200rs.

I've been looking over it this afternoon, trying to get some signs of life out of it but it's electrically dead. like totally dead! no lights, no relays clicking, nothing.

I've given it a big old battery, chased wiring here and there, checked fuses etc etc all the usual stuff but have had no luck whatsoever.

I figured i'd take a look at a wiring schematic for it and see if itll lead me to the fault but they're even more elusive than the gremlin i'm trying to locate.

Do any of you guys happen to have a copy of the schematic that you'd be willing to send me a copy of?

Regards

Matt

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Everything dead? Check the electrical component of the ignition switch.It is probably corroded and not making contact.

Clymer manual does show how to remove it.Not how to pop it apart and clean it but that's a start.

And electrical diagrams are in the Clymer.They do vary by year and considering the complexities of them Ks,be they electrical or mechanical a manual is much required.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There are 2 wire bundles that connect to the negative terminal. Probably not your problem, but the 2nd one always gets buried and misses getting reconnected. But yeah, go to ebay and get yourself a Clymer's; you will need it for EVERYthing you will ever do to this bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to the dealer I asked, here it is:

Battery—————-German Magic————Mystery Box————-Servos————ABS———-Flux Capacitor——-More Mystery Boxes——-GND.

And there is no standardization of wire colors between models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts