BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
9,200 in 8 months here...someone here has over 25,000 I believe.

·
Registered
505 Posts
sportrider said:
I've only got 7500 miles on mine...like to see who's got the most and what problems they've had, if any?
9000 miles on mine... battery replaced under warranty... otherwise flawless.

·
Registered
433 Posts
26,000 miles since May. New clutch (recall); replaced clutch master and slave cylinders. Rear brake stopped working TODAY. I'll bring it into the dealer this week to check this out and get another set of tires.

Other than that and the transmission clunk (1-2) all's well and I think the bike is terrific. It is far better than my '98 K1200RS (with 170,000 miles) which I still ride and enjoy.

Ken

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey Ken, tell us where you've been. Damn, 26,000 miles. And looked at your profile in NJ. Am truly impressed!

Rgds,
John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Close, but no cigar

14,800 miles since July. Parking light and right turn signal bulbs went out, damn! I've been through the OEM Pilot Sports and I'm on my 2nd set of Metz Z-6s. I highly recommend the Z-6s for guys like me that put some miles on the scooter.

I've been to Colorado and many Western States on it. I posted details on the old site.

So far so good, knock on carbon fiber...

·
Registered
368 Posts
kencorsun said:
26,000 miles since May. New clutch (recall); replaced clutch master and slave cylinders. Rear brake stopped working TODAY. I'll bring it into the dealer this week to check this out and get another set of tires.

Other than that and the transmission clunk (1-2) all's well and I think the bike is terrific. It is far better than my '98 K1200RS (with 170,000 miles) which I still ride and enjoy.

Ken
What tires are you running?

·
Registered
433 Posts
jpalamaro said:
Hey Ken, tell us where you've been. Damn, 26,000 miles. And looked at your profile in NJ. Am truly impressed!

Rgds,
John
John,

We are, occasionally, permitted to leave NJ. On those occasions my wife, Gina, and I have ridden to New Orleans, San Antonio, Santa Fe, Kanab UT, Iowa City, Minneapolis, Boston, etc. Most of our traveling has been on vacation, some to visit relatives and friends. It certainly helps that I am retired and my wife is a teacher.

Additionally, we ride with a club that does about 300 miles every Sunday (weather permitting). You would be surprised at the number of really good twisty roads in NJ and neighboring New York and Pennsylvania.

I've yet to find a type of riding where the S does not do well, short of off road. Great bike!

Ken

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Good for you! I used to live in a small town upsate NY and spent some time in the seventies living in Ridgewood, NJ . . . and am very familiar with some of the great riding roads!

Best Regards

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 17,800 miles. I prefer the pilot powers but the Z6 is a great choice on a long tour. The only thing I have replaced is the low beam bulb. This bike is tremendous. Much better when compared to my 99 K1200RS that I retired with 73000 miles.

George

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
kencorsun said:
...New clutch (recall); replaced clutch master and slave cylinders....

Ken
Howdy Ken,

Did you get the recall information without prompting, or did you have symtoms of a problem and then get notification?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Thanks,

·
Registered
433 Posts
BillyOmaha said:
Howdy Ken,

Did you get the recall information without prompting, or did you have symtoms of a problem and then get notification?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Thanks,

Billy,

I found a small wire (1/4" long) in the oil. The dealer contacted BMW and was notified that there was a problem. Subsequently another bike showed the same problem. The entire clutch was replaced on my bike.

Perhaps calling this a recall was not exactly correct, but I am under the impression that BMW knows there is/was a problem with the original clutches. I suppose if you never have a problem, BMW will not replace the clutch. OK, so it really wasn't a recall, just a repair under warranty.'

The subsequent problem requiring replacing the master and slave clutch cylinders was not related as far as can be determined. Apparently air was getting into the system somewhere causing the lever to get very mushy. This problem has been resolved.

Unfortunately, I'm dropping the bike off tomorrow to have the rear brake checked. Yesterday I noticed that the rear brake doesn't work. I get a little grip and then it fades to nothing as I press on the pedal. Within a couple of seconds there is absolutely no rear braking. When I use the lever the bike seems to stop fine, but I can't really tell if the rear is doing any stopping or if it is just the front. We shall see.

Ken

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ken,
Just recently I had a rear brake failure. The rear master cylinder was leaking fluid in the top connection. They replaced the connector and the master cylinder. 7,300 miles when it happened. No brakes when I'd depress the pedal alone, front and rear if I used the front lever alone. Different circuits and the fluids don't mix.

FYI, I also had a big pucker on my Saturday twisty ride. Entering a corner, I got what felt like a stuck throttle. Heavy trail braking all through the corner as I fought the RPMs with braking. RPMs would drop when I braked, but as soon as I pulled in the clutch it would immediately go WOT. After the corner, and after almost rear ending the guy in front of me, I was able to hit the kill switch. Subsequent revving resulted in what felt like a 10,000 pound flywheel. Revved like a car and sometimes would hold the high rev for a few moments before coming back to idle.

Just under 8k, been to the shop 3 times. I'm concerned.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Catatafish said:
FYI, I also had a big pucker on my Saturday twisty ride. Entering a corner, I got what felt like a stuck throttle. Heavy trail braking all through the corner as I fought the RPMs with braking. RPMs would drop when I braked, but as soon as I pulled in the clutch it would immediately go WOT. After the corner, and after almost rear ending the guy in front of me, I was able to hit the kill switch. Subsequent revving resulted in what felt like a 10,000 pound flywheel. Revved like a car and sometimes would hold the high rev for a few moments before coming back to idle.

Just under 8k, been to the shop 3 times. I'm concerned.
Damn! Problems like than cause you to lose confidence in the bike. Glad to hear you got through it. Keep us posted as to the problem.

Ken

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got 8000 miles and switched to full synthetic oil, significant improvement in shifting and engine vibrations. Runs also cooler, I noticed at stop lights where the cooling fans would normally turn on with the old oil, now I could spend minutes in traffic and no additional cooling required – less friction.

Very happy with the bike, I experienced a similar problem with the rpm not going down after turning off the gas, but that happen around 2000 miles mark and only once at 3 - 4 stop lights and all was normal later, I don't know the reason. Using Pilot Power – happy, upgraded to the 5.1 software about two weeks ago and the bike runs/feels much more civilized, I would recommend it to everyone.

Oh I started hearing a squeaking noise when applying the clutch lever and will consult with the dealer this week. My rear brake is also very, very weak so I don’t relay on it, I have to pump it a few times before it start working, but I think this is a common knowledge.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
433 Posts
Faust said:
What tires are you running?
When I originally responded I was running Metzeler Z6s. I decided to get Michelin Pilot Roads this time just to try them. I'll let you know how I like them after I ride a couple of thousand miles.

Ken

1 - 19 of 19 Posts