BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through Ebay there seems to be a large number of late model GT's for sale. I can purchase from a dealer an 09 model with 3,500 miles on the Odometer and the asking price is $14,995.

I currently ride an RT and am considering the GT but am just wondering why there are so many for sale.
The bike is rated as the best sport tourer and has great performance and ergonomics. Is it possibly to much to handle for a novice or occasional rider.

Any input is appreciated.

·
IBR# 366
3,215 Posts
Simple. The economy is tough right now, and a lot of folks are shedding their expensive toys. Why make payments and insurance on a bike that gets ridden once or twice a year when you're worried about making the mortgage?

·
Registered
84 Posts
madone59 said:
The bike is rated as the best sport tourer and has great performance and ergonomics. Is it possibly to much to handle for a novice or occasional rider.

its a big bike, but if you already ride an RT then the only thing you have to worry about is your own self control.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ever since they introduced the 1300 the market has been flooded with 1200's from people looking to get on the latest technology. It's another reason along with the reasons posted earlier.

I have a friend trying to unload his 07 1200 and can't because there are so many out there. The dealers slashed prices as well which makes his used bike worth even less.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ken is right, it's not just BMW's but Harley's and most other brands. My son has been out of work for a year and I just staved off the repo-man regarding his car. Hell, I've been trying to sell mine but no luck, buyer's market. Right now I'm not in the bad place but my employer can wack me at any time.

·
Registered
749 Posts
madone59 said:
Looking through Ebay there seems to be a large number of late model GT's for sale. I can purchase from a dealer an 09 model with 3,500 miles on the Odometer and the asking price is $14,995.

I currently ride an RT and am considering the GT but am just wondering why there are so many for sale.

I went from an RT to a GT, and couldn't be happier. I have some fueling issues in hot weather and only crawling along in first gear, but no high idle, and nothing worth the aggravation of tying up the bike at the dealer, not until the end of the warranty period anyway. As for why so many are for sale I think its the economy, nothing more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are so many for sale right now, so tightwads like me can squander our horded dollars on such a beautiful, speedy motorcycle.

Tight economy? Going into the winter? Sick of looking at the motorcycle, Mr. Dealer? Want some cash for Friday payroll or to floorplan that stack of metric cruisers and hard-to-finace ricerockets in the back room? Why, sell it to me! And that he did.

Now, one problem.

What the HECK do I do with this piece of crap '99 Harley Heritage Sofatail?

If you want to talk about something with its price in the crapper, that's it, guys.

Being a noooooob, I've got some questions for you guys. I'll start another thread for that.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Heated seat..........Is seeing the snowflake on your GT's display a common thing for GT owners?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome to the party marKgt. What to do with the old bike? Like you I was a Harley rider the day I walked into the BMW dealership in '07 and road away on my new GT. The hog ('96 Dyna Wide Glyde) remains in the fleet to this day and occasionally I crank it up and head out for a nostalgic afternoon ride in the country. We are both older now and it doesn't quite fit the role of a comfortable touring bike like the GT does with its heated handles and seats and all. When the need for cash arises I'll sell the boat first then the Harley then the house. My point is if you don't need the cash you'll like the variety of having more than one bike. The worst ride I ever had was still pretty good. Enjoy the forum.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
marKgt said:
Mmmmmmmmmm. Heated seat..........Is seeing the snowflake on your GT's display a common thing for GT owners?
Only for the die hards.

I see it most mornings from November to March.

Let's me know if I go down, I should slide a little further.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I see it in the first week of November. Can be fun the first time.

The economy is in the tank, people are losing their jobs. Hell, I bought my 07 at a great price for 15500 last year(so i thought), now people can't move their 08s at 12k. Sure wish i would have waited for this buyers market. Anybody want a 98 K12rs taxi?The 98 is in the crapper for prices too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, I understand the economy is in the tank, and I also understand very well times of desperation (I lived on my K100RT for 6 months many years ago), but no need to "give them away". People have to pay to play- like we did. I love my '06.

·
Registered
14 Posts
marKgt said:
There are so many for sale right now, so tightwads like me can squander our horded dollars on such a beautiful, speedy motorcycle.

Tight economy? Going into the winter? Sick of looking at the motorcycle, Mr. Dealer? Want some cash for Friday payroll or to floorplan that stack of metric cruisers and hard-to-finace ricerockets in the back room? Why, sell it to me! And that he did.

Now, one problem.

What the HECK do I do with this piece of crap '99 Harley Heritage Sofatail?

If you want to talk about something with its price in the crapper, that's it, guys.

Being a noooooob, I've got some questions for you guys. I'll start another thread for that.

Bet you wished you bought a 2000 Heritage Softail instead. You can't even compare the riding style of an HD with the Beemers. I've had several HD's and K1200GT and R1200RT and all were great depending on what you wanted to get out of the riding experiance. I would take my Roadking over the 1200GT and 1200RT any day for highway travel, but love the RT and GT for twisty's and canyons and riding with my sport bike buddies.

Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought my 2007 GT brand new and have loved every minute I've been on it. I, too, had considered selling it due to the economy, but have decided to keep it. I just enjoy riding it so much.

I live in San Francisco and commute on it every day to Santa Clara (except when it rains). I've have logged 43K miles since June 2007.

And, yes, I've seen that flashing snowflake only once; while riding to work. It certainly freaked me out.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Sparkling Snowflakes.....?????? I was always more worried about the sparkling road ice crystals, at 05.00 AM going to work on my 85 K100RS! :yeow:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Prices are much higher here in OZ but the depreciation on these things isnt pretty.
My bike was $35,000 Aussie dollars new in November 06.
My dealer is currently advertising a red 1300GTSE demo with only 400ks on it for $30,500 ride away.
I asked him over the phone what a ball park trade figure would be for mine with 26,000kls on it and I had a quiet moment when he said $13-14k.
I said "no Tony, mine is the current shape GT not the brick" he said "thats right, $13-$14k".
Thats a 60% depreciation in 3 years or nearly a $1 per kilometer.
I would like a new 1300 but Im sure its not a $$20k better bike.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Depreciation sucks.Some like to buy used so someone else pays the first years depreciation. Getting a US$22K bike for US$14K helps you feel better when you look and see that the resale value is instantly US$12K. All of this only counts if you are interested more in the theoretical values more than the "just ride it" purpose of getting the bike in the first place. Buy the bike you want to ride, or buy the bike that holds its value better....that is the question. I choose to ride.

·
Registered
650 Posts
lhendrick said:
Depreciation sucks.Some like to buy used so someone else pays the first years depreciation. Getting a US$22K bike for US$14K helps you feel better when you look and see that the resale value is instantly US$12K. All of this only counts if you are interested more in the theoretical values more than the "just ride it" purpose of getting the bike in the first place. Buy the bike you want to ride, or buy the bike that holds its value better....that is the question. I choose to ride.
Yeah you are right but one of my life challenges has been that I want it all.
Nature normally dictates that I get what I need. (Did I just hear Mick Jagger?)

·
Registered
1 Posts
DGShaffer said:
Ever since they introduced the 1300 the market has been flooded with 1200's from people looking to get on the latest technology. It's another reason along with the reasons posted earlier.

I have a friend trying to unload his 07 1200 and can't because there are so many out there. The dealers slashed prices as well which makes his used bike worth even less.
tell your friend to email me,, at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.