BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
As wonderful as the S is...it just "looked" like every other sportbike- the KR was just so "different" and striking. The fact it has a different head angle and shorter gears played in to the equation too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignore Amos said:
As wonderful as the S is...it just "looked" like every other sportbike- the KR was just so "different" and striking. The fact it has a different head angle and shorter gears played in to the equation too.
Do you notice higher RPMs at speed because of the shorter gears?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I rode the S. A near perfect bike. Just didn't have and "edge" to it.

Then I rode the R and I rode it back to back with the S. The R was much better for the "sensation" of riding without the windshield. It just felt more alive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I already have a fully faired sportbike and wanted something better suited to 2-up riding, occasional commuting, etc. Plus, the KR has sportbike performance and will not be mistaken for anything else on the road !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
i personally DONT like the S, i think its kinda boring ( especially for the extra $$$ )

but i think what really brings it home is....yesterday i dropped my R off at the dealership for the 600mile service, as we were pulling out a guy in a NICE, new, bmw 745 pulls up walks past all the other bikes in the parkinglot ( a few S's in that group ) right to mine with the biggest smile on his face, thought that was kinda cool..for him to get out of THAT car and drool over the R. it made that impact on me..thats why im in the poor house just so i can ride it :ricky :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CC71 said:
i personally DONT like the S, i think its kinda boring ( especially for the extra $$$ )

but i think what really brings it home is....yesterday i dropped my R off at the dealership for the 600mile service, as we were pulling out a guy in a NICE, new, bmw 745 pulls up walks past all the other bikes in the parkinglot ( a few S's in that group ) right to mine with the biggest smile on his face, thought that was kinda cool..for him to get out of THAT car and drool over the R. it made that impact on me..thats why im in the poor house just so i can ride it :ricky :D
Yeah, I'm sure it's a bike that attracts attention!

Fortunately I wouldn't be in the poor house, it would be more a less a straight trade for my GT (but no luggage, does have ABS and a center stand). Just haven't quite made up my mind...S or R? The S would cost me a few grand more ...and I'd have to wait a few months for it. A Silver/Black R, and a Yellow/Black one, is available now at the local dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
sinc said:
Do you notice higher RPMs at speed because of the shorter gears?
At a highway speed of 65-80 mphs, you can still choose from gears 2,3,4,5,6 on the R. I frequently stay at or below 5th, so while an S would be in lower RPMs in 5th at the same speed, I don't feel like I'm missing long legs.

btw,
Choose 2nd from 50mph and you hit 100mph in about 3 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
like everyone else I wanted a bike that could not be mistaken for another. And it looks so sexy. I love showing it off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I love the R. Besides having a bad-assed attitude that everyone seems to already know about, it has that "something" about it; that thing that makes you keep looking at it.
I've only had mine a couple of weeks and to a man, everyone of my buddies have asked to take it for a spin. That complete consensus never happened with any of my other rides.
 

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
The "S" is like 'mak'n love'.............The "R" is like hav'n sex. 2t2f
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Originally loved the looks of the R, but went the ST path. Having had the rockster beforehand I liked the no fairing, upright position around town which was great.

Having a lot more power, even better...

and yes I agree with the other posts, the S looks like a blackbird.. The R looks like, well something thats been dropped and rebuilt with a bit of attitude! :D



(did I mention the power? :lol: )
Bry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bry said:
Originally loved the looks of the R, but went the ST path. Having had the rockster beforehand I liked the no fairing, upright position around town which was great.

Having a lot more power, even better...

and yes I agree with the other posts, the S looks like a blackbird.. The R looks like, well something thats been dropped and rebuilt with a bit of attitude! :D



(did I mention the power? :lol: )
Bry
Bry, I thought you had an R...:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Sorry for confusion, yes I do have an R.

Originally when I still had the rockster I was looking at the K1200R (which hadn't come out yet), rode the R1200ST and loved it and bought that...

When it developed the issues, I didn't want it back, I then changed to the KR...

Bry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
sinc said:
Why did you pick the R over the S?
Two reasons:

1) I don't really like plastic/ABS fairings, and I really don't want to fix plastic/ABS fairings if I drop it or worse

2) I like the look better

Cheers,

Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
I got my R because it was what was available (an S wasn't in stock). But I can say I really prefer it because

1-the lower ratio final drive
2-It's lighter
3-I've always had naked bikes
4-It's winning some competitions where the S is not (see 1 and 2 above)
5-better steering geometry and ergonomics
6-It looks pretty badass.

It's odd the magazines are putting the S up against the other sportbikes in comparison, when the R is winning competitions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
It looks like the bike Darth Vader would ride.

That is, it looks so much more meaner and sexier than just about any other bike out there. The S does not differentiate itself as much, though I like it in its yellow configuration.

I also like the Brutale S and Bimota, great lines.

Nejat
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top