BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, I have been looking around at Other K-Bikes for sale and I have noticed quite a few 2005-2006 K1200 S's for sale. Many that are loaded with lots of extras.

Why do you think that is, they have low miles on them also? To many problems?

Leon K.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Two reasons (according to my dealer):

1. Rider couldn't get comfortable with the S ergos.

2. The bike was just too powerful (I'm not kidding - I was there)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Older Vs Younger

It would seem that if ergos and power were the main reasons, then one could assume that the younger are not purchasing the new K1200 S, and the real soles and young at heart and mind are who is buying them, and finding out there bodies aint what they use to be.

I have to admit, I love the way the New K1200 S looks and handles. It temps me handles I look at one. I get crazy just thinking about having one. But Ohh how I feel that I would be sad when I tried to make it a touring machine. If the insurance was not so exspensive I would have two bikes.

El Jeffe, what do you mean you have been there? splain to me reeky!

Leon

·
Registered
98 Posts
I dont think the situation is any different than with any other motorcycle - people buy motorcycles and wind up selling them a few months later all the time for a million reasons - financial, trouble with the wife, change in lifestyle, medical problems, disatisfaction with the purchase, yada yada....

Even though motorcycles like the KS are at the top of the class in terms of price, it is still an impulse buy for a lot of people (as posed to many others who research their buys for years) - sometimes people don't think things thru all that well and realize the purchase was a mistake.

Wouldn't read too much into it - motorcyclists aren't always the best planners

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I meant that I was at the dealership when a K1200S owner returned after owning it for 3 days and said "too much power" and traded it in on a new R1200RT.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lots of Doctors, Lawyers and other people with too much money, buy the latest and greatest and then dont ride them, sell and buy this years yada yada yada - - -
You could make a living following them around and buying their cast offs.
When I worked in a Porshe dealer there were a bunch of the above who replaced their Porshes every year with 1500 miles on them, what a waste of good iron, and most of them couldn't drive ( ride) worth a crap. But they have the money it seems.
I consider them to be charm bracelet fillers. " see my new - - - " I guess I'm jealous
H

·
Registered
107 Posts
southerndude said:
It would seem that if ergos and power were the main reasons, then one could assume that the younger are not purchasing the new K1200 S, and the real soles and young at heart and mind are who is buying them, and finding out there bodies aint what they use to be.

I have to admit, I love the way the New K1200 S looks and handles. It temps me handles I look at one. I get crazy just thinking about having one. But Ohh how I feel that I would be sad when I tried to make it a touring machine. If the insurance was not so exspensive I would have two bikes.

El Jeffe, what do you mean you have been there? splain to me reeky!

Leon
The young ones cannot afford it even if they wanted to. The older ones can and some realise later that their bodies are no longer what they thought could handle such a sporty BMW ;-) And then there are those who always want the latest and greatest for a short while to show off or for the fun of it :) Hey I know a guy in his thirties currently on a K1200R who has had owned 42 bikes in his riding life. That makes it once every 6 months!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think some of us are always looking for the next kool bike and the GT fits the bill for many looking at the power plus something setup better for hyper touring. The cruise control was a tempting factor for me but I'm going to stick with the K12S for now. I use an FJR for long distance touring.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Speaking of the new ZX-14, I just purchased one, and after 400 miles, I can say without a doubt that it does NOT compare to the S. It may have a higher top speed, but it feels heavier, is bigger and taller, and is not as crisp under 6,000 rpm. I'm probably selling it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Too much power?

I've *never* understood the "too much power" issue, either for experienced riders or for beginners. Can't you just stop twisting the grip? You can't use full throttle everywhere on a 250cc bike, either!

A friend of mine is a newbie, and after going to MSF, etc., and a month with an EX500 she was looking for a new bike (not my recommendation). She had ditzed around on my KRS a bit and was comfortable with the weight, but not the position. She did her research and tried a bunch of different bikes from SV650 to V-Strom 1000, etc. and finally ended up with a Z750R, standard bike with quarter fairing, 90+ hp. I counseled her on the differences between the supersport bikes, standards, cruisers, etc., but beyond warning off the supersports because of the abrupt handling and powerbands, I told her basically to look for the riding position that worked for her, the *type* of engine she liked in terms of responsiveness, vibration, sound, torquey vs free-revving, and then to consider the more powerful bikes that fit the rest of her criteria, as long as they weren't too heavy for her. A motorcycle is a luxury item for almost everyone, and one of the luxuries is the performance, after all. She narrowed it down to the Yamaha FZ 600 (?) and the Kawasaki Z750R, and after riding both back to back chose the Kawasaki because she liked the torquier response and a couple other reasons.

She's very happy with her Z750R, and in following the breakin procedures of 4K revs for 400 miles, 6K for 600, she's getting used to the performance gradually. She's effectively riding a 40HP bike now, and when she's ready she's already paid for a 90HP one that she's already used to.

During her shopping experience, she had sales guys caution her against a VStrom 1000, and point her instead at a R6, because the engine/bike was smaller!

KeS

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
kevin_stevens said:
I've *never* understood the "too much power" issue, either for experienced riders or for beginners. Can't you just stop twisting the grip?
I had one friend who decided to stick with a K1200RS rather than a new K1200S because, "I would have to open an account with local law enforcement. They could just bill me once a month for all my speeding tickets".

·
Registered
87 Posts
zx9rmal said:
Speaking of the new ZX-14, I just purchased one, and after 400 miles, I can say without a doubt that it does NOT compare to the S. It may have a higher top speed, but it feels heavier, is bigger and taller, and is not as crisp under 6,000 rpm. I'm probably selling it.
Wow! We'd love a more detailed review and comparison of the two machines if you can...

·
Registered
216 Posts
tatran said:
The young ones cannot afford it even if they wanted to. The older ones can and some realise later that their bodies are no longer what they thought could handle such a sporty BMW ;-) And then there are those who always want the latest and greatest for a short while to show off or for the fun of it :) Hey I know a guy in his thirties currently on a K1200R who has had owned 42 bikes in his riding life. That makes it once every 6 months!
hmmm....

I wonder who that could be?

Bry

·
Registered
407 Posts
zx9rmal said:
Followed one on a group ride this past weekend. It looked heavier, bigger, and taller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The zx-14 is like my friends zx-11 turbo, it does one thing great, go really fast in a straight line, the rest, kind of so-so. His bike (zx-11) makes 322 whp on full boost and would leave a 14 like it was tied to a tree. I really gave a lot of thought to the ZX but after riding the K1200s I was sold. I love the twisties to much. I've got 2100mi on it and really think I made the correct decision. But I would like to add a duc 999 to the old stable for the track......... :D

Oh, and I can say from experence that 322 whp is really fast approaching the old "its to much power" deal........... :p :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, and I can say from experence that 322 whp is really fast approaching the old "its to much power" deal...........

That I'll make an exception for. :wtf

KeS

·
Registered
147 Posts
zx9rmal said:

thank you for the note, I was deciding between the new zx-14 or the s / gt, You didn't like the way it handeled? It just sucks that you can't even take the japs for a test ride...

·
Registered
495 Posts
<<The zx-14 is like my friends zx-11 turbo, it does one thing great, go really fast in a straight line, the rest, kind of so-so. >>

Well, I wouldn't exactly say THAT. It actually does everything quite well. Very light steering, excellent handling, very supple and stable suspension, good brakes, and very strong motor ABOVE 6,000 rpm. The pegs are high and forward, the seat is on the high side (about 1" taller than the S), and the bars are lower than I expected from the write-ups. The bike is also way overgeared. Speedo indicates 19.5 mph/1,000 rpm!! Compare that to the S at 16.5 mph/1,000 rpm. However, the gearing on the 14 DOES make for very easy cruising. The motor just loafs along, just over 5,000 rpm at 100 mph, compared to about 6,000 on the S.

Don't get me wrong. It's an excellent bike. If I didn't have the S, it would be a no brainer. Can't beat it for bang for the buck.

The bike just hasn't lit my fire like the S has. Perhaps it will grow on me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got it, I would have a better opinion if the local kaw dealer would have let me ride one, but of course, 46 year old dressed nice with 35 years on bikes driving a new M3?? We don't do test rides. Well you also don't want to sell bikes I guess....... :wtf

Oh, question for one who ownes both, would you say the k1200 pulls better below 6k like in second?? Curious? :confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts