BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any information or know a source for Wilbers' wind dots made by Shepard Industries? These are small transparent plastic domes that are stuck on the windschield. Their function is to break up the wind flow resulting in in less noise behind the windschield. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas,
Oldtimer

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wilbers' Wind Dots

These used to be available at Meiers.

They are most effective on the BMW touring screens with a flip at the top. They have no effect on the standard '98 screen.

Configurations vary but they should be placed at or near the top edge of the screen.

Their purpose is to create turbulence at this site so that negative pressure behind the screen is reduced. This decreases wind pop/flutter.

The large ones seem to work better.

See my home page for additional information.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the quick response. As I have the touring screen it sounds like they would be ideal. Where or how do I find Meiers?
I looked through your homepage, very nice, as a matter of fact I'm sure it was an article of your's which turned me on to the dots.

Regards,
Oldtimer

·
Registered
878 Posts
Meiers

This is a Wal-Mart-like store in the midwest.

Try google for their web site and store locator.

The 'dots' are sold as pads/feet for electronic gear.

BTW, the dots work best when the screen is in the up position.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Are these the little bumper type pads? About 3/8"diameter clear "silicone" type material? If so you can get them at Home Depot or Lowes iin the section with furniture glides etc. That's an interesting use for them, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bobmws said:
Are these the little bumper type pads? About 3/8"diameter clear "silicone" type material? If so you can get them at Home Depot or Lowes iin the section with furniture glides etc. That's an interesting use for them, thanks for the info.
They are the same except the larger squared off versions seem to work better. They will leave a slight residue when removed and the best way to remove the residue is with a silicone lubricant spray and a soft cotton clothe.

There is nothing magic about these though. Anything that disrupts the air flow at the lip edge will do the same.

I had posted some pictures on the previous I-BMW site but those pictures appear to be gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Oldtimer

I am surrounded by Meijers here in Indiana- I can go into one tomorrow and check to see if they have them if you want. I am working several hours from home- If they don't have them here they may have themat the meijers at home.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi JDGT

Thanks for the offer. I spent a frustrating afternoon yesterday looking through stores and was only able to find them either as small foam circles or the rubber variety. If you could find them for me,give me a price including postage I would gladly send you the money. There is no hurry, the seasons shot now anyway. You can reach me at [email protected] if you are so inclined and it isn't to much of a pain in the butt.

Regards,
Oldtimer

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Oldtimer

I found them at Meijers and at Home Depot. They are made by Waxman. They have a website but I couldn't find a good picture on it www.waxmancpg.com
Product 2156 is a 10mm or 3/8 inch domed clear plastic with sticky on the back. Comes 20 to a pack. This sounds like wht you were looking for.
Product 2153 are the 1/2 inch version but are not domed. They are almost cylindrical , probably 3 mm tall and have a slight taper on the sides, They are still round , but not domed. Picture it as domed and cut the top 1/3 off (flat top)

They are rediculously cheap - if you want them just tell me where and I will send them next week. It will take me that long to finish the egg nog.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
JDGT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks JDGT !!!

Wow, fast, competent, and very informative, Thanks a bunch. I'll send you a pm tomorrow. Right now got to get back to the celebrations before I land in the doghouse.

Merry Christmas to all,
Oldtimer

·
Registered
296 Posts
To further the reference to Home Depot. Yes they are available there. Look for the display where you would find items like felt pads (to put on the bottom of things like a lamp, vase etc) to prevent scuffing of furniture. Most of these items are made by Shepard Ind. The little plastic nubbies are in this display. This topic was bantied about several years ago. Maybe you can provide the masses here with a fresh review of their effectiveness.

Jim

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rumble Strips

Wings said:
Would the "rumblestrips" they have for helmets work too?
The strips may not be as effective across the screen as they are on the helmet. They are worth a try if you have the money to test them. I haven't seen the strip in person but have described the use of Wilbers' Wind Dots on the helmet in the exact same location/distribution. Again, there were pictures on the old site from many years ago.

The wind dots that seem to work best are shaped like a pyramid with the top half cut off. These have a square base. The larger size is better than the smaller.

To make a Wind Dots rumble strip, use a strip of tape and position it across the helmet as shown for the rumble strip on the referenced web page. Then place a series of wind dots spaced across the tape. You may need to experiment with position of the tape and of the spacing of the dots along the tape. A good quality electrical tape from 3M is recommended (or other removable tape from 3M) as these leave very little residue when removed and the residue is easily removed with a little silicone spray lubricant. For hot weather you may want to remove the adhesive from the wind dots and replace it with a silicone based adhesive. The dots may be spray painted after a light sanding if you want something that matches the helmet color or gives a colored pattern. Leaving them clear gives a neat effect at night when the light from other vehicle lights shines through them.

Tape and silicone adhesive may also be used across the lip of the screen with the larger size of the square wind dots.

Pictures of a wind dot strip with round dots and a package of the small square dots will be posted in the next day or two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts