BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, the sidestand looks pretty flimsy. Does anyone know of any aftermarket sidestands
or plans to offer one? I don't really want to go with the centerstand.

·
Registered
433 Posts
LowFlyer said:
Hey, the sidestand looks pretty flimsy. Does anyone know of any aftermarket sidestands
It may look flimsy, but it works just fine. I see no reason to replace it.

Ken

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sidestand

Never had a problem either but you must make sure that if there is the slightest downhill grade the motorcycle is in gear and all the backlash is eliminated. I do carry on of those coasters that the MSF distributes in case of soft ground. The "whimpy" sidestand was my biggest concern as well, I didn't want to cut the fairing to mount the centerstand.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've had too many friends that have droppped their bikes in the garage.

I always keep it in gear and roll the slack out before putting the side stand down. Then there's no way it can roll and drop.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hi John . . . Just saying Hello! My only gripe about the sidestand is that BMW could have made the end with a slightly larger footprint. Damn thing almost looks like it's sharpened to a point so that on a hot day it could burrow into hot asphalt! So, keep a coaster in the tank bag!

Regards

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Long time no chat Cesar! Yes, the sidestand on the S better than the LT and about as good as the R12GS. But I still never flirt with danger on any BMW. Always park uphill/or level, never downhill. etc.

Regards from balmy Florida.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hey Erik, unless I can't read (and BTW, I can't find milk in the fridge either), where do you see a bigfoot for the K12S?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
;) Applications for:

K1200S, K1200LT, K1200RS, K1200GT, R80GS, R80ST, R100GS, R100GSPD, R100R (except Mystic),
R850, R1100RT, R1100RS, R1100S, R1100, ALL R1100GS, R1150GS Adventure, R1200GS,

See, I told you I can't read!!!!!!!

Besides, I take enough heat from the Squids with the panniers . . . a bigfoot! My Hayabusa buddies will throw me out of their club!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can report that the stock kickstand DOES burrow well into asphalt; I had it parked on a warmish day in a lot that was paved only a couple of weeks before. In the time it took to eat lunch it descended about 1.5 inches. . . Certainly got MY attention when I saw it like that. . . :eek:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just be a little careful when you park. Bike should be on level ground or facing slightly uphill and leave it in first gear. Obviously, if the ground is soft, put a foot under the kickstand. You gotta think a little bit when you stop.

In almost 200,000 miles on my K12RS and K12S, I've never had a problem. Let's concentrate on real issues.

Ken

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
kencorsun said:
In almost 200,000 miles on my K12RS and K12S, I've never had a problem. Let's concentrate on real issues.Ken
Such as?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi John! Got to sit on the new GT last weekend at the bike show here (NYC). Very comfortable like the RT. It was on a centerstand so I could not feel for the ride height. While the bike feels comfy, it also feels heavy and looks quite bulky with all the full fairing pieces and the extra large side cases. This GT was designed separately form the S that's for sure unlike the previous GT where the add ons "made" it the GT. They should be at the dealers soon. I will stick with my S for now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same concerns about the sidestand. Almost lost it once - so I was always careful to park it uphill and in gear.

Then, last weekend, when I got off the bike (just to retrieve a lens that fell out of my glasses)- it happened. Over she went.... don't know the total cost, but it will easily blow through $1,000. Left fairing has hole knocked through it, fairing support is broken, mirror stem is broken and scratched the left rear fairing by passenger handles.

Be careful out there - it's a jungle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
k1200shoe said:
I had the same concerns about the sidestand. Almost lost it once - so I was always careful to park it uphill and in gear.

Then, last weekend, when I got off the bike (just to retrieve a lens that fell out of my glasses)- it happened. Over she went.... don't know the total cost, but it will easily blow through $1,000. Left fairing has hole knocked through it, fairing support is broken, mirror stem is broken and scratched the left rear fairing by passenger handles.

Be careful out there - it's a jungle.
I know that terrible feeling. I had the same experience with my previous Ducati. It is not always possible to find a parking spot with the right surface/inclination for the side stand, hence my strong recommendation for the centre stand. This is one of the factors (though not the main one :) in my decision to buy the K1200S - it has the centre stand option. And the best one I have used too. With others it is a major effort to bend your back and heave away. With the KS, it is just a matter of standing on the lever and a small push on the rear hand rail with very little effort.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Side Stand...........

LowFlyer said:
Never downhill incline (whatsoever, even 5%), first gear. MANY have tipped over. Plus, have you read that sustained storage/parking on side stand creates (from what I have heard) excessive oil being accumulated in one side of the motor?. That supposedly is why some guys get a little smoke coming out after lengthy amounts of time on sidestand.
I always park mine on centerstand.

·
Registered
94 Posts
RedHawK12GT said:
have you read that sustained storage/parking on side stand creates (from what I have heard) excessive oil being accumulated in one side of the motor?. That supposedly is why some guys get a little smoke coming out after lengthy amounts of time on sidestand.
On the brick yes. Oil can seep past the rings & burn off upon start up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Center stand works just fine. Rarely us the side stand. Too much room for error...$$$

1 - 19 of 19 Posts