BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have found the XM, riding has taken on a whole new enjoyment!! I have also found out that on my 2004 K1200GT that when I stand up my helmet noise is almost non-existent. When I put the windshield in the up position it gets better, but not as quiet as when I stand up. When I sit normal on the bike and the windshield is in the down position the noise is the worst.
Does anybody have any experience with this and what fixes, if any are there?

I have a Quantum /f helmet, and am 6’ tall, if that has any bearing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Reducing helmet noise

motorrad4fun said:
Since I have found the XM, riding has taken on a whole new enjoyment!! I have also found out that on my 2004 K1200GT that when I stand up my helmet noise is almost non-existent. When I put the windshield in the up position it gets better, but not as quiet as when I stand up. When I sit normal on the bike and the windshield is in the down position the noise is the worst.
Does anybody have any experience with this and what fixes, if any are there?

I have a Quantum /f helmet, and am 6’ tall, if that has any bearing.
1) Wear earplugs - cuts out whote noise, music gets thru.
2) Install shorter windscreen - reduces compressed air at head level (like standing up).

Matt McCabe

·
Registered
152 Posts
I heartily agree with the ear plug suggestion. If I'm not listening to sat radio or the radar detector I use the the little foamy ear plugs. For excellent noise reduction and stereo or mono reception I use Etymotic ER 6 ( www.etymotic.com ) ear phones; you can find them on the net for about $85-90. I also bought a container of lubricant at a hearing aid shop that creates an excellent 'seal' for plugs or phones; actually K-Y jelly does the same thing. If you want to hook up more than the radio there is quite a bit of info in the archives if you care to do a search.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I purchased an Aeroflow Sport Windscreen. Does'nt look as good as the stock screen but will get rid of most of the turbulence and a lot of the noise. I am 5'6" and have a Quauntum II helmet.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Perfect quietness has never been achieved with any profile screen that still looks nice on the bike as far as I know. There are several intermediate attempts and aftermarket screens to choose, but results vary with rider height, helmet, speed and screen height. If you get it too good your helmet won't ventilate or visor won't clear in the rain.

After trying most things I went back to a stock screen and higher seat. Air noise becomes just smooth air at all speeds, without low frequency buffeting - and earplugs kill that easy. If the weather is really awfull on a long cruise, I pop the screen up, lower the seat and lean more forward over the tank.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
46 Posts
voxmagna said:
Perfect quietness has never been achieved with any profile screen that still looks nice on the bike as far as I know. There are several intermediate attempts and aftermarket screens to choose, but results vary with rider height, helmet, speed and screen height. If you get it too good your helmet won't ventilate or visor won't clear in the rain.

After trying most things I went back to a stock screen and higher seat. Air noise becomes just smooth air at all speeds, without low frequency buffeting - and earplugs kill that easy. If the weather is really awfull on a long cruise, I pop the screen up, lower the seat and lean more forward over the tank.
He speaks truth.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used to wear ear plugs all the time.Then bought an Areoflow standard shield. In the up position its quiet,well quiet enough. tho if I have to buy another shield I think i'll go for the 4 inch taller one. Bad news, its ugly as sin and doesnt look like it belongs on the bike. But on those 25 degree morning rides its real purdy to have in front of ya! and it doesnt let the bike handle as well at high speeds as the stock shield either.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Windshield noise

I am one that has gone to the RS windshield, and find it quieter than the GT windshield. If I put the RS windshield up in the high position, it pretty much mimicks the GT windshield (when down) and puts my helmet in the buffeting. I'm 5' 10", but long in the body ?!?.
For serious miles, I'll put my Parabellum windshield on which is pretty much a cone of silence.
I have my GT windshield, and an uninstalled laminar lip because I haven't gotten myself to that point yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
noise

I installed the Laminar Lip for 75 beans it was the greatest investment. I now ride on my 03 Gt without earplugs and my mp3 sounds sweet .

·
Registered
848 Posts
put on an addition

add a Laminar Lip and you will reduce the noise.
I am 5'10' 31" inseam and it worked for me

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Lip

I got a Laminar Lip also, it improved the situation considerably. For what it's worth, once you remove it a few times to clean, you will find it won't hold as well with just the super velcro dots. I lost one and upon reorder, the guy from the Lip company sent me some plastic bolts and nuts.....this one isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Julian said:
I heartily agree with the ear plug suggestion. If I'm not listening to sat radio or the radar detector I use the the little foamy ear plugs. For excellent noise reduction and stereo or mono reception I use Etymotic ER 6 ( www.etymotic.com ) ear phones; you can find them on the net for about $85-90. I also bought a container of lubricant at a hearing aid shop that creates an excellent 'seal' for plugs or phones; actually K-Y jelly does the same thing. If you want to hook up more than the radio there is quite a bit of info in the archives if you care to do a search.

Amen on the Etymotics. This was the best $90 I've spent in relation to bike toys. I have the ER-6i model which has one extra flange for noise isolation. I've yet to find any earplug or earphone that comes close. They seat nicely deep in your ear as to not interfere with your helmet. Feels weird the first few times you use them, and then you won't wanna take them out.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Noise

I have to go with the Lippers. The Laminar Lip is a very good product. :thumb:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am 5"10" and had that problem. I added the Laminar Lip putting the hook & loop as high as i could on the shield. That solved it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go with the Laminar Lip and the ER6i ear buds...life has never been sooooooo good and quiet. I'm 5'9", 30" inseam, I have KBC Wolf, Scorpion 700, HJC Symax helmets, they are all about the same behing the lip/screen combo...I keep the screen in the lower position ...with the lip it is much quieter than the screen alone in either the lowest or highest positon...I have an '03 GT ... I keep the seat in higher position...at least i think it's in the higher position, hard to tell sometimes...i'm just glad to get it back on and locked :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
My .02

Lots of advice here, thought I'd add mine to the mix..

I test rode an '02 RS with the standard screen and up or down there was way too much wind noise for my liking.

My '04 GT's standard screen is better in this regard than the RS's but is still unacceptably loud.

The air rush comes off the top of the screen and slams into my face shield / top of helmet area... what do you expect.

I have not tried the Lip or a tall Parabellum. I have a tall Cee Baileys but have not installed it yet either.

So... All that said I'm pretty happy with the Aeroflow Tall Touring set-up that I purchased used from one of these forums.

It's tall enough to send the air rush up and over my helmet while just low enough to let me look over it when it is in the up position.

I think I understand what the shorter is better crowd (clean air) is getting at but I've had naked bikes and they were all too noisy for me. I was young and didn't have much knowledge or imagination regarding modifying a scooter to suit my needs and requirements. I quit riding for years because of it.

DMilan
'04GT
"05GS

1 - 20 of 42 Posts