BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've has some close calls with the wind on the S.(maybe cause the fairing is solid?)

When I was in West Va a few weeks ago, I ended up in a bad storm and had to cross a bridge with real bad crosswinds.

I started out in the left lane, centered, by the time the wind was done with me, I was in the right lane, with a car inches away and couldn't do a thing about it.

I've had several "Oh' shit" moments since...

Anyone else had some close calls?

Seems the wind flys this bike like a kite.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Torque arm

sportrider said:
I've has some close calls with the wind on the S.(maybe cause the fairing is solid?)

When I was in West Va a few weeks ago, I ended up in a bad storm and had to cross a bridge with real bad crosswinds.

I started out in the left lane, centered, by the time the wind was done with me, I was in the right lane, with a car inches away and couldn't do a thing about it.

I've had several "Oh' shit" moments since...

Anyone else had some close calls?

Seems the wind flys this bike like a kite.
By comparison mine is more sensitive to the wind than the K/RS which is understandable because of the weight difference but have not experienced anything so dramatic as yoy on it yet. Wonder if that new torque arm and the quicker handling had anything to do with it.

Always a trade off of some type when we make a change, huh?

Doug

·
Registered
84 Posts
..The Santa Ana Winds...

I had an experience once crossing over from the I-15 NB Freeway to I-10 WB in Ontario, CA. The location of this area is ideal for extreme winds when the Santa Ana winds are howling through the Cajon Pass at 60 to 85 mph+... The overpass connection is elevated about 75 feet in the air and the wind was whipping so bad that sand and dust was blowing OVER the TOP of the overpass...

I was on a (then new) 1991 Yamaha FZR-600R... Needless to say, for a second, I thought I was gonna die!! :wtf I had to just start on one side and power through to the 2nd without getting creamed by the other cage drivers and truckers.

:coffee It's just the nature of the Sportbike Beast and has nothing to do with BMW vs. Yamaha vs. Honda, etc. It's all about weight & wing area, err, side surface area of the vehicle.

I understand that truckers have a pretty tough time with wind, too... ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
About 10 years ago I was in a group of riders returning from Quebec. We were just north of the border in NH and it's fairly curvy there...nothing drastic, but you do have to lean. I was on an R1100RS - brand new. Husband is riding a bit behind me when he sees me take the curve and the wind blasts me from the side and straightens me out of my lean. Thus, I'm no longer turning, but going straight. And pointed off the road and actually went into the gravel shoulder which fell away rather sharply into a ravine only inches from my tires. He thought I was going over for sure, but I corrected and got back on the pavement.

When we stopped for the border crossing, some of our companions came over to talk to me about my great save. I think my heart was pounding so hard that I thought it might punch its way through my chest.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i don't think any bike except maybe the heaviest of cruisers is not going to be effected by high winds especially in the circumstances you describe. with that said i got caught in a thunderstorm about two weeks ago and the "S" did pretty good as I was cruising at 60 mph on I95 outside philly. i have no idea how fast the wind was blowing but i'd guess some of the gusts were 35-40 mph. i was surrounded by cages so there was little room for error. i could feel the wind hitting the bike and i had to make a few minor adjustments but never did the wind push me out of my travel path.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it was the first time in 35+ years of riding where I could not control the bike. There's no doubt in my mind, I would have creamed the car, if he didn't get
out of my way.

I also ride dirt bikes too and I could not have saved the bike if I wanted too!

I told my buddy when we stopped, if anything will kill me, it will be the wind, NOT a cage.

Most fairings have a slot or a hole, but the S has neither.

So if I'm a greasy spot on the road, you guys know why!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hadn't noticed that my S is more sensitive to x-winds than my old RS... Both seem extremely stable imo... of course in storm winds any bike will be thrown from lane to lane and the only thing that will help will be if the bike weighs 400kgs!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I noticed it

Between my LT and the S I would have to say that the LT is a heck of lot more stable, granted girth and weight from the LT helps but still.

Depending on the car you get behind and the kind of wind from the Aerodynamics of that car/SUV/Truck the S fells way way too loose. If you are sport mode even worse. What's interesting is that is not like a side to side type movement, as you get on the LT sometimes or on my RT I used to have. No on the S is like this feeling of looseness from the BOTTOM, like the wind hits the bottom belly pan and lifts the bike UP!!!. That is the feeling I have.

I am getting used to it. But it sure has given me a couple of scares. I wonder if the new GT is like that.

I have been riding my LT for the last couple of days and man what a difference, is actually HARD to go from the S to the LT and back very strange and different feeling. Still I like the tranny on my LT better. Ever since I changed to the RED Synthetic stuff its very very smooth shifting. That clunk from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on the S is weird.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darcy,

Yea, kinda scarry...never experienced anything quite like it here in Georgia, but
up North, whoa...I may need to keep that extra 25 lbs that I've been trying to lose!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Crosswinds

The worst crosswind bike I've ever ridden was the R1150RT. When gusts hit me on that thing, I sometimes thought I was going to go down. K1200R is much better behaved, but then again with no fairing it should be. My 490 pound S3T gets blown around a lot, but it is so well balanced and handles so well that it doesn't really bother you that much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First day scare on Richmond Bridge

Thanks for this topic!

I took my new S over the NorCal Richmond Bridge last weekend and was white-knuckled trying to hold my lane at 65 mph in the afternoon crosswinds. Nothing sharpens the senses like the possibility of dumping a bike with 26 miles on it ;-)

What is the accepted wisdom for how to deal with crosswinds? I have been riding for 22 years, but never had a bike before that presented so much unbroken broadside to the wind. Pointers to sites/books/references would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
baduncadonk said:
Thanks for this topic!

I took my new S over the NorCal Richmond Bridge last weekend and was white-knuckled trying to hold my lane at 65 mph in the afternoon crosswinds. Nothing sharpens the senses like the possibility of dumping a bike with 26 miles on it ;-)

What is the accepted wisdom for how to deal with crosswinds? I have been riding for 22 years, but never had a bike before that presented so much unbroken broadside to the wind. Pointers to sites/books/references would be much appreciated!
I don't know the answer - I've been riding for 35+ years and I'm in the same boat. I told my riding buddy that it will be the wind that takes me out, not a cage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Went to Monterey up Hwy 1 on Fri and back on Sat, with both side cases and top case loaded and the wife on back. (29th anniversary ride) Anyone who knows the road knows that it is twisty and can be chilly and WINDY. A very eye opening adventure on the new GT! Especially around Big Sur when I saw the sign that said "pavement ends" Fortunately there was only about 1/4-1/2 mile of gravel road. So we rode the more gentle twisties of hwy 38 to Big Bear on Sunday. :) From Long Beach

·
Registered
12 Posts
NorCal wind and bike control -- please advise!

I rode up 101 North this afternoon and was again blown all of the road after the GG Bridge. I feel like a total puss for being so freaked out by the crosswinds--particularly as I have ridden for 22 years and otherwise feel very comfortable at high speeds and in varied riding situations. The K1200S just seems to act as a sail in ways that my previous naked bikes haven't.

I would love to hear how others handle quickly shifting crosswinds. Am I stupid to slow it down to a speed where I am fully comfortable (sometimes as low as 45 mph), or should I be accelerating to a point where side wind impact is mitigated by strong airflow from front?

I really appreciate any advice offered! It sucks to fear heading north. . .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't feel stupid - always go with your instincts

baduncadonk said:
I rode up 101 North this afternoon and was again blown all of the road after the GG Bridge. I feel like a total puss for being so freaked out by the crosswinds--particularly as I have ridden for 22 years and otherwise feel very comfortable at high speeds and in varied riding situations. The K1200S just seems to act as a sail in ways that my previous naked bikes haven't.

I would love to hear how others handle quickly shifting crosswinds. Am I stupid to slow it down to a speed where I am fully comfortable (sometimes as low as 45 mph), or should I be accelerating to a point where side wind impact is mitigated by strong airflow from front?

I really appreciate any advice offered! It sucks to fear heading north. . .
Don't EVER feel stupid for doing the safe course of action! I think the "S" means more than Speed (Schnell)... It probably also stands for Sail...

Here are the two (2) methods I use in dealing with heavy cross winds:
1.) Slow down to the speed limit or the safe speed for the conditions. I you need to, stick with the big truckers... They're in the same boat as you and sometimes you can shadow in the lee of their wind to reduce the crosswind on you. BUT be careful here, as they can travel into your lane without notice... :wtf

2.) The effect of a constant strong crosswind is the same as turning on a corner. So sometimes, you can position your body to take the "turn" towards the wind. Be careful with this while going under overpasses or other "wind blocks" as the wind will tend to shear from high to nearly nothing in a few milliseconds.

As with the Cage Drivers, what you need to do is predict (as much as possible) what the wind will be doing to you. Look out for the wind blocks that are coming up and how you would deal with them... :ricky

BTW: Increasing your speed may help in certain conditions, but normally it has an adverse effect and will cause you to run out of road and options in a real hurry. Better to be run off the road at 45 mph than 75 mph... The difference can be several hundred more G's of deceleration... :hanged

Stay loose and go with your instincts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey look! I just made it to "Junior Level" status... Woo Hoo!! :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
One approach for cross winds is to reduce the bike speed where strong cross winds are expected. If you look at it with vector addition the higher the bike speed (75mph) in relation to the cross wind (30mph) the less the deflection angle but you cover a lot more ground in the same time it takes to correct the bike and are possibly more at risk of a high speed get off.

At a lower bike speed (45 - 50mph) with the same cross wind (30mph) the wind hits "harder" with a potentially greater deflection angle but the reaction time - which is the same for both circumstances - allows the rider to correct with less distance travelled at the wrong heading and a potentially lower get off speed.

Its a bit easier when you're on a sailboat as you can see the "bullets" / wind gusts coming with the sea surface conditions but a "bolt from the blue" with few visual cues on land is serious particularly at high speeds and not a lot of room to move.

Ride safe - ride longer............years longer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
1973 kawasaki 900 Z1

I wish I knew why the z1 seemed to do better than my 2000 krs in wind, although I have not been realy moved around on the rs.One strange factor could be the handle bar type mounted fairing that was used on alot of em ,( not a vetter) but it seemed to take care of itself in strong wind , or a slight slip in a corner, gravel, ect. ,,,,,, or is it just me ?? ( I still have one of those fairings ) we have some wind in oklahoma too ,, but I went to yellow stone 3 times and canada 2 of em and it turns itself into the wind (the z1) still love the rs though ,,,.. joe

S

·
0 Posts
The K12/K13S's have a relatively low center of gravity with the motor tilted forward 55deg; Jap I4's higher center of gravity with upright motor.

When riding the K13S over waterways (NC coast) on our steep highrise bridges (especially the 1-lane each way ones) with very low sides, it can be quite nerve-wracking!! And you don't dare follow a large truck/bus in those conditions.

The solution to "sailing around up there"...
To hunch my upper body over the gas tank and stay lower. I don't get knocked side-to-side nearly as much, and often don't have to reduce speeds. And never follow a large truck or bus or try to anticipate blasts on a bike while on these highrise bridges for if you miscalculate, you could veer into oncoming lane head-on or go right over the side, dropping 80' below!!

Your higher side profile, along with big side fairings, allows wind gusts to more easily torque you & bike over while rotating around the "fulcrum" of the Beemer's lower center of gravity. Lowering your profile means less area for wind gusts to catch "more sail". But there is no way I'm riding on leg of trip hunched over for hundreds of miles... "Tom" will keep the light on for you at the motel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts