BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So apparently the stock windscreen option is terrible because the wind hits right underneath the helmet and shoves all the noise right into your face.

At first I didn’t believe it, but then I stuck my head forward over the windscreen while riding, and low-and-behold the noise went away.

I ride with earplugs, and the noise still becomes absolutely DEAFENING above 110mph. I thought this was normal wind noise regardless of anything, but now it turns out it;’s the windscreen.

I would never have guessed. Does anyone else know what I mean? Anyone find a good solution?

I should mention I’m 6’ tall with a normal build

This guy seems to like his Zero Gravity:

An alternative is to actually lower the windscreen, which apparently the S Sport Screen does from Wunerlich?

Still $160 is pretty damn steep.

·
Registered
BMW K1300S, BMW R1200 GSA, BMW HP2 Sport, BMW K1,BMW R90S
11 Posts
Interesting. I installed an MRA double bubble ecreen on my first K13 which it turned out was a lot noisier than the stock screen on my second K13. I´m 5' 10* and a standard build. The MRA came into its own when I was riding on a motorway at higher speeds - maybe 90 - 100 mph - when I could tuck down and get the benefit of the airflow going comoletely over my head.

Maybe the issue is the helmet you wear and the way it interacts with the airflow over the standard screen.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the issue is the helmet you wear and the way it interacts with the airflow over the standard screen.
Well the issue is that the shitty turbulent air is hitting right at my neck and launching a hurricane cyclone in underneath my helmet where all the noise gets in.

The windscreen needs to either be higher up so it hits my helmet, or lower down so it hits my chest.

I imagine you’re an inch lower so the turbulent shit from the stock screen is hitting your helmet

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know exactly what you’re talking about and it’s almost better to ride a naked bike than the way the wind screen operates on the K 1200 I have cut it down now three times and I have finally got it to where the air hits me in the chest and does not put the air from the motorcycle on or under my helmet. I bought the bike secondhand and it came with two windscreens I’m not sure which one is on it right now but that is the one I have cut down and I’m good with it with the Heli bars once I do my bar conversion it will be perfect. If you’re going to ride around at 110 miles an hour you’re going to duck down behind it probably anyway personally I have no interest maybe a quick blast to 100 or so the bike has lots of torque I love to short shift my motorcycles. I usually will not make a purchase on a bike unless it’s got good Torque. Not much for revving the piss out of things

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know exactly what you’re talking about and it’s almost better to ride a naked bike than the way the wind screen operates on the K 1200 I have cut it down now three times and I have finally got it to where the air hits me in the chest and does not put the air from the motorcycle on or under my helmet. I bought the bike secondhand and it came with two windscreens I’m not sure which one is on it right now but that is the one I have cut down and I’m good with it with the Heli bars once I do my bar conversion it will be perfect. If you’re going to ride around at 110 miles an hour you’re going to duck down behind it probably anyway personally I have no interest maybe a quick blast to 100 or so the bike has lots of torque I love to short shift my motorcycles. I usually will not make a purchase on a bike unless it’s got good Torque. Not much for revving the piss out of things
Hah, as if I have to downshift. This bike has power... always. Just stick it into 6th gear, and no matter how fast I’m going there is always moar. I think the engineers wanted to add a 7th gear, and I wish they had. I’ve started to get really bad about not giving two shits what the speed limit is, so I’ll happily cross the state doing 100-130 (which honestly isn’t that fast, except we’ve been traumatized by a greedy police state to believe ludicrous bullshit). I feel like the bike is in its happy place at 110, except the category 5 storm it throws into my ears.

I actually have an extra windshield, did you just sawzall it to make it shorter?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 6' 2", and for best results I sit up as tall as I can and get my head just above that turbulent area. I suppose the idea is that you tuck in low against the tank when traveling at high speeds. I have a tank bag so can't do that. However, I've been to 150mph numerous times with the bag.

I've seen the same thing on my old R100RS and K100RS models. Gotta get the helmet above the turbulence.

Incidentally, the helmet does make a big difference. My Schuberth C3Pro is much, much quieter than any of my previous helmets. (Including older Schuberths and some cheapies).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hah, as if I have to downshift. This bike has power... always. Just stick it into 6th gear, and no matter how fast I’m going there is always moar. I think the engineers wanted to add a 7th gear, and I wish they had. I’ve started to get really bad about not giving two shits what the speed limit is, so I’ll happily cross the state doing 100-130 (which honestly isn’t that fast, except we’ve been traumatized by a greedy police state to believe ludicrous bullshit). I feel like the bike is in its happy place at 110, except the category 5 storm it throws into my ears.

I actually have an extra windshield, did you just sawzall it to make it shorter?
I used a grinder with a metal Carborundum blade very thin I taped it off marked it cut it filed it sanded it and polished it I do not like the big tall wind screens on the sport bikes. And I’m not traveling at high speeds, I paid $2800 a year in insurance for my nine motorcycles I don’t need any tickets or the wife will go ballistic and she’s my agent LOL

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$2800?!

That’s insane. So you can’t ride your bikes out properly because you have too many? Honestly at that point I’d sell everything, keep the K and a ninja 250r so you have the whole spectrum. then ride them like they’re meant to be ridden.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am not selling anything. Yes 2800 for seven street legal bikes with 2 tickets on my record right now. I don’t have a ninja 250 R nor will I ever own one. I ride the bikes as their intended you do not have to do triple digits To enjoy and be an enthusiast of motorcycles !! Also a collector. I have high horsepower classic cars as well that doesn’t mean I have to drive them triple digits either. I’m not sure what state you’re in but out here exhibition of speed or if they can prove negligence or possibility racing was going on they can take your shit. I didn’t get where I am today and collect And build the things I have built to get rid of them....just because someone said to.....

Attachments

Reactions: Douglas M

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The K12S/K13S intended speed is triple digits mph. It’s designed for the autobahn. I feel like 110 is the lower end of where it likes to sit. It’s really unfortunate that we don’t live in a free country. They’ll also send you to pound-you-in-the-ass prison for going those speeds here. It’s a risk, but I still have my ass virginity.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So here’s my two cents. My K 1200 RS has a very small stock windscreen. It puts my head and shoulders above the turbulence, and the wind at high speeds acts as a bit of a lift to your shoulders and it makes it perfectly comfortable. The windscreen actually funnels the air up towards you so that you get some support and takes weight off of your arms. I used to ride 280+ Days a year and did get a significantly larger windscreen for riding during the winter. This made me warmer but also made me uncomfortable at higher speeds because the turbulence would come over the top of the windscreen, buffet me in the back of my head and actually shove me downwards.

Bottom line, my opinion is BMW actually does a really good job with a stock set up as long as you ride it properly and take advantage of the intended aerodynamics of the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The K12S/K13S intended speed is triple digits mph. It’s designed for the autobahn. I feel like 110 is the lower end of where it likes to sit. It’s really unfortunate that we don’t live in a free country. They’ll also send you to pound-you-in-the-ass prison for going those speeds here. It’s a risk, but I still have my ass virginity.
I live in southern Nevada and ride my K1100 LT at triple digits all the time. But I lived in Massachusetts up until five years ago, speed limits there are much slower and there are cops everywhere. The South West is the best place to ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll chime in with my experience of the K1200GT.
When I bought the bike, it had a ztec screen. Fully up, it did a great job of protecting me from the elements and was nice and quiet. In Summer, if I brought it down to the lowest setting to get some airflow, it was pretty noisey.
I took the original screen that came with the bike as well, cut that down using the curve of the ztec as a template. The curve of the new "short" screen starts just as the fairing finishes, so it is more like a cockpit fairing screen.

Now, with that screen on, my helmet is in clean air, with the air directed from the screen hitting the tops of my shoulders. It is much quieter than the ztec at it's lower position, but not as quiet as the ztec at it's upper position. But the advantage is I get lots of helmet ventialation during the summer.

If I raise the cutdown screen to it's hightest positon, it buffets similar to the ztec at it's lowest positon .

So what I do now is
1. Sunny hot days - cutdown screen at it's lowest positoin
2. If it's raining - cutdown screen at high position with earplugs and put up with it.
3. Touring - two up -swap cutdown screen for ztec as the higher screen lets me hear the intercom much better, and gives more protetion to the pillion.

If I was to only have one option, it would be the cutdown screen at it's lower positoin, as the helmet in clear air is the best compromise.

If Interested I can get a picture oft the cut-down screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts